Airfirelds and meteorological observing stations

  • RICHARD
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
      Hi all

      Is there a wpt or GPX file out there of the co-ords Airfields and/or Meteorological observing stations?

      Regards,
      Richard
    • Bert
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
        I have three collections of airfields in Australia, but it is not
        recent. One comes from ERSA http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/aip.asp

        WP,DM,YAYR,-19.35068,147.19751,,,AYR U QLD UNLICENCED
        WP,DM,YBAD,-30.57301,149.05501,,,BARADINE U NSW UNLICENCED
        WP,DM,YBAF,-27.34218,153.00484,,,ARCHERFIELD QLD AIRPORT
        WP,DM,YBAM,-10.57051,142.27568,,,BAMAGA/INJINOO U QLD UNLICENCED

        I also have a file with aviation waypoints, 1131 of them. It is in Excel
        format

        WATLE 33 55.3 S 150 25.2 E
        WAZZA 36 47.9 S 146 37.8 E
        WEAVA 32 17.1 S 148 08.8 E
        WEBEL 33 37.2 S 137 40.4 E
        WEENA 12 00.0 S 150 18.0 E

        There is a site called fallingrain that lists all met stations, but you
        need to write a program which raid the positions from it to make wpt or
        gpx file. It is way too much to do manually.

        http://www.fallingrain.com/world/index.html

        It is kept updated and is world wide.

        On 3/11/2012 6:31 PM, RICHARD wrote:

        > Hi all
        >
        > Is there a wpt or GPX file out there of the co-ords Airfields and/or
        > Meteorological observing stations?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Richard

      • RICHARD
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2012
          Thanks Bert
          I have since found a good list of METAR stns which also includes WMO numbers as follows, but thanks for your Australian one

          With this list imported into XL one needs to replace N,S,E,W lat lon idents with minus signs for S and W. Any ideas how to do it in XL:-

          ! Author: Greg Thompson NCAR/RAP
          ! please mail corrections to gthompsn (at) ucar (dot) edu
          ! Date: 14 AUG 2012
          ! This file is continuously maintained at:
          ! http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/stations.txt
          !
          ! This file is organized by state alphabetically, then by Canadian
          ! province and then all other stations. The file was compiled from lists
          ! of the following:
          ! METAR sites
          ! NEXRADs
          ! rawinsonde sites
          ! wind profilers
          ! WFOs, RFCs, NCEP-Centers
          ! AIRMET/SIGMET station list (VORs?)
          ! ARTCCs (Air Route Traffic Control Centers - FAA)
          ! old SAO sites for archive data access (flagged in a special manner)
          !
          ! Country abbreviations from ISO 3166
          ! source: ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/doc/iso/iso3166-countrycodes.txt
          ! another: http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html
          !
          ! CD = 2 letter state (province) abbreviation
          ! STATION = 16 character station long name
          ! ICAO = 4-character international id
          ! IATA = 3-character (FAA) id
          ! SYNOP = 5-digit international synoptic number
          ! LAT = Latitude (degrees minutes)
          ! LON = Longitude (degree minutes)
          ! ELEV = Station elevation (meters)
          ! M = METAR reporting station. Also Z=obsolete? site
          ! N = NEXRAD (WSR-88D) Radar site
          ! V = Aviation-specific flag (V=AIRMET/SIGMET end point, A=ARTCC T=TAF U=T+V)
          ! U = Upper air (rawinsonde=X) or Wind Profiler (W) site
          ! A = Auto (A=ASOS, W=AWOS, M=Meso, H=Human, G=Augmented) (H/G not yet impl.)
          ! C = Office type F=WFO/R=RFC/C=NCEP Center
          ! Digit that follows is a priority for plotting (0=highest)
          ! Country code (2-char) is last column

          Regards, Richard
        • Bert
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2012
            There is a find and replace function in XL, and you can also make use of
            the functions.

            Another better way is to save the file as a CSV comma delimited file,
            which is an ordinary text file, there is previously free program from
            http://www.funduc.com/ called just "search and replace" but I see they
            want money for it now.

            Look here.
            http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-search-and-replace-utility.html

            You can also put it into Word which has a better search and replace
            function.

            Sometimes you have to tag the entries, that means, add a column before
            them for instance, so you can create a unique string to search on.

