Re: [OziUsers-L] Are dates saved with tracks on new GPS

  • Reg
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 2, 2010
      Posted by: "Erik Kirk" kirknel@...   erik_kirknel

      > Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 am (PDT)

      > GPSmap76CSX do not save time parameters when the track is saved to file in the GPS.

      Sorry for the delay, but I've not had this GPSr with me and before
      correcting the wrong information, wanted to confirm it.

      This is incorrect with my 76CSx.

      The track log saved to the SD card contains the full date and time:-

      <trkpt lat="50.332937" lon="0.178477">
      <ele>45.501</ele>
      <time>2009-01-25T00:07:23Z</time>
      </trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="50.332902" lon="0.178415">
      <ele>45.670</ele>
      <time>2009-01-25T00:08:00Z</time>
      </trkpt>
      <trkpt lat="50.332864" lon="0.178412">
      <ele>46.803</ele>
      <time>2009-01-25T00:08:57Z</time>
      </trkpt>

      It was this feature that was at the top of my list of requirements
      prior to purchase.

      A file is produced for every day, once the option is set to on, using
      this format: 20090125.gpx .

      It happens everyday that the 76CSx is switched on, without any further
      action by the user.

      I use an SDHC card to provide a very large amount of free space for
      this feature.

      Use the OziEx menu 'Load ¦ Import GPX File', to display your travels
      for any day.

      Reg
    • Erik Kirk
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 3, 2010
        Maybe a misunderstanding here: When GPSmap76CSx produces a traclog, time parameters is registered in the track log (can be checked eg in MapSource).
        Save this track log to file (Menu, Tracks, Save), the saved file DO NOT appear on MapSource with time parameters, please check the two files in uploaded file site.

        Br erik kirknel

        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Reg <lists.reg@...> wrote:

        > Posted by: "Erik Kirk" kirknel@...   erik_kirknel
        >
        > > Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 am (PDT)
        >
        > > GPSmap76CSX do not save time parameters when the track is saved to file in the GPS.
        >
        > Sorry for the delay, but I've not had this GPSr with me and before
        > correcting the wrong information, wanted to confirm it.
        >
        > This is incorrect with my 76CSx.
        >
        > The track log saved to the SD card contains the full date and time:-
        >
        > <trkpt lat="50.332937" lon="0.178477">
        > <ele>45.501</ele>
        > <time>2009-01-25T00:07:23Z</time>
        > </trkpt>
        > <trkpt lat="50.332902" lon="0.178415">
        > <ele>45.670</ele>
        > <time>2009-01-25T00:08:00Z</time>
        > </trkpt>
        > <trkpt lat="50.332864" lon="0.178412">
        > <ele>46.803</ele>
        > <time>2009-01-25T00:08:57Z</time>
        > </trkpt>
        >
        > It was this feature that was at the top of my list of requirements
        > prior to purchase.
        >
        > A file is produced for every day, once the option is set to on, using
        > this format: 20090125.gpx .
        >
        > It happens everyday that the 76CSx is switched on, without any further
        > action by the user.
        >
        > I use an SDHC card to provide a very large amount of free space for
        > this feature.
        >
        > Use the OziEx menu 'Load ¦ Import GPX File', to display your travels
        > for any day.
        >
        > Reg

      • Rahkonen Jukka
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 3, 2010
          Hi,

          I do not believe that 76CSx has a SD card. Automatic save to card works with, for example, eTrex Vista. With 76CSx the solution is to read the active log with MapSource or Ozi. Active log contains timestamps but manual saving drops them as Erik describes.

          -Jukka Rahkonen-

          Erik Kirk wrote:

          > Maybe a misunderstanding here: When GPSmap76CSx produces a traclog, time parameters is registered in the track log (can be checked eg in MapSource).
          Save this track log to file (Menu, Tracks, Save), the saved file DO NOT appear on MapSource with time parameters, please check the two files in uploaded file site.

