Timestamp

  • Phil Wyatt
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2, 2010
      Hi Folks,

      I am having issues with timestamps and noted the following from another thread..

      > Some GPS receivers, such as the Garmin 60Cx, place the date/time
      > in the Waypoint's comment/description field when you use the GPS
      > receiver to mark a waypoint. When you load those waypoints into
      > OziExplorer, the date/time shows up under Description.

      As above I am using Garmin 60csx's... but I need to use the description field for another purpose and need to populate the date/time into the correct waypoint field (as if you went into Edit Date and pasted the details from the description field).

      Does anyone know of tool that would allow me to do this quickly as some of my waypoint lists have hundreds of records.

      Cheers - Phil

      DPIPWE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
      The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.
    • Phil Wyatt
      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2010
        As an alternative - is there a programmer out there that would like to have a crack at this? - send me a private email if it interests you. There is some urgency to this on my behalf.

        I am having issues with timestamps and noted the following from another thread..

        > Some GPS receivers, such as the Garmin 60Cx, place the date/time
        > in the Waypoint's comment/description field when you use the GPS
        > receiver to mark a waypoint. When you load those waypoints into
        > OziExplorer, the date/time shows up under Description.

        As above I am using Garmin 60csx's... but I need to use the description field for another purpose and need to populate the date/time into the correct waypoint field (as if you went into Edit Date and pasted the details from the description field).

        Does anyone know of tool that would allow me to do this quickly as some of my waypoint lists have hundreds of records.

        Cheers - Phil

        DPIPWE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
        The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.
      • Dave Patton
        Message 3 of 11 , May 2, 2010
          On 2010/05/02 8:01 PM, Phil Wyatt wrote:
          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > I am having issues with timestamps and noted the following from
          > another thread..
          >
          >> Some GPS receivers, such as the Garmin 60Cx, place the date/time in
          >> the Waypoint's comment/description field when you use the GPS
          >> receiver to mark a waypoint. When you load those waypoints into
          >> OziExplorer, the date/time shows up under Description.
          >
          > As above I am using Garmin 60csx's... but I need to use the
          > description field for another purpose and need to populate the
          > date/time into the correct waypoint field (as if you went into Edit
          > Date and pasted the details from the description field).
          >
          > Does anyone know of tool that would allow me to do this quickly as
          > some of my waypoint lists have hundreds of records.

          You could look at exporting the waypoint list from Ozi
          into a text file, loading the text file into something
          such as Excel, running a macro to turn the timestamp into
          a proper date field, exporting the modified data, and then
          importing the modified text file back into Ozi.

          Or maybe export the waypoint list from Ozi into an XML
          format (e.g. GPX) and modify the data via an XSLT Transform,
          then import back into Ozi.

          --
          Dave Patton
          CIS Canadian Information Systems

          Degree Confluence Project:
          Canadian Coordinator
          Technical Coordinator
          http://www.confluence.org/

          Personal website:
          Maps, GPS, etc.
          http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
        • Phil Wyatt
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2010
            Thanks Dave - that's what I am doing at the moment and it's a bit of a pain. I also have to train up some other folks as well so I am trying to make it as seamless as possible. I have just shot an email to Des - if it's a possibility we may even pay for the programming of another button on the waypoint list - that way everyone gets the benefit.

            Ozi has served us very well over the years so its time to give something back I think.

            Cheers - Phil

            On 2010/05/02 8:01 PM, Phil Wyatt wrote:
            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > I am having issues with timestamps and noted the following from
            > another thread..
            >
            >> Some GPS receivers, such as the Garmin 60Cx, place the date/time in
            >> the Waypoint's comment/description field when you use the GPS
            >> receiver to mark a waypoint. When you load those waypoints into
            >> OziExplorer, the date/time shows up under Description.
            >
            > As above I am using Garmin 60csx's... but I need to use the
            > description field for another purpose and need to populate the
            > date/time into the correct waypoint field (as if you went into Edit
            > Date and pasted the details from the description field).
            >
            > Does anyone know of tool that would allow me to do this quickly as
            > some of my waypoint lists have hundreds of records.

            You could look at exporting the waypoint list from Ozi
            into a text file, loading the text file into something
            such as Excel, running a macro to turn the timestamp into
            a proper date field, exporting the modified data, and then
            importing the modified text file back into Ozi.

            Or maybe export the waypoint list from Ozi into an XML
            format (e.g. GPX) and modify the data via an XSLT Transform,
            then import back into Ozi.

            --
            Dave Patton
            CIS Canadian Information Systems
            Victoria, B.C.

            Degree Confluence Project:
            Canadian Coordinator
            Technical Coordinator
            http://www.confluence.org/

            Personal website:
            Maps, GPS, etc.
            http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/

            DPIPWE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
            The information in this transmission may be confidential and/or protected by legal professional privilege, and is intended only for the person or persons to whom it is addressed. If you are not such a person, you are warned that any disclosure, copying or dissemination of the information is unauthorised. If you have received the transmission in error, please immediately contact this office by telephone, fax or email, to inform us of the error and to enable arrangements to be made for the destruction of the transmission, or its return at our cost. No liability is accepted for any unauthorised use of the information contained in this transmission.
          • Sutripta
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2010
              My workflow:
              Open in Mapsource
              Save as txt
              Open, and manipulate in Excel
              Save in same format
              Convert using GPSBabael (Import format = Garmin txt)

              If saved as gdb, timestamp shows up as modified timestamp
              In Ozi, though the information is there, there is no col for timestamp in
              the waypoint list.

              Regards
              Sutripta