            On 6/11/2012 6:30 PM, RICHARD wrote:

            > Thanks Bert
            > I have since found a good list of METAR stns which also includes WMO
            > numbers as follows, but thanks for your Australian one
            >
            > With this list imported into XL one needs to replace N,S,E,W lat lon
            > idents with minus signs for S and W. Any ideas how to do it in XL:-
            >
            > ! Author: Greg Thompson NCAR/RAP
            > ! please mail corrections to gthompsn (at) ucar (dot) edu
            > ! Date: 14 AUG 2012
            > ! This file is continuously maintained at:
            > ! http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/stations.txt
            > !
            > ! This file is organized by state alphabetically, then by Canadian
            > ! province and then all other stations. The file was compiled from lists
            > ! of the following:
            > ! METAR sites
            > ! NEXRADs
            > ! rawinsonde sites
            > ! wind profilers
            > ! WFOs, RFCs, NCEP-Centers
            > ! AIRMET/SIGMET station list (VORs?)
            > ! ARTCCs (Air Route Traffic Control Centers - FAA)
            > ! old SAO sites for archive data access (flagged in a special manner)
            > !
            > ! Country abbreviations from ISO 3166
            > ! source: ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/doc/iso/iso3166-countrycodes.txt
            > ! another:
            > http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list-en1.html
            > !
            > ! CD = 2 letter state (province) abbreviation
            > ! STATION = 16 character station long name
            > ! ICAO = 4-character international id
            > ! IATA = 3-character (FAA) id
            > ! SYNOP = 5-digit international synoptic number
            > ! LAT = Latitude (degrees minutes)
            > ! LON = Longitude (degree minutes)
            > ! ELEV = Station elevation (meters)
            > ! M = METAR reporting station. Also Z=obsolete? site
            > ! N = NEXRAD (WSR-88D) Radar site
            > ! V = Aviation-specific flag (V=AIRMET/SIGMET end point, A=ARTCC T=TAF
            > U=T+V)
            > ! U = Upper air (rawinsonde=X) or Wind Profiler (W) site
            > ! A = Auto (A=ASOS, W=AWOS, M=Meso, H=Human, G=Augmented) (H/G not yet
            > impl.)
            > ! C = Office type F=WFO/R=RFC/C=NCEP Center
            > ! Digit that follows is a priority for plotting (0=highest)
            > ! Country code (2-char) is last column
            >
            > Regards, Richard

          • Bert
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2012
              Maybe I should explain that with functions a bit better. I don't know
              what the XL sheet looks like so I can't be exact.

              You could write in a blank box a formula like =IF(B3="W",3+2,B5-3) or
              =IF(B3="W","-",B5-3)

              That means that new box you wrote this into read box B3 (the location in
              the spreadsheet, column B and row 3) and if it is W it sums up 3+2 and
              write that, if it is not a W it takes the value in B5 and adds 3. In the
              second case it writes a - sign as text. You can also nest these
              functions, Anything in "" is text, anything else is a math function.

              You can also enter math statements converting M.D.S to D decimals,
              remembering there is 60 minutes to one degree, and 60 seconds to one
              minute.

              Then you copy the _value _of this new column to another column to get
              rid of the formulas. There are also ways to spit columns and merge columns.

              As a sideline, one minute on the surface of the earth is 1,852 meters
              also called a nautical mile, and one tenth of that is called a cable,
              the British navy used to make their ropes to that standard length.

            • Dave Patton
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2012
                On 2012/11/06 2:30 AM, RICHARD wrote:

                > Thanks Bert I have since found a good list of METAR stns which also
                > includes WMO numbers as follows, but thanks for your Australian one
                >
                > With this list imported into XL one needs to replace N,S,E,W lat lon
                > idents with minus signs for S and W. Any ideas how to do it in XL:-

                > ! Author: Greg Thompson NCAR/RAP ! please mail corrections
                > to gthompsn (at) ucar (dot) edu ! Date: 14 AUG 2012 ! This file is
                > continuously maintained at: !
                > http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/stations.txt

                The first lat/lon in that file is 51 53N 176 39W,
                and the first lat/lon for Fiji is 17 45S 177 27E.

                Assume you have those in an worksheet (Excel or OpenOffice Calc),
                using two rows, and columns A, B, C, and D, so cell C2 contains "177".
                Now you can use a formula to extract/manipulate the data.
                Some of what is outlines below can be combined into a formula that
                can do multiple steps in one cell, but it is broken down
                into 'small steps' for ease of explanation. What follows is an
                untested breakdown of the steps, using 'pseudocode', and with the
                first letter designating the worksheet cell.

                E:
                - get the length of the 'minutes of latitude' text
                - len(B)
                - for both lines above, the result is 3

                F:
                - get the numeric(integer) minutes of latitude
                - cint(mid(B,1,(E-1)))
                - line #1 above = 53; line #2 = 45

                G:
                - get the hemisphere for the minutes of latitude
                - mid(B,E,1)
                - line #1 above = N; line #2 = S

                H:
                - convert minutes of latitude hemisphere to +1/-1
                - iif((G="N"),1,-1)
                - line #1 above = 1; line #2 = -1

                I:
                - calculate the signed latitude, in decimal degrees
                - H * cint(A) + (F/60)
                - line #1 above = 51.88333...; line #2 = -17.75

                --
                Dave Patton
                Victoria, B.C.

