Re: [OziUsers-L] NATMAP 1:100K series in OZF format

  • Outback Aus
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
      Greg you are been rather generous in your comments about the quality of the 1:100K.
      Whoever released such poor quality should get their head chopped off � simple.

      Regards,
      David.

    • John Tserkezis
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
        Outback Aus wrote:

        > Greg you are been rather generous in your comments about the quality of the 1:100K.
        > Whoever released such poor quality should get their head chopped off – simple.

        I've seen worse.

        The NSW LPI released a 6-CD set of 25K maps of New South Wales.

        They appeared monochrome-ish and any coloured bits looked like a cheap
        watercolour painting.

        A handful of the maps were warped and not able to be calibrated.

        Some maps were missing.

        Although the maps were in MrSID format, OziExplorer could not read some
        of them. Exporting the maps into another format and recalibrating would
        "fix" those problem maps.

        All maps were between 10 and 30 years out of date, and that was about a
        decade ago when it was released.

        From memory, if you were to purchase all 6 CDs, you'd part with more
        than AU$1000.

        Thankfully, they are no longer available.
        --
        I find myself beside a stream of empty thought
      • Allan Ward
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2011
          HaHa,
          I'm trying to laugh, as I was one who parted with several hundred
          dollars to get a couple of these disks. They were bad! The worst were
          the attempt at a hybrid aerial photo/map combination. Looked like trying
          to read the map in a dust storm. I remember showing a plot of a road
          marked on a property near Oaklands, north of Corowa, to the cockie whose
          family had owned the place for 3 generations. He was most amused as he
          had heard if it mentioned by his grandfather but had not seen it
          himself. He had been there since he was born some 40 years prior. Oh
          dear, I can see the disks on the bookshelf from where I am typing this.
          Thanks John you have re-salted an old wound!

          Cheers

          Allan

          Oh, and that reminds me, good to hear from you Outback Aus. Weren't you
          crook there a while back? Are you still climbing down old mines?

          Sorry. Off topic, I know. But then again, Outback has been on this group
          for a long time...

          Allan

          On 1/03/2011 8:58 PM, John Tserkezis wrote:
          > Outback Aus wrote:
          >
          >> Greg you are been rather generous in your comments about the quality of the 1:100K.
          >> Whoever released such poor quality should get their head chopped off – simple.
          > I've seen worse.
          >
          > The NSW LPI released a 6-CD set of 25K maps of New South Wales.
          >
          > They appeared monochrome-ish and any coloured bits looked like a cheap
          > watercolour painting.
          >
          > A handful of the maps were warped and not able to be calibrated.
          >
          > Some maps were missing.
          >
          > Although the maps were in MrSID format, OziExplorer could not read some
          > of them. Exporting the maps into another format and recalibrating would
          > "fix" those problem maps.
          >
          > All maps were between 10 and 30 years out of date, and that was about a
          > decade ago when it was released.
          >
          > From memory, if you were to purchase all 6 CDs, you'd part with more
          > than AU$1000.
          >
          > Thankfully, they are no longer available.
        • Brian - GPSOZ
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
            True but only on processor types..

            regards

            Brian

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2011
              ..oh thats right always forget about that issue.

              I tried to convert the WA ecw to ozf - process took nearly a day ...seem to finish (no error message and came up with "completed")...but then there was no ozf image file created.

              I am not going to bother anymore until the new set is released. (officially - there are some around) and there are far better alternatives already for some of WA :)

              Cheers
              Greg