Re: Android tablet for running OziExplorer

  • Laurie
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
      Julian

      We are using an Asus Transformer TF 101. It does not have a GPS, so we run our bluetooth GPS, which works fine. The plus of a blue tooth GPS is that we can leave it on the dash while we use the TF101 either on a RAM mount on the Windscreen or sitting it on our lap in the back seat.

      Down side of the TF101 is that it cant be powered by the USB plug as the unit requires 15 volts input. The USB can only input 5 volts.

      The store where we bought it told us it could be powered, but we have proven to them that it cant. So we power it from a decent invertor. We tried a 100 watt invertor, and found that although it powered the unit, the touch screen would not work, so we are using a 160 watt invertor.

      We love the 10 inch screen, and Ozi Android runs extremely well on it.

      Laurie

      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@...> wrote:

      > That’s very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.
      >
      > Must look into it and will report back
      >

      > Julian

    • Peter Schultz
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
        What sort of Bluetooth GPS are you using? Did you have to load the Bluetooth gps software as suggested by Des?

        Peter Schultz
        CEO Hunter Imaging Group
        Sent from my iPhone

        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@...> wrote:

        > That’s very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.
        >
        > Must look into it and will report back
        >

        > Julian

      • Julian Monfries
        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012
          Hi,

          I already had “Bluetooth GPS” app loaded and didn’t realise it DOES work with a Ozi.

          It isn’t obvious however as the GPS screens on Ozi suggest that the GPS isn’t able to lock on. I guess it’s just that the internal GPS isn’t locking on as its job has been usurped.

          Must now try it in the field-bushwalking

          Julian

          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com> <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@...> wrote:

          > That’s very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.
          >
          > Must look into it and will report back
          >

          > Julian

        • kgari59
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 1, 2012

            > > Does it support a external GPS antenna ?
            > >

            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Rob

            I run Ozi Android on a Iconia A100 7 inch screen. In the car the GPS works fine if you give it the time to lock on. Like all consumer items they are built to a price point and tablets are no different. Most run AGPS which is not as good as a dedicated unit. I have also used a BT Quartz brand GPS working through GPS Provider (free on the market), and Ozi uses the signal without an issue except for not showing the number of satellites in view. Works well with no problems.

            Start BT GPS, start GPS Provider and connect (already paired), start ozi.

            Regds

            John
          • Laurie
            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
              Peter

              We use either a Globalsat Bluetooth GPS or a A+ Bluetooth GPS.

              We usually use the A+ which works fine.

              Yes, we loaded the Bluetooth GPS software suggested by Des.

              It took us a while to understand how it all worked, but with some input from Des, we finally worked it out.

              Laurie

              --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Peter Schultz <peter.schultz@...> wrote:

              > What sort of Bluetooth GPS are you using? Did you have to load the Bluetooth gps software as suggested by Des?
              >
              > Peter Schultz
              > CEO Hunter Imaging Group
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On 01/02/2012, at 8:05 PM, "Laurie" <laurencemiles@...<mailto:laurencemiles@...>> wrote:
              >

              > Julian
              >
              > We are using an Asus Transformer TF 101. It does not have a GPS, so we run our bluetooth GPS, which works fine. The plus of a blue tooth GPS is that we can leave it on the dash while we use the TF101 either on a RAM mount on the Windscreen or sitting it on our lap in the back seat.
              >
              > Down side of the TF101 is that it cant be powered by the USB plug as the unit requires 15 volts input. The USB can only input 5 volts.
              >
              > The store where we bought it told us it could be powered, but we have proven to them that it cant. So we power it from a decent invertor. We tried a 100 watt invertor, and found that although it powered the unit, the touch screen would not work, so we are using a 160 watt invertor.
              >
              > We love the 10 inch screen, and Ozi Android runs extremely well on it.
              >
              > Laurie
              >

              > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@> wrote:
              > >
              > > That’s very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.
              > >
              > > Must look into it and will report back
              > >

              > > Julian

            • barbudor
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                Hi Laurie

                Could you please clarify "the software suggested by Des" ?

                Can't find back in the list what you are talking about.