                Degree Confluence Project:
                Canadian Coordinator
                Technical Coordinator
                http://www.confluence.org/

                Personal website:
                http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
              • RICHARD
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2012
                  Thanks to Bert and Dave. A lot to learn (to me) but it points me in the right direction. The find-and-replace seems likely to work in the end. I recall in DOS in the 1990s that stars (*) and '?' had wild-card meanings for editing text files, but its too long ago, and i dont know if its the same nowadays in XL.

                  Richard

                  --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Bert <kiwino1@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > > !
                  > > ! CD = 2 letter state (province) abbreviation
                  > > ! STATION = 16 character station long name
                  > > ! ICAO = 4-character international id
                  > > ! IATA = 3-character (FAA) id
                  > > ! SYNOP = 5-digit international synoptic number
                  > > ! LAT = Latitude (degrees minutes)
                  > > ! LON = Longitude (degree minutes)
                  > > ! ELEV = Station elevation (meters)
                  > > ! M = METAR reporting station. Also Z=obsolete? site
                  > > ! N = NEXRAD (WSR-88D) Radar site
                  > > ! V = Aviation-specific flag (V=AIRMET/SIGMET end point, A=ARTCC T=TAF
                  > > U=T+V)
                  > > ! U = Upper air (rawinsonde=X) or Wind Profiler (W) site
                  > > ! A = Auto (A=ASOS, W=AWOS, M=Meso, H=Human, G=Augmented) (H/G not yet
                  > > impl.)
                  > > ! C = Office type F=WFO/R=RFC/C=NCEP Center
                  > > ! Digit that follows is a priority for plotting (0=highest)

                • RICHARD
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 9, 2012
                    HI all
                    Further on this. If you want the METAR/WMO Met stns list for later conversion to an Ozie wpt list, the thing to do is simply edit the .txt extension to .csv. The site owner has kindly arranged that doing this switches to a version that gets rid of N,S,E,W in the lat lon and inserts algebraic signs as required for txt-import into ozie. Then, in XL, arrange the column order as required for Ozie wpt txt-import.
                    Richard

                    --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Dave Patton <davep@...> wrote:

                    > On 2012/11/06 2:30 AM, RICHARD wrote:
                    >
                    > > Thanks Bert I have since found a good list of METAR stns which also
                    > > includes WMO numbers as follows, but thanks for your Australian one
                    > >
                    > > With this list imported into XL one needs to replace N,S,E,W lat lon
                    > > idents with minus signs for S and W. Any ideas how to do it in XL:-
                    >

                    > > ! Author: Greg Thompson NCAR/RAP ! please mail corrections
                    > > to gthompsn (at) ucar (dot) edu ! Date: 14 AUG 2012 ! This file is
                    > > continuously maintained at: !
                    > > http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/surface/stations.txt
                    >
                    > The first lat/lon in that file is 51 53N 176 39W,
                    > and the first lat/lon for Fiji is 17 45S 177 27E.
                    >
                    > Assume you have those in an worksheet (Excel or OpenOffice Calc),
                    > using two rows, and columns A, B, C, and D, so cell C2 contains "177".
                    > Now you can use a formula to extract/manipulate the data.
                    > Some of what is outlines below can be combined into a formula that
                    > can do multiple steps in one cell, but it is broken down
                    > into 'small steps' for ease of explanation. What follows is an
                    > untested breakdown of the steps, using 'pseudocode', and with the
                    > first letter designating the worksheet cell.
                    >
                    > E:
                    > - get the length of the 'minutes of latitude' text
                    > - len(B)
                    > - for both lines above, the result is 3
                    >
                    > F:
                    > - get the numeric(integer) minutes of latitude
                    > - cint(mid(B,1,(E-1)))
                    > - line #1 above = 53; line #2 = 45
                    >
                    > G:
                    > - get the hemisphere for the minutes of latitude
                    > - mid(B,E,1)
                    > - line #1 above = N; line #2 = S
                    >
                    > H:
                    > - convert minutes of latitude hemisphere to +1/-1
                    > - iif((G="N"),1,-1)
                    > - line #1 above = 1; line #2 = -1
                    >
                    > I:
                    > - calculate the signed latitude, in decimal degrees
                    > - H * cint(A) + (F/60)
                    > - line #1 above = 51.88333...; line #2 = -17.75
                    >

                    > --
                    > Dave Patton
                    > Victoria, B.C.
                    >
                    > Degree Confluence Project:
                    > Canadian Coordinator
                    > Technical Coordinator
                    > http://www.confluence.org/
                    >
                    > Personal website:
                    > http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/

                  • Wayne
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 9, 2012
                      Hi Bert,
                      Thank you for the example formula and explanation. While I don't have
                      any intention of changing coordinates with it it has been of immense use
                      in finishing off a spreadsheet that I have used for years, but was never
                      'finished'. It's little snippets like your email that are real gold when
                      they come as examples and explanations as well. Once again - thankyou.
                      Wayne