Re: [OziUsers-L] Re: GPX export Track colour merge

  • Teppo Rapo
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
      Terve! Yes of course I have tried that but not in this case, it's not
      any help for a colour problem that we are having, sections are always
      the same colour in individual track, but tracks can be different color,
      everything is fine until I export multibe tracks to GPX.. I think this
      might be an Ozin problem while it's converting tracks into GPX. Could
      this be something to as from a Des Newman?

      I would really like to see this working. Nice to have everything on one
      widely reconized file, I does not hurt that file is fully compatible
      with Garmin units, that's why I prefer GPX. Well, it is Garmins file.
      -teppo

      OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC;
      Then few lines very much off-topic, sorry about this already:
      Hello Laurie! It's sunny, they say that it been warmest summer for a
      more than 20 years. Yes, we had an exellent trip and we are plannig
      second one already. Russia can be considered as some kind of the
      paradise what comes to nature travelling and Off-Road sports of all
      kinds. Just spent a week here in Finland with Off-roading, thats nice as
      well but nothing compared.. Only issue in russia is that you need always
      a week or more... Ozi running on PC, CE device and on my HTC as Android
      version. :)

      Few pic's from russian trip for you all interested
      http://tinyurl.com/3pepbxn

      PSS:Been following your trips via Bcon.

      1.8.2011 9:13, Rahkonen Jukka kirjoitti:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Have you tried to use the option Split Track Into Sections on the Track control tab, under More options?
      >
      > -Jukka Rahkonen-
      >

      > Laurie wrote:
      >
      >> Hei Teppo
      >
      >> Good to hear from you from sunny Finland! Glad to hear you had a great trip to Russia.
      >
      >> I have the same issue with GPX files. It does everything I want except it doesn't store the individual track colours. I don't know why is doesn't.
      >
      >> Laurie
      >
      > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>, Teppo Rapo<teppo.rapo@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> Hello! As I recently found the GPX as a nice way to save waypoints and
      >>> tracks in one file. I found one downside, For example, now I have 8 day
      >>> off-road trip at Russia, then I have tracks, different colour for each
      >>> day and waypoint marking the camping ground for each night stop, Now
      >>> when I export all 8 tracks and 7 waypoints into GPX file, all the track
      >>> appears blue after reload = default track colour. Is this something that
      >>> GPX can't handle or is it conversion problem? My Garmin GPSMAP60CSx does
      >>> have several track colours, should the GPX file as well?
      >>> -teppo

    • Laurie
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
        Jukka

        That would only work if you had the multiple tracks in the gpx files as one track file.

        When I load a GPX file with say 6 tracks, it loads them all into their own track file, so I cant then run the split function.

        The option I can see is to rejoin all the tracks into 1 track with section breaks, then run the split track function. However, another issue is that it sets up my track with a width of 2, whereas I prefer wider tracks, so I would have to manually change the all.

        Laurie

        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Rahkonen Jukka <jukka.rahkonen@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Have you tried to use the option Split Track Into Sections on the Track control tab, under More options?
        >
        > -Jukka Rahkonen-
        >

        > Laurie wrote:
        >
        > > Hei Teppo
        >
        > > Good to hear from you from sunny Finland! Glad to hear you had a great trip to Russia.
        >
        > > I have the same issue with GPX files. It does everything I want except it doesn't store the individual track colours. I don't know why is doesn't.
        >
        > > Laurie
        >
        > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com<mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>, Teppo Rapo <teppo.rapo@> wrote:
        > >
        > >> Hello! As I recently found the GPX as a nice way to save waypoints and
        > >> tracks in one file. I found one downside, For example, now I have 8 day
        > >> off-road trip at Russia, then I have tracks, different colour for each
        > >> day and waypoint marking the camping ground for each night stop, Now
        > >> when I export all 8 tracks and 7 waypoints into GPX file, all the track
        > >> appears blue after reload = default track colour. Is this something that
        > >> GPX can't handle or is it conversion problem? My Garmin GPSMAP60CSx does
        > >> have several track colours, should the GPX file as well?
        > >> -teppo

      • explorerozi
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2011
          Hello

          I read on another forum that it is a shortcoming of the GPX file format. It doesnt record track colour (among other things) which is why many gps software products come up with their own format instead of just using gpx.

