Pairing MAP and PNG

  • vladuna
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
      I think I am an advanced user but still I found quite a basic problem
      that I am not able to solve:
      Please, need help with pairing MAP and PNG files. Sample file path for
      a PNG file
      K-37-007-A-b.png
      in MAP file is
      ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png
      What directory shall I put the PNG file?
      Slash shows some net directory [?]. Even if I had to install the local
      webserver on my computer, it still worth the effort. I especially do
      not understand this: ../../../../
      Changing the MAP file after manualy the target PNG file found is not a
      propper solution becase I have several hundreds of these maps. [smtm =
      Soviet Military Topo Maps].
      Your help is really appreciated.
      Msg: Printscreen
      <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MMBlT6A6m3wZbGBP-DUFPwXF48xQlDKrqvDjc67dQ0\
      u2Ox08xHmiwPj4i_TspafgOP3w6n6orKGULHKCct6HeBI6DSAml1-0lG7LKIEW/%2A%2ATEM\
      P%2A%2A/Pairing-MAP-PNG.jpg>

    • Reg
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
        Posted by: "vladuna" skaredybubulinek@...   vladuna

        > Please, need help with pairing MAP and PNG files. Sample file path for
        > a PNG file
        > K-37-007-A-b.png
        > in MAP file is
        > ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png
        > What directory shall I put the PNG file?
        > Slash shows some net directory [?]. Even if I had to install the local
        > webserver on my computer, it still worth the effort. I especially do
        > not understand this: ../../../../

        The (DOS) convention for /.. is to refer to the directory/folder above
        the current.

        But you mention a server, so maybe to do with that. At times used to
        imply a folder, when the path is very long and would not display
        within the space available.

        To achieve your requirement, just put the image files in the folder
        you want them and the map files into the folder you want them.

        Then in OziEx select the menu, 'File ¦ Change Image File Name, Path & Drive'.

        That will allow you to do a whole folder at a time.

        Reg
      • Dave Patton
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
          On 2012/03/18 4:27 AM, vladuna wrote:
          > I think I am an advanced user but still I found quite a basic problem
          > that I am not able to solve:
          > Please, need help with pairing MAP and PNG files. Sample file path for
          > a PNG file
          > K-37-007-A-b.png
          > in MAP file is
          > ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png
          > What directory shall I put the PNG file?
          > Slash shows some net directory [?]. Even if I had to install the local
          > webserver on my computer, it still worth the effort. I especially do
          > not understand this: ../../../../
          > Changing the MAP file after manualy the target PNG file found is not a
          > propper solution becase I have several hundreds of these maps. [smtm =
          > Soviet Military Topo Maps].
          > Your help is really appreciated.
          > Msg: Printscreen
          > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MMBlT6A6m3wZbGBP-DUFPwXF48xQlDKrqvDjc67dQ0\
          > u2Ox08xHmiwPj4i_TspafgOP3w6n6orKGULHKCct6HeBI6DSAml1-0lG7LKIEW/%2A%2ATEM\
          > P%2A%2A/Pairing-MAP-PNG.jpg>

          The simplest thing to do is to put your map images
          (the PNG files) in the same folder as the .map files.
          When OziExplorer opens a .map file, if there is a
          map image file that matches the name specified in
          the .map file in the same folder as the .map file,
          then that map image is used, regardless of the
          map image file path in the .map file.

          If you want to do this, but you also want to fix
          the map image paths in the .map files, then use
          "Change Image File Name, Path & Drive" on Ozi's
          File menu.

          Of course you can also use "Change Image File Name,
          Path & Drive" to set the correct paths in the .map
          files if you want to have the .map files and the
          PNG files in different folders.

