KPH in Track Files

  • frank
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
      G'Day,

      I use a C&CPND (Cheap and Cheerful Personal Navigation Device) to run Ozi Explorer.

      When I open a tracklog file the KPH readings are all over the shop - when cruising on the freeway at a steady 100 kph (in cruise control) my tracklogfile shows readings of 100, 200 (!), 70 etc. It's literally all over the place.

      My Moving Map screen update setting is set to "1" and whilst mobile, everything looks OK.

      Can anyone point me in the direction of the problem?

      Thanks in advance,

      Franz
    • Julian Monfries
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
        Maybe update setting needs to be less frequent.

        Julian

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
          and my reply to it.

          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "frank" <desertman@...> wrote:

          > G'Day,
          >
          > I use a C&CPND (Cheap and Cheerful Personal Navigation Device) to run Ozi Explorer.
          >
          > When I open a tracklog file the KPH readings are all over the shop - when cruising on the freeway at a steady 100 kph (in cruise control) my tracklogfile shows readings of 100, 200 (!), 70 etc. It's literally all over the place.
          >
          > My Moving Map screen update setting is set to "1" and whilst mobile, everything looks OK.
          >
          > Can anyone point me in the direction of the problem?
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Franz

        • Reg
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
            Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:34 am (PDT) . Posted by: "frank" fgh_au

            > When I open a tracklog file the KPH readings are all over the shop - when
            > cruising on the freeway at a steady 100 kph (in cruise control) my
            > tracklogfile shows readings of 100, 200 (!), 70 etc. It's literally all over
            > the place.
            >
            > My Moving Map screen update setting is set to "1" and whilst mobile,
            > everything looks OK.

            One possibility is that the GPSr is not getting a direct view of the
            sky and receiving a lot of scatter signal.

            I've noticed, while using multiple GPSrs, that when entering a
            building, the old ones loose lock quickly and you get very little
            random plots and they are close in.

            Whilst the new ones, with increased sensitivity, hold lock a bit
            longer. But they receive more reflected signals (as they are more
            sensitive), which have very large errors when compared to the older
            GPSrs. So the plot is all over the place, frequently far away from
            the building.

            As the GPSr is not actually moving or in your case, it's apparently
            moving well away from your vehicle; it is therefore moving vary fast
            between a good plot and a bad one. However the average will be more
            accurate to actual speed.

            Your map scale is probably hiding the false plots, hence why I've
            described going into a building as the scale can then be zoomed in and
            still remain on screen.

            Reg
          • frank
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
              Thanks Julian - I've gone down to 1 after having used a much higher setting where the on screen results were bad (I was way past a side road before the screen refreshed - you could see the screen hang before refreshing)

              The lower setting gets the refresh rate up but the data logged in the Track File is still way off.

              Cheers,

              Franz

              --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@...> wrote:

              > Maybe update setting needs to be less frequent.
              >

              > Julian

            • frank
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
                Hi Reg,

                Yes, I thought of that as a possibility. I used to get rock solid readings in the old days with a Garmin GPS2+ with an external aerial mounted on to of the snorkel.

                The PND is mounted in the same spot as the Garmin and I recently connected up the external aerial hoping that this would resolve my issue - alas, it did not.

                Another though I just had was to run Ozi on the PND and my HTC HD2 at the same time and compare the 2 seperate Track Files - that should give me an idea of whether it's the PND GPS or something else.

                Cheers,

                Franz

                --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Reg <lists.reg@...> wrote:

                > Thu Jul 5, 2012 1:34 am (PDT) . Posted by: "frank" fgh_au
                >
                > > When I open a tracklog file the KPH readings are all over the shop - when
                > > cruising on the freeway at a steady 100 kph (in cruise control) my
                > > tracklogfile shows readings of 100, 200 (!), 70 etc. It's literally all over
                > > the place.
                > >
                > > My Moving Map screen update setting is set to "1" and whilst mobile,
                > > everything looks OK.
                >
                > One possibility is that the GPSr is not getting a direct view of the
                > sky and receiving a lot of scatter signal.
                >
                > I've noticed, while using multiple GPSrs, that when entering a
                > building, the old ones loose lock quickly and you get very little
                > random plots and they are close in.
                >
                > Whilst the new ones, with increased sensitivity, hold lock a bit
                > longer. But they receive more reflected signals (as they are more
                > sensitive), which have very large errors when compared to the older
                > GPSrs. So the plot is all over the place, frequently far away from
                > the building.
                >
                > As the GPSr is not actually moving or in your case, it's apparently
                > moving well away from your vehicle; it is therefore moving vary fast
                > between a good plot and a bad one. However the average will be more
                > accurate to actual speed.
                >
                > Your map scale is probably hiding the false plots, hence why I've
                > described going into a building as the scale can then be zoomed in and
                > still remain on screen.
                >
                > Reg

              • frank
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 5, 2012
                  Thanks Pietpuk.

                  I checked an old file from 2006 and the speeds look OK to me. There certainly aren't the fluctuations that I currently get.

                  Cheers,

                  Franz

                  --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "pietpuk182002" <amaryllis7@...> wrote:

                  > and my reply to it.
                  >

                  > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "frank" <desertman@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > G'Day,
                  > >
                  > > I use a C&CPND (Cheap and Cheerful Personal Navigation Device) to run Ozi Explorer.
                  > >
                  > > When I open a tracklog file the KPH readings are all over the shop - when cruising on the freeway at a steady 100 kph (in cruise control) my tracklogfile shows readings of 100, 200 (!), 70 etc. It's literally all over the place.
                  > >
                  > > My Moving Map screen update setting is set to "1" and whilst mobile, everything looks OK.
                  > >
                  > > Can anyone point me in the direction of the problem?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks in advance,
                  > >
                  > > Franz

                • Julian Monfries
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 6, 2012
                    I also have a C&CPND using OziCE and it works fine on my dashboard.

                    Perhaps the aerial thing is correct, as proposed on a previous post.

                    My Android Tablet using OziA works fine though at night speed it does take a
                    while to upgrade the track on screen.

                    Julian

                    --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com> ,