Re: [OziUsers-L] Garmin Nuvi 2360LT with OziExplorer

  • Outback Australia
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 5, 2011
      Borrowed a Garmin Nuvu 1490 to me to see how it goes with OziExplorer. Works perfectly uploading Waypoints and Routes and importantly downloading the Track files of where you have been. Holds 10,000 track points which depending on terrain will give you three to six days vehicle travelling before you have to download. The Nuvi only compresses the Track file if you save the Track file on the Nuvi. If you download the Track file appears to be the same as ‘Auto’ mode on the Outdoor models which gives you a good Track file.
      Uploading Routes is not quite as straight forward as the Outdoor units, but not difficult. Once you have uploaded the Route file to the Nuvi you have to go to a menu to import the Route. On Waypoints prior to uploading you need to change ‘Garmin Display Format’ > ‘Name with Symbol’ so the name is displayed on the GPS. No traps and as far as I can see works well.

      Will probably buy the Garmin Nuvi 2360LT. Can’t see spending any more money gives you an greater features for regional and country travel. For under $AU250.00 with Lifetime Map Update works out not to badly. Pity couldn’t buy an eTrek 30 with that deal.

      Regards,
      David.

    • Outback Australia
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2011
        Well the Garmin 1490T works well with OziExplorer, but the Garmin Nuvi 2360LT is a failure. Waypoints can be uploaded OK, but not Routes. The menu interface of the Garmin 2360LT is terrible compared to the Nuvi 1490T. While the appearance of the menu system on the 1490T and 2360LT look basically identical, once you click on the icons and get into the operation the interface is awkward and clumsy in the extreme – is a dog. Believe the 1490T is an old model, but will chase around to see if I can find one.

        Reading the specs of the Rino 650 I would say it operates like the Nuvi 2360LT. On the Rino you can probably upload and download Waypoints, but not Routes.

        Regards,
        David.