Re: Making wpt-file with own symbols

  • vk6cm
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
      I would also like a detailed explanation of what each column (or should that be row)in the waypoint file means.

      It has probably been answered a brazillion times but I cannot find what I'm after with the search.

      Colin

      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "hansvanderweide" <hansvanderweide@...> wrote:

      > I am experimenting with creating a wpt-file with my own symbols. I cannot find which column needs which value to make Ozi3.96.4a using User-symbols. I give the name of the symbol in column 26, as this is where Ozi stores the name when I choose the symbol manually. Is that the correct position ? I have to deal with 3100 waypoints, doing each one manually is no real option...
      >
      > Hans

    • barbudor
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
        Hello,

        You'll find what you need there :
        http://www.rus-roads.ru/gps/help_ozi/fileformats.html

        Happy New Year

        Barbudor

        2010/1/2 vk6cm <ozzimozzi@...>

        > I would also like a detailed explanation of what each column (or should
        > that be row)in the waypoint file means.
        >
        > It has probably been answered a brazillion times but I cannot find what I'm
        > after with the search.
        >
        > Colin
        >

        > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com <OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > "hansvanderweide" <hansvanderweide@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am experimenting with creating a wpt-file with my own symbols. I cannot
        > find which column needs which value to make Ozi3.96.4a using User-symbols. I
        > give the name of the symbol in column 26, as this is where Ozi stores the
        > name when I choose the symbol manually. Is that the correct position ? I
        > have to deal with 3100 waypoints, doing each one manually is no real
        > option...
        > >
        > > Hans

      • barbudor
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
          I should have added that as far as I know, there is
          no way to define your own symbols.

          All symbols seems to have been defined a few years
          ago by Garmin and its Map Source software.
          Matching between ID and symbol comes from there.

          I have it somewhere but not on this PC, I can send it
          later when I'm back homein a few days.
          (Or you can find my post a few months back about a
          conversion software between OZI and CartoExploreur.
          One of the source files include such reference table).

          Cheers

          Barbudor

          2010/1/2 barbudor <barbudor@...>

          > Hello,
          >
          > You'll find what you need there :
          > http://www.rus-roads.ru/gps/help_ozi/fileformats.html
          >
          > Happy New Year
          >
          > Barbudor
          >
          > 2010/1/2 vk6cm <ozzimozzi@...>
          >

          >> I would also like a detailed explanation of what each column (or should
          >> that be row)in the waypoint file means.
          >>
          >> It has probably been answered a brazillion times but I cannot find what
          >> I'm after with the search.
          >>
          >> Colin
          >>

          >> --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com <OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>,
          >> "hansvanderweide" <hansvanderweide@...> wrote:
          >> >
          >> > I am experimenting with creating a wpt-file with my own symbols. I
          >> cannot find which column needs which value to make Ozi3.96.4a using
          >> User-symbols. I give the name of the symbol in column 26, as this is where
          >> Ozi stores the name when I choose the symbol manually. Is that the correct
          >> position ? I have to deal with 3100 waypoints, doing each one manually is no
          >> real option...
          >> >
          >> > Hans

        • rwcx183
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, barbudor <barbudor@...> wrote:

            > I should have added that as far as I know, there is
            > no way to define your own symbols.
            >
            > All symbols seems to have been defined a few years
            > ago by Garmin and its Map Source software.
            > Matching between ID and symbol comes from there.
            >
            > I have it somewhere but not on this PC, I can send it
            > later when I'm back homein a few days.
            > (Or you can find my post a few months back about a
            > conversion software between OZI and CartoExploreur.
            > One of the source files include such reference table).
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Barbudor

            Barbudor,

            Actually there is a way to create your own symbol set. If you search the Ozi help file for "Garmin Symbol Set Creator", you'll find the details of how to create custom waypoint symbols. Additionally, the waypoint file format, along with all of the other data file formats, are documented under Technical=>Data File Formats, in the help file. The website you referenced was simply copied from the help file.

            J.G.
          • Dave Patton
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
              On 2010/01/02 12:59 AM, vk6cm wrote:
              > I would also like a detailed explanation of what each column (or
              > should that be row)in the waypoint file means.
              >
              > It has probably been answered a brazillion times but I cannot find
              > what I'm after with the search.

              OziExplorer Help file, "Technical" chapter.

              Not all of the info is necessarily 100% complete,
              but you can create a waypoint in Ozi, save it,
              look at the waypoint file in a text editor, then
              change the waypoint's properties in Ozi and save
              again, and compare the changed waypoint file to
              the original file, to confirm what happens to
              the waypoint file when you change a waypoint's
              properties in Ozi.

              --
              Dave Patton
              CIS Canadian Information Systems

              Degree Confluence Project:
              Canadian Coordinator
              Technical Coordinator
              http://www.confluence.org/

              Personal website:
              Maps, GPS, etc.
              http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
            • barbudor
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                I should have better read that F.... Manual :)

                2010/1/2 Dave Patton <davep@...>

                > On 2010/01/02 12:59 AM, vk6cm wrote:
                > > I would also like a detailed explanation of what each column (or
                > > should that be row)in the waypoint file means.
                > >
                > > It has probably been answered a brazillion times but I cannot find
                > > what I'm after with the search.
                >
                > OziExplorer Help file, "Technical" chapter.
                >
                > Not all of the info is necessarily 100% complete,
                > but you can create a waypoint in Ozi, save it,
                > look at the waypoint file in a text editor, then
                > change the waypoint's properties in Ozi and save
                > again, and compare the changed waypoint file to
                > the original file, to confirm what happens to
                > the waypoint file when you change a waypoint's
                > properties in Ozi.
                >
                > --
                > Dave Patton
                > CIS Canadian Information Systems
                > Victoria, B.C.
                >
                > Degree Confluence Project:
                > Canadian Coordinator
                > Technical Coordinator
                > http://www.confluence.org/
                >
                > Personal website:
                > Maps, GPS, etc.
                > http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/

              • John Tserkezis
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
                  rwcx183 wrote:

                  > Actually there is a way to create your own symbol set.
                  > If you search the Ozi help file for "Garmin Symbol Set Creator", you'll find the
                  details of how to create custom waypoint symbols.

                  You can't actually create your own waypoint symbols though. You can
                  only select a subset, and name that set, or "collection".

                  This feature is tied to Garmin products, and certain symbols can be
                  associated with certain waypoints.

                  All (most?) known Garmin waypoint symbols are pre-defined and are
                  hard-coded within OziExplorer.

                  However, not all Garmin products use ALL known symbols, so the "Garmin
                  Symbol Set Creator" (a bit of misnomer, because you can't actually
                  CREATE new symbols) allows you to select a subset of symbols, and use
                  that subset with YOUR particular Garmin product.

                  Again, the symbols have been recreated from a variety of Garmin
                  products, and are hard-coded within Ozi. You cannot remove, edit or add
                  to this existing set.

                  It's a shame this feature is tied to Garmin products, as it would be
                  quite useful on a more generic basis, and not be limited to whatever
                  symbols Garmin uses.

                  Events are in the the same boat. They also use the Garmin-only symbol
                  set.

                  Map Features use bitmapped images in the \OziExplorer\Symbols\ folder.
                  This you can customise as you wish. However, Map Features are tied to
                  the current map you're working on, and are not "portable" or seamlessly
                  transferable.
                • kiwino1@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 4, 2010
                    Old saying and ways

                    If it does not work:

                    1. read the manual.

                    2. If it still does not work, obey the manual.

                    3. If it still does not work, ask someone with a brain.

                    4. If it still does not work, PANIC