Re: Failing to import a SHP file from French IGN

  • barbudor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
      Hi

      No success.

      I have tried 2 ways :

      - Import from MapInfo MIF file : don't ask anything but fills the map of a
      lot of "random" lines
      - Import ESRI Shape File / Polygones : I have been able to enter the above
      settings. It loads a lot of tracks that displays as a lot of rectangles
      randomly distributed over France and oceans :)

      What I expect is an almost regular matrix of France which lists all the IGN
      maps with reference numbers.

      Any other idea ?

      Thanks

      barbudor.

    • Jean-Claude Repetto
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
        Le 03/11/2010 17:16, barbudor a écrit :
        > Hi
        >
        > No success.
        >
        > I have tried 2 ways :
        >
        > - Import from MapInfo MIF file : don't ask anything but fills the map of a
        > lot of "random" lines
        > - Import ESRI Shape File / Polygones : I have been able to enter the above
        > settings. It loads a lot of tracks that displays as a lot of rectangles
        > randomly distributed over France and oceans :)
        >
        > What I expect is an almost regular matrix of France which lists all the IGN
        > maps with reference numbers.
        >
        > Any other idea ?

        Salut,

        If Ozi can't display them, you can use QGIS, I have tested both files
        successfully.

        Jean-Claude
      • barbudor
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
          But our goal is to have it in Ozi.
          So you think it might be a limitation of Ozi ?

          I may have to send this link to Des.

          Merci jcr83 :)

          Barbudor

          2010/11/3 Jean-Claude Repetto <jrepetto@...>

          > Le 03/11/2010 17:16, barbudor a �crit :
          >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > No success.
          > >
          > > I have tried 2 ways :
          > >
          > > - Import from MapInfo MIF file : don't ask anything but fills the map of
          > > lot of "random" lines
          > > - Import ESRI Shape File / Polygones : I have been able to enter the
          > above
          > > settings. It loads a lot of tracks that displays as a lot of rectangles
          > > randomly distributed over France and oceans :)
          > >
          > > What I expect is an almost regular matrix of France which lists all the
          > IGN
          > > maps with reference numbers.
          > >
          > > Any other idea ?
          > >

          > Salut,
          >
          > If Ozi can't display them, you can use QGIS, I have tested both files
          > successfully.
          >
          > Jean-Claude

        • rwcx183
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2010
            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, barbudor <barbudor@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > No success.
            >
            > I have tried 2 ways :
            >
            > - Import from MapInfo MIF file : don't ask anything but fills the map of a
            > lot of "random" lines
            > - Import ESRI Shape File / Polygones : I have been able to enter the above
            > settings. It loads a lot of tracks that displays as a lot of rectangles
            > randomly distributed over France and oceans :)
            >
            > What I expect is an almost regular matrix of France which lists all the IGN
            > maps with reference numbers.
            >
            > Any other idea ?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > barbudor.

            Barbudor,

            I did not have any issue importing those ESRI shapefiles as long as I used the projection parameters I previously outlined. There is one thing that you may need to do though. That is, at some point in the import process, a small dialog appears that lets you choose "type" and "description field". If you select something in those, then Ozi will create multiple tracks and you may run into a limit on the number of tracks. I thought this limit had been removed, but I wasn't able to get that to work. As long as you don't select anything for type or description, then all points will be imported into a single track and it will display correctly.

            One of the shapefiles that I imported appears to show the outline of individual maps available for download.

            J.G.
          • barbudor
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2010
              Everything works fine.

              I probably entered wrong parameters the 1st time.

              Regards

              Barbudor