          Cheers
          Greg

          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Teppo Rapo <teppo.rapo@...> wrote:

          > Terve! Yes of course I have tried that but not in this case, it's not
          > any help for a colour problem that we are having, sections are always
          > the same colour in individual track, but tracks can be different color,
          > everything is fine until I export multibe tracks to GPX.. I think this
          > might be an Ozin problem while it's converting tracks into GPX. Could
          > this be something to as from a Des Newman?
          >
          > I would really like to see this working. Nice to have everything on one
          > widely reconized file, I does not hurt that file is fully compatible
          > with Garmin units, that's why I prefer GPX. Well, it is Garmins file.
          > -teppo
          >
          > OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC; OFF TOPIC;
          > Then few lines very much off-topic, sorry about this already:
          > Hello Laurie! It's sunny, they say that it been warmest summer for a
          > more than 20 years. Yes, we had an exellent trip and we are plannig
          > second one already. Russia can be considered as some kind of the
          > paradise what comes to nature travelling and Off-Road sports of all
          > kinds. Just spent a week here in Finland with Off-roading, thats nice as
          > well but nothing compared.. Only issue in russia is that you need always
          > a week or more... Ozi running on PC, CE device and on my HTC as Android
          > version. :)
          >
          > Few pic's from russian trip for you all interested
          > http://tinyurl.com/3pepbxn
          >
          > PSS:Been following your trips via Bcon.
          >

          > 1.8.2011 9:13, Rahkonen Jukka kirjoitti:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > Have you tried to use the option Split Track Into Sections on the Track control tab, under More options?
          > >
          > > -Jukka Rahkonen-
          > >

          > > Laurie wrote:
          > >
          > >> Hei Teppo
          > >
          > >> Good to hear from you from sunny Finland! Glad to hear you had a great trip to Russia.
          > >
          > >> I have the same issue with GPX files. It does everything I want except it doesn't store the individual track colours. I don't know why is doesn't.
          > >
          > >> Laurie

        • Laurie
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2011
            Hei Teppo

            I think you are right that it is an Ozi issue.

            I just loaded a gpx file with multiple tracks into Map Source & then saved each track with a different colour.

            When I load the file into Ozi, it loads all the tracks with the same default colour.

            But if I reload the my gpx file back into Map Source, it shows the tracks with the different colours for each track that I selected.

            Thanks for the link to your pics. I enjoyed looking through them. Gee, you took a lot of pics. Glad you enjoyed following us on Bcon when we were in the Kimberley.

            Laurie

          • explorerozi
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2011
              Hi
              Looks like I was given a b*m steer. Further research does indeed show that colour and other attributes can be stored in GPX files by some mapping programs (and units?) but it requires a purpose built "schema" that is recognised by the specific mapping program. OziExplorer obvioulsy doesnt read the Garmin schema (or any other one) nor does it have its own and therefore information above standard stuff is not read (if it exists) or saved.

              Cheers
              Greg

              --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie" <laurencemiles@...> wrote:

              > Hei Teppo
              >
              > I think you are right that it is an Ozi issue.
              >
              > I just loaded a gpx file with multiple tracks into Map Source & then saved each track with a different colour.
              >
              > When I load the file into Ozi, it loads all the tracks with the same default colour.
              >
              > But if I reload the my gpx file back into Map Source, it shows the tracks with the different colours for each track that I selected.
              >
              > Thanks for the link to your pics. I enjoyed looking through them. Gee, you took a lot of pics. Glad you enjoyed following us on Bcon when we were in the Kimberley.
              >
              > Laurie

            • Reg
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 4, 2011
                > Posted by: "explorerozi" the_explorer@...   explorerozi

                > Looks like I was given a b*m steer. Further research does indeed show that colour and other attributes can be stored in GPX files by some mapping programs (and units?) but it requires a purpose built "schema" that is recognised by the specific mapping program. OziExplorer obvioulsy doesnt read the Garmin schema (or any other one) nor does it have its own and therefore information above standard stuff is not read (if it exists) or saved.

