Re: BBS/KAP nautical charts

  • explorerozi
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hi

      Global Mapper does it (import geotiffs -> export BSB)..though no first hand knowledge of process/results. The program is not free but if you have a legitimate use it could prove value for money. Your call.

      Cheers
      Greg

      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Moseley" <maps-2@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know how, or is it even possible, to convert USGS
      > geotiffs to the format NOAA uses for marine charts (.BSB/.KAP)? The
      > Corps of Engineers inland waterway charts are coarse in comparison.
      > This would be for use in the freeware */Open CPN/* (which is
      > terrific for coastal navigation using the NOAA marine charts, all
      > free). I've been using the BSB charts with Ozi for several years and
      > thought it was a good solution, but */Open CPN/* handles navigation
      > through the map directory much better (my apologies to Des, of course).
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Roger
      > Palmer Lake, CO

    • rwcx183
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Moseley" <maps-2@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know how, or is it even possible, to convert USGS
        > geotiffs to the format NOAA uses for marine charts (.BSB/.KAP)? The
        > Corps of Engineers inland waterway charts are coarse in comparison.
        > This would be for use in the freeware */Open CPN/* (which is
        > terrific for coastal navigation using the NOAA marine charts, all
        > free). I've been using the BSB charts with Ozi for several years and
        > thought it was a good solution, but */Open CPN/* handles navigation
        > through the map directory much better (my apologies to Des, of course).
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Roger
        > Palmer Lake, CO

        Roger,

        libbsb can do that, but you have to be well versed in the format of the companion .kap file which contains the georef info, since you must supply a "template" .kap file for the conversion.

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/libbsb/files/latest/download?source=files

        J.G.
      • Bob Maloney
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
          MAPC2MAPC will read calibrated files (including OZI files) and can
          output KAP files. It apparently does not output a corresponding BSB file.

          For what it is worth, I ran a quick test and created a KAP file but was
          unable to load it in MAPTECH.

          It costs something like 15 British pounds but there is a free crippled
          test version. The developer is very active in enhancing the product and
          if it does not work for you, contact him and he will probably look at it
          for you.

          I don't have the the web site handy but if you google, you will find it.

          I find the program useful in creating GARMIN custom files and in merging
          and cropping OZI files. It is well worth the price.

          Hope this helps,

          Bob M
        • rwcx183
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Bob Maloney <Maloneybob@...> wrote:

            > MAPC2MAPC will read calibrated files (including OZI files) and can
            > output KAP files. It apparently does not output a corresponding BSB file.
            >
            > For what it is worth, I ran a quick test and created a KAP file but was
            > unable to load it in MAPTECH.
            >
            > It costs something like 15 British pounds but there is a free crippled
            > test version. The developer is very active in enhancing the product and
            > if it does not work for you, contact him and he will probably look at it
            > for you.
            >
            > I don't have the the web site handy but if you google, you will find it.
            >
            > I find the program useful in creating GARMIN custom files and in merging
            > and cropping OZI files. It is well worth the price.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Bob M

            It sounds like the MAPC2MAPC author was expecting folks to use the tif2bsb, png2bsb, etc programs that are part of libbsb to convert to bsb. MAPC2MAPC handles the .kap metadata file and libbsb handles the image conversion. That could be workable even if a little clunky. At $15, MAPC2MAPC is more than 10x less expensive than the alternative GlobalMapper. Libbsb is of course free.

            J.G.
          • rwcx183
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
              --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "rwcx183" <lgalvin@...> wrote:

              > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Bob Maloney <Maloneybob@> wrote:
              > >
              > > MAPC2MAPC will read calibrated files (including OZI files) and can
              > > output KAP files. It apparently does not output a corresponding BSB file.
              > >
              > > For what it is worth, I ran a quick test and created a KAP file but was
              > > unable to load it in MAPTECH.
              > >
              > > It costs something like 15 British pounds but there is a free crippled
              > > test version. The developer is very active in enhancing the product and
              > > if it does not work for you, contact him and he will probably look at it
              > > for you.
              > >
              > > I don't have the the web site handy but if you google, you will find it.
              > >
              > > I find the program useful in creating GARMIN custom files and in merging
              > > and cropping OZI files. It is well worth the price.
              > >
              > > Hope this helps,
              > >
              > > Bob M
              > >

              > It sounds like the MAPC2MAPC author was expecting folks to use the tif2bsb, png2bsb, etc programs that are part of libbsb to convert to bsb. MAPC2MAPC handles the .kap metadata file and libbsb handles the image conversion. That could be workable even if a little clunky. At $15, MAPC2MAPC is more than 10x less expensive than the alternative GlobalMapper. Libbsb is of course free.
              >
              > J.G.

              Played around a bit with mapc2mapc program and it seems that there are 2 types of BSB chart. One type is where there is a .kap file that is fairly small, containing various metadata about a separate .bsb map image. The other type has both metadata and map image all contained within one .kap file. mapc2mapc and libbsb both produce the combined .kap file type.

              mapc2mapc puts a large number of random red "x" on the resulting image, for the unregistered version, but you can see whether it is worth it to you to purchase a license for $15 or not. mapc2mapc seemed to have difficulty with some fairly basic projections, which is fairly odd considering that no reprojections were being asked of it. Perhaps UTM coordinate system is more to its liking than Lambert Conformal Conic or Albers Equal Area? mapc2mapc also seemed to make some rather drastic changes to the color pallette.

              Libbsb on the other hand, needs a template .kap file to work from, containing the various metadata. Running the tif2bsb program on a tif image along with a template file, will create a single .kap file containing both metadata and bsb image. I did have some success using mapc2mapc to create a combined .kap file (with the red "x"s) and then feeding the .kap file as a template to tifbsb that then converted the original tif image to bsb and combined it with the metadata in the template .kap file to finally produce a fully working .kap bsb chart (minus the red "x"s). The resulting .kap chart imported into Ozi and worked normally.

              J.G.