                Thanks

                ~barbudor~

                --
                Envoyé avec mon mobile
              • Laurie
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                  Des advised that we needed to download a free app called Bluetooth GPS. Our android also needed an app called Mock Provider to switch on the bluetooth connection.

                  Laurie

                  --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, barbudor <barbudor@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Laurie
                  >
                  > Could you please clarify "the software suggested by Des" ?
                  >
                  > Can't find back in the list what you are talking about.
                  >
                  > Thanks
                  >
                  > ~barbudor~
                  >

                  > 2012/2/2, Laurie <laurencemiles@...>:
                  > > Peter
                  > >
                  > > We use either a Globalsat Bluetooth GPS or a A+ Bluetooth GPS.
                  > >
                  > > We usually use the A+ which works fine.
                  > >
                  > > Yes, we loaded the Bluetooth GPS software suggested by Des.
                  > >
                  > > It took us a while to understand how it all worked, but with some input from
                  > > Des, we finally worked it out.
                  > >
                  > > Laurie
                  > >
                  > > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Peter Schultz <peter.schultz@> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> What sort of Bluetooth GPS are you using? Did you have to load the
                  > >> Bluetooth gps software as suggested by Des?
                  > >>
                  > >> Peter Schultz
                  > >> CEO Hunter Imaging Group
                  > >> Sent from my iPhone
                  > >>
                  > >> On 01/02/2012, at 8:05 PM, "Laurie"
                  > >> <laurencemiles@<mailto:laurencemiles@>> wrote:
                  > >>

                  > >> Julian
                  > >>
                  > >> We are using an Asus Transformer TF 101. It does not have a GPS, so we run
                  > >> our bluetooth GPS, which works fine. The plus of a blue tooth GPS is that
                  > >> we can leave it on the dash while we use the TF101 either on a RAM mount
                  > >> on the Windscreen or sitting it on our lap in the back seat.
                  > >>
                  > >> Down side of the TF101 is that it cant be powered by the USB plug as the
                  > >> unit requires 15 volts input. The USB can only input 5 volts.
                  > >>
                  > >> The store where we bought it told us it could be powered, but we have
                  > >> proven to them that it cant. So we power it from a decent invertor. We
                  > >> tried a 100 watt invertor, and found that although it powered the unit,
                  > >> the touch screen would not work, so we are using a 160 watt invertor.
                  > >>
                  > >> We love the 10 inch screen, and Ozi Android runs extremely well on it.
                  > >>
                  > >> Laurie
                  > >>

                  > >> --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>,

                  > --
                  > Envoyé avec mon mobile

                • barbudor
                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 2, 2012
                    Ok

                    --
                    Envoyé avec mon mobile
                  • Peter Mullins
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 4, 2012
                      Hi Laurie,
                      I also am using the Asus Transformer TF101 and can say that it DOES have a gps.

                      Best Wishes

                      We are using an Asus Transformer TF 101. It does not have a GPS, so we run our bluetooth GPS, which works fine. The plus of a blue tooth GPS is that we can leave it on the dash while we use the TF101 either on a RAM mount on the Windscreen or sitting it on our lap in the back seat.

                      Down side of the TF101 is that it cant be powered by the USB plug as the unit requires 15 volts input. The USB can only input 5 volts.

                      The store where we bought it told us it could be powered, but we have proven to them that it cant. So we power it from a decent invertor. We tried a 100 watt invertor, and found that although it powered the unit, the touch screen would not work, so we are using a 160 watt invertor.

                      We love the 10 inch screen, and Ozi Android runs extremely well on it.

                      Laurie

                      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@...> wrote:

                      > Thatâ?Ts very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.
                      >
                      > Must look into it and will report back
                      >

                      > Julian

                    • frank
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 5, 2012
                        Laurie,

                        Up until recently, running a laptop off 12 volt supply has been both expensive and cumbersome until I managed to find a new adapter. Still not cheap at $90 it comes with a lot of different tips and runs my laptop well. Also, it's not as cumbersome as the HP 12 volt auto/air adaptor.

                        Perhaps you could use it for the Asus - I purchased the adapter at JB Hi Fi in Nunawading - can't remember the brand - will dig it up if you are interested.