          As for the paths in your current .map files:
          A)
          To see your screen capture people will have to go
          to this group's Files area, into the **TEMP** folder,
          and look at Pairing-MAP-PNG.jpg (because the link
          you provided may not work for other people).
          B)
          The ".." in your path refers to the "parent directory/folder".
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_%28computing%29
          You can easily see this for yourself:
          - open a DOS command prompt
          - change to a directory/folder that has a parent, e.g.:
          cd C:\Windows\System32
          - use the cd (change directory) command and "..":
          cd ..
          - you will see that you have moved up to the parent
          directory "C:\Windows"
          And and single dot(.) refers to the current directory.
          While in a DOS command prompt, in a directory with
          not a lot of files, type "dir"(without the quotes)
          and you will see the list of files/directories starts
          with two directories identified as "." and "..",
          referring to the current directory and it's parent.

          --
          Dave Patton
          Victoria, B.C.

          Degree Confluence Project:
          Canadian Coordinator
          Technical Coordinator
          http://www.confluence.org/

          Personal website:
          http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
        • pixseal
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
            You can put the MAP file wherever you want. Change the line in the MAP file to point to the current PNG location by:
            1) use a text editor to change the PNG location in the MAP file
            2) use the built-in Ozi function ... File menu > Change Image File Name, Path & Drive

            -Dave
            http://pixseal.com

            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "vladuna" <skaredybubulinek@...> wrote:

            > I think I am an advanced user but still I found quite a basic problem
            > that I am not able to solve:
            > Please, need help with pairing MAP and PNG files. Sample file path for
            > a PNG file
            > K-37-007-A-b.png
            > in MAP file is
            > ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png
            > What directory shall I put the PNG file?
            > Slash shows some net directory [?]. Even if I had to install the local
            > webserver on my computer, it still worth the effort. I especially do
            > not understand this: ../../../../
            > Changing the MAP file after manualy the target PNG file found is not a
            > propper solution becase I have several hundreds of these maps. [smtm =
            > Soviet Military Topo Maps].
            > Your help is really appreciated.
            > Msg: Printscreen
            > <http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/MMBlT6A6m3wZbGBP-DUFPwXF48xQlDKrqvDjc67dQ0\
            > u2Ox08xHmiwPj4i_TspafgOP3w6n6orKGULHKCct6HeBI6DSAml1-0lG7LKIEW/%2A%2ATEM\
            > P%2A%2A/Pairing-MAP-PNG.jpg>
          • vladuna
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
              Many thanx to Reg [green_rover2002], Dave Patton [canadadcp] and [pixseal] for the answers. Yes, I did not know multi-change of directory function. That's great but still it doesnot work properly ...

              After I apllied the change all the files MAP were changes. However, the valid directory:
              E:\SMTM\25000\K-37_maps\
              was added infront of the former value:
              ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png
              so result is like this:
              E:\SMTM\25000\K-37_maps\../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png

              To Dave Patton:
              1] putting the pair in the same directory doesnot work
              2] thank you for the link to wiki, pls. note the difference between / and \ in DOS+Win contra Unixes
              3] Grat photography!

              To Dave [pixseals]
              Great photography too!

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
                On 2012/03/18 1:21 PM, vladuna wrote:

                > After I apllied the change all the files MAP were changes. However, the valid directory:
                > E:\SMTM\25000\K-37_maps\
                > was added infront of the former value:
                > ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png
                > so result is like this:
                > E:\SMTM\25000\K-37_maps\../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-007-A-b.png

                Maybe try using the "Remove path" option in Map2PPC?
                You can find a link to Map2PPC on the Ozi Utilities page:
                http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/ozi/utilities.html

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 18, 2012
                  1] The recommanded utility map2ppc did not work.
                  Problem seems to be in syntax ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/K-37-008-D-b.png - dot dot slash.
                  With files using reverse slash "\" it works o.k., deleting the path and leaving the file name.
                  Then - no matter what file path is in the MAP file, when MAP and PNG file in the same directory, map is opened.

                  2] I tried several hexasecimal editor, successfully but one file at a time. But I found Search and Replace on http://www.funduc.com
                  All the files in a directory at a time. This editor found on the 3rd line of a map file ../../../../maps/25000/K-37/ and replaced it with just E:\ Thus corrected map file can be handled by OZI easily.

                  Thank you everybody for your help!