                It is a well know fallacy, that .gpx files conform to a standard.
                Much like the very old .csv files.

                Both can contain _any_ field that the originator wants to include.

                The only difference is in file size.

                The delimiters in .gpx are massive and they also have a massive intro.

                .gpx

                <Track Colour>128</Track Colour>

                .csv

                128,

                Intro for .gpx

                <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><gpx
                xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"
                xmlns:gpxx="http://www.garmin.com/xmlschemas/GpxExtensions/v3"
                xmlns:rcxx="http://www.routeconverter.de/xmlschemas/RouteCatalogExtensions/1.0"
                xmlns:nmea="http://maps.adac.de" version="1.1" creator="Generated by

                Intro for .csv is nothing or a single line giving the title of each field:-

                long, lat, name.........

                Also in a .gpx file every record has it's delimiters and each group of
                fields is also wrapped in delimiters.

                Palmtop (now Tomtom) had a very good file format - .ovr - it was very
                efficient in file size and fast to read. But they degraded it to
                .ov2.

                Reg
              • barbudor
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 7, 2011
                  Hi Reg

                  I am also interrested in the AIS input of Ozi because it is the only method
                  to track multiple target simultaneously (kinka "buddy tracking").
                  My plans are slighly different as I would like to track multiple GPS/GPRS
                  trackers in the style of the well know TK-102. I want to write a "gateway
                  server" which would receive data frames from multiple TK-102 and offer an
                  AIS port to Ozi.

                  In your case, you are looking for an APRS to AIS gateway.
                  I don't know of any of such software and I doubt that this is available.
                  Most web page concerning APRS and AIS bridging are focused on the other way
                  : using AIS receiver and converting AIS packets to Internet-mode-APRS.

                  I know that there are APRS software that would even use the soundcard input
                  of a PC to decode "audio"-APRS packets and convert them to
                  Internet-mode-APRS. BUt I don't know about any software that would convert
                  them to AIS.

                  Cheers

                  Barbudor

                  2011/7/31 Reg <lists.reg@...>

                  > **
                  >

                  > I am interested in APRS mapping on a Windows XP laptop.
                  >
                  > I used Ui-View in it's early days, but it's mapping features are now
                  > poor when compared with OziEx.
                  >
                  > I have APRSPoint, that interfaces with MapPoint on a desktop. But I
                  > don't want to screw-up my laptop's performance by installing MapPoint
                  > on it.
                  >
                  > I understand that APRS-IS is a recommended program, but I also
                  > understand that it's equivalent .map file is just two corners. So the
                  > maps have to align with north and I guess wont be as accurate as using
                  > my large collection of OziEx maps.
                  >
                  > My late father-in-law was a keen user of AIS (not OziEx), and used his
                  > system, which I now have, but don't use as I don't live on the coast!
                  >
                  > I've looked in the development version of OziEx. I can only find in
                  > the help file reference to the 'AIS Configuration' panel, but can't
                  > find the menu option to use it.
                  >
                  > As AIS data can be included in APRS packets; is it possible to use
                  > OziEx's AIS with APRS?
                  >
                  > Reg

                • Reg
                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 8, 2011
                    Posted by: "barbudor" barbudor@...   jean_michel_mercier

                    > I know that there are APRS software that would even use the soundcard input
                    > of a PC to decode "audio"-APRS packets and convert them to
                    > Internet-mode-APRS. BUt I don't know about any software that would convert
                    > them to AIS.

                    Thanks Barbudor for your reply.

                    Reg