          > Br erik kirknel

          > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Reg <lists.reg@...> wrote:
          >
          > Posted by: "Erik Kirk" kirknel@...   erik_kirknel
          >
          > > Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:27 am (PDT)
          >
          > > GPSmap76CSX do not save time parameters when the track is saved to file in the GPS.
          >
          > Sorry for the delay, but I've not had this GPSr with me and before
          > correcting the wrong information, wanted to confirm it.
          >
          > This is incorrect with my 76CSx.
          >
          > The track log saved to the SD card contains the full date and time:-
          >
          > <trkpt lat="50.332937" lon="0.178477">
          > <ele>45.501</ele>
          > <time>2009-01-25T00:07:23Z</time>
          > </trkpt>
          > <trkpt lat="50.332902" lon="0.178415">
          > <ele>45.670</ele>
          > <time>2009-01-25T00:08:00Z</time>
          > </trkpt>
          > <trkpt lat="50.332864" lon="0.178412">
          > <ele>46.803</ele>
          > <time>2009-01-25T00:08:57Z</time>
          > </trkpt>
          >
          > It was this feature that was at the top of my list of requirements
          > prior to purchase.
          >
          > A file is produced for every day, once the option is set to on, using
          > this format: 20090125.gpx .
          >
          > It happens everyday that the 76CSx is switched on, without any further
          > action by the user.
          >
          > I use an SDHC card to provide a very large amount of free space for
          > this feature.
          >
          > Use the OziEx menu 'Load ¦ Import GPX File', to display your travels
          > for any day.
          >
          > Reg

        • Wheaton, Simon
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 3, 2010
            It has a microSD card.

            Simon
            Canberra
            AUSRALIA

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 3, 2010
              Hi,

              It this manual valid, see page 64
              http://www.mannlib.cornell.edu/files/documents/GPSMAP76CSx_OwnersManual.pdf

              It does not show the log to card option.

              Or is it like in eTrex Vista with the data card option, page 17
              http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegendHCx_OwnersManual.pdf

              If Lof Track to Data Card option is available, then is creates automatically a new gpx file on the card, and these gpx files do have the timestamps. If there isn't the save to card option then the only way for getting the timestamps is to use the active log.

              -Jukka-

              Wheaton, Simon wrote:

              It has a microSD card.

              Simon
              Canberra
              AUSRALIA

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 5, 2010
                If I'm not entirely mistaken, card logging came with a software update
                to GPSMap60CSx that I have and in that case it is possible that it's not
                in the manual.. not sure but recal something like that. This may explain
                if it is missing from manuals for other models as well. Logging is a
                great great feature..
                -teppo

                PS: hint, you can open as many gpx you want with g7towin at once just by
                selecting all of them and save them in single Ozi track file.

                3.9.2010 18:05, Rahkonen Jukka kirjoitti:

                > Hi,
                >
                > It this manual valid, see page 64
                > http://www.mannlib.cornell.edu/files/documents/GPSMAP76CSx_OwnersManual.pdf
                >
                > It does not show the log to card option.
                >
                > Or is it like in eTrex Vista with the data card option, page 17
                > http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/eTrexLegendHCx_OwnersManual.pdf
                >
                > If Lof Track to Data Card option is available, then is creates
                > automatically a new gpx file on the card, and these gpx files do have
                > the timestamps. If there isn't the save to card option then the only way
                > for getting the timestamps is to use the active log.
                >
                > -Jukka-
                >
                > Wheaton, Simon wrote:
                >
                > It has a microSD card.
                >
                > Simon
                > Canberra
                > AUSRALIA
                >
                > ________________________________

              • RICHARD
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 10, 2010
                  Hi Kev

                  Your comment "saved my track each day...." might mean you saved within the Etrex, or might mean you saved it to Ozie on a PC. If its to the Etrex, the saved tracks are much courser (ie track points every minute instead of every 5 seconds). If such an abbreviated track is then downloaded to Ozie/PC the result is also abbreviated (obviously), and looses height data. The big reduction of track points means the track looks rather angular, and the track distance will be somewhat shorter than the active track the Etrex originally made. All this is based on my experience with an 8-year old Etrex Summit.

                  Regards,

                  Richard

                  --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "kevin" <kfitzmaurice@...> wrote:

                  > I have a Garmin e-Trex and it works quite well with Ozi.
                  > However, there is a limitation. On a recent trip (mostly hiking) I saved my track each day before returning home. The plan was to use the tracks to geo-reference photos after saving the tracks from Ozi in GPX format.
                  > However, the e-Trex does not save time info in saved tracks, just in the track memory. I assume this is a limitation of the small memory in the e-Trex.
                  >
                  > Do any of the newer GPS units (I'm thinking GPS60 or GPS62) save the times when you save tracks? Having times at locations is crucial to geo-ref photos.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Kev.

                • Anthony Stephens
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 13, 2010
                    Just travelled four weeks around the south of France and saved my data
                    each day from a Garmin 60csx, then on return matched it against digital
                    images from camera and then superimposed using Oziphototools. So, yes,
                    the 60csx does save time data.

                    --

                    Anthony Stephens
                    Cartographic Manager