RE: [OziUsers-L] Re: Adjust Calibration

  • Richard Edwards
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hi

      I’ve done as suggested and have a file movemapcal.dat in the OziExplorer
      file but, after restarting Ozi I do not have “Move map calibration” on the
      map menu. What have I done wrong? I have Ozi v.3.95n and w7 32 bit on my
      netbook.

      Any help would be most appreciated.

      Richard

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2012
        Richard Edwards wrote:

        > I’ve done as suggested and have a file movemapcal.dat in the OziExplorer
        > file but, after restarting Ozi I do not have “Move map calibration” on the
        > map menu. What have I done wrong? I have Ozi v.3.95n and w7 32 bit on my
        > netbook.
        > Any help would be most appreciated.

        Just to verify a few points that are easily overlooked:

        You need to have the movemapcal.dat file in the same folder as
        OziExplorer (where the executable is).

        Make sure that's the ONLY copy of oziexplorer you have on your drive,
        I've seen multiple copies, and an unused copy was being modified with
        obviously no effect.
        Find out which folder your working copy of Ozi is, and remove the
        others (if you don't use them). Otherwise, place movemapcal.dat in the
        correct folder now that you've worked it out.

        Make sure you spelt movemapcal.dat correctly. Even the best of us get
        it wrong sometimes.

        After all that, it should appear near the bottom of the MAP menu.
        --
        My I.U.D. picks up Radio Windy.
      • Bert
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012
          It is not always there on all version by default. you may have to
          download a specific .dll file and place it in the Ozi directory.

          On 1/08/2012 7:54 AM, rkg44 wrote:

          > There should be a new item "Move Map Calibration" at the bottom of the
          > "Map" menu item.
          >
          > Select this, a box pops up and you can then adjust the calibration easily.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>, "Richard Edwards" <richard@...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          >

          > > Your solutions sounded easy so I tried it. I have added the file but
          > what
          > > next? Should a menu appear or a button? How do I use the "adjust
          > > calibration"?

        • John Tserkezis
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 2, 2012
            Bert wrote:

            > It is not always there on all version by default. you may have to
            > download a specific .dll file and place it in the Ozi directory.

            This is not a DLL issue, it is only a file that exists within the Ozi
            program folder.
            The fact that file now exists, means a new option appears within Ozi,
            there are several such files.
            --
            Whoever has the most when he dies... WINS!
          • Dave Patton
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2012

              http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/ozi/index.html#dat

              --
              Dave Patton
              Victoria, B.C.

              Degree Confluence Project:
              Canadian Coordinator
              Technical Coordinator
              http://www.confluence.org/

              Personal website:
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2012
                Thank you John, Bert and Dave for your responses.

                I do have two versions of Ozi. The standard version which I use and the
                development version which I have never got round to using. I placed the
                movemapcal.dat to the development version folder.

                Thank you once again and I am sorry I did not respond earlier but I am up in
                northernmost Sweden in my motorhome and the internet is hard to come by.
                Just out of interest, although you may not be, I am using Ozi on my laptop
                running off a cheap 300w inverter in moving map mode with a Garmin60CSx
                providing the GPS signals and which Joanna uses for navigation. I also have
                an Archos tablet with Android Ozi to show the geocaches and it is most
                disconcerting to find the map is not centred correctly although the datum is
                correct. It only occurs on some cheap maps I bought of Scandinavia. Where I
                have bought quality maps or Ordnance Survey, for example, it works
                perfectly. I have a sat nav as well. My blog is www.richardandjoanna.com

                Thanks.

                Richard

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 6, 2012
                  You're right, it is .dat file. Need a memory upgrade, not Ozi, me.

                  Movemapcal.dat

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 6, 2012
                    I have this problem constantly in China. Of some reason all map tiles
                    are off between a few hundred meters and several kilometres, so every
                    one I have to recalibrate. The Earth satellite tiles are OK. So I
                    download a map, then download a satellite image, find a reference point
                    on the satellite image, usually a road cross, then recalibrate the map
                    image.

                    In my case I added Movemapcal.dat in the Ozi directory, then I get
                    another entry under the Map menu called "Move map calibration". The rest
                    is self explanatory, you can inch the image back and forth until it make
                    sense.

                    Where are you actually. Just curious.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 11, 2012
                      Hi Bert,

                      Yes, movemapcal Works successfully thank you but the maps aren’t up to much
                      as whilst the map can be made to fit in one place it doesn’t fit elsewhere.
                      I have checked the data and the projection but they were only US$9 each so
                      you get what you pay for.. I do not have a digital map of Finland but we are
                      on the eastern border of Finland about a kilometre from the border with
                      Russia and heading towards the Baltic States and then gradually back home to
                      Spain where we both live.

                      Richard

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 14, 2012
                        Yes - many maps are not to standard scale. It works well with Google
                        maps for me.

                        The only other way I know is to find three, better four or more,
                        distinctive points on the map, then find the exact position of those
                        points using for instance Google Earth, or Google Maps, then go through
                        the calibration in Ozi (File-Load and calibrate image)

                        GE give you the position, but you can also use a browser as K-meleon (It
                        is not working with Firefox), right-click the position, and click center
                        here, then enter this script into the address bar of the browser, and it
                        will return the Lon-Lat position at the center of the image.

                        javascript:void(prompt('',gApplication.getMap().getCenter()));

                        Sometimes I found that maps have different scale in different parts, and
                        then it gets really messy.