                        Cheers,

                        Franz

                        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie" <laurencemiles@...> wrote:

                        > Julian
                        >
                        > We are using an Asus Transformer TF 101. It does not have a GPS, so we run our bluetooth GPS, which works fine. The plus of a blue tooth GPS is that we can leave it on the dash while we use the TF101 either on a RAM mount on the Windscreen or sitting it on our lap in the back seat.
                        >
                        > Down side of the TF101 is that it cant be powered by the USB plug as the unit requires 15 volts input. The USB can only input 5 volts.
                        >
                        > The store where we bought it told us it could be powered, but we have proven to them that it cant. So we power it from a decent invertor. We tried a 100 watt invertor, and found that although it powered the unit, the touch screen would not work, so we are using a 160 watt invertor.
                        >
                        > We love the 10 inch screen, and Ozi Android runs extremely well on it.
                        >
                        > Laurie
                        >

                        > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > That’s very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.
                        > >
                        > > Must look into it and will report back
                        > >

                        > > Julian

                      • Richard Edwards
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 5, 2012
                          Hi,

                          I have just bought an Archos 80 G9 after ditching an el cheapo Chinese
                          tablet that was absolutely useless. I can only get Freecell and music to run
                          on it!

                          I have a motorhome and am building a set of maps for our European tour this
                          summer so a 32gb microdisc is essential as is the built in GPS.

                          So far I have only taken it on short trips in the car but it appears to work
                          well but is not great in bright sunlight of which we have plenty. I live in
                          Spain.

                          In the camper we have the Archos (previously the el cheapo one-until it
                          died) on which I can run both Ozi and Co-Pilot live for navigation and a
                          smaller one with Windows CE in front of the passenger seat which runs Ozi
                          and the reversing camera. (Thanks to the member who told me how to get that
                          working). My partner Joanna is a map reader and already had dozens of maps
                          before I met her. The Wince device shows her where we are in an instant but
                          she still likes to use her maps but it isn’t a problem as we have acres of
                          space in the cab.

                          Thank you to all the members of this group for the useful information about
                          Ozi and the hardware which we all need.

                          Richard Edwards

                          I also am using the Asus Transformer TF101 and can say that it DOES have a
                          gps.

                          Best Wishes

                          We are using an Asus Transformer TF 101. It does not have a GPS, so we run
                          our bluetooth GPS, which works fine. The plus of a blue tooth GPS is that we
                          can leave it on the dash while we use the TF101 either on a RAM mount on the
                          Windscreen or sitting it on our lap in the back seat.

                          Down side of the TF101 is that it cant be powered by the USB plug as the
                          unit requires 15 volts input. The USB can only input 5 volts.

                          The store where we bought it told us it could be powered, but we have proven
                          to them that it cant. So we power it from a decent invertor. We tried a 100
                          watt invertor, and found that although it powered the unit, the touch screen
                          would not work, so we are using a 160 watt invertor.

                          We love the 10 inch screen, and Ozi Android runs extremely well on it.

                          Laurie

                          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                          "Julian Monfries" <julsue@...> wrote:

                          > Thatâ?Ts very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the
                          least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.

                          > Must look into it and will report back
                          >

                          > Julian

                        • Outback Australia Inc.
                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 5, 2012
                            This HTC looks great:
                            http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/pc/HTC-Flyer-P510e-UNLOCKED-32GB-3G-and-WiFi-7-inch-Android-Tablet-With-Pen-p95833.htm

                            Specs here:
                            http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=3829&idPhone2=3953
                            Only downside is A-GPS which I hear is not that terrific. Don’t know if it is the same as in the HTC phone. I have an HTC Desire and GPS works well. Must check to see what the phone has in the way of a GPS.

                            Cheers,
                            David.

                          • Peter Schultz

                              "Julian Monfries" <julsue@...<mailto:julsue@...>> wrote:

                              > Thatâ?Ts very interesting and could solve a number of problems, not the
                              least for me of being able to seal the tablet from the elements.

                              > Must look into it and will report back
                              >

                              > Julian

                            • Laurie
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 5, 2012
                                Just rechecked the manual. There is no mention of a GPS. The overview mentions a GPS sensor, but there is nothing documented in the manual about a GPS.

                                Are you using yours with a GPS?

                                Laurie