Re: [OziUsers-L] EU court ruling.

  • Bert
    Message 1 of 34 , May 27, 2012
      This court ruling has but all that on its head, it covers everything,
      not just spread sheet or data base formats, it covers anything in any
      format in any code in any programming language. IP does not beat
      everything any longer, the court just moved the goal post and changed
      the playing field. I can almost hear the IP Mafia gritting teeth. Just
      as you can buy a car and then modify as you like, the same applies to
      software. Of course you just cant copy and paste the code and use it in
      your own software you are selling.

      I suggest we should leave these judgement to the legal experts and
      courts. Incidentally, the ruling was requested by the British supreme
      court in London.

      On 27-May-2012 3:54 PM, barbudor wrote:

      > Hi Bert
      >
      > The process you are describing is clear when it concern word
      > processing or spread sheet or database file formats. No one can
      > prevent you to reverse engineering any private file format and
      > implement it into your own app.
      >
      > But when it comes to IP (intellectual property), IP beats everything.
      >
      > So you might have the right to reverse engineering a specific map
      > format which will allow you to make your own maps following this
      > format. But you need to distinguish the file format itself from the
      > data it contains. The data itself are licensed in a way that do not
      > allow you to use it differently than what was initially granted to
      > you.
      > So unless the map data itself is "free", you will not be authorized to
      > extract/convert it with your fully legal software.
      >
      > You have the right to own a gun.
      > But you are not allowed to shoot people down.
      > That's the meaning of the law.
      > This is always the difference between the tools and the usage.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > ~barbudor~
      >
      > 2012/5/27, Bert <kiwino1@... <mailto:kiwino1%40gmail.com>>:
      > > This may be of interest to the team.
      > >
      > > We often hear that you are not allowed to open up, decompile, a program
      > > or file, or use someone else's file format or re-engineer programs.
      > >
      > > A recent ruling in the EU supreme court has now invalidated such license
      > > conditions as they would de facto mean a monopoly according to the
      > court.
      > >
      > > The court now make it crystal clear that you have the right to open up
      > > a code or file, and study how it works, and write a new program with the
      > > same functions, even in the same programming language. That means you
      > > can also change the code for personal use, and you can write a new
      > > program that uses another company's file format.
      > >
      > > This has importance for us GPS users, if you buy maps that only work in
      > > one kind of GPS, but you want to use them in another, or you want to use
      > > a program as Androzic with the Ozi maps. It is still unclear if it is a
      > > violation of law to try to prevent you from doing that by for instance
      > > using anti debugger code.
      > >
      > > Interesting world.
      > >

      > > ~-|**|PrettyHtmlEnd|**|-~ end group email -->

      > --
      > Envoyé avec mon mobile

    • barbudor
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 12, 2012
        Yes
        Also converting true color images to 256 colors with an external app
        which has a good floyd-steinberg algo is better in terms of quality,
        but in time.
        I often use IrfanView for that purpose

        ~barbudor~

        Envoyé avec mon mobile