Re: [OziUsers-L] Re: Points vs Events vs Waypoints

  • John Tserkezis
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2009
      kiwino1@... wrote:

      > Not quite though, if you are critically short of memory that is correct,
      > but as we usually have plenty of memory available in our systems today, it
      > is not the case. Think of the memory usage as a string of characters, like
      > a letter. if you don't write anything in the letter, the space can be used
      > for something else.

      Ah grasshopper. Tis easy to forget not everyone uses a box with
      computing power that would make the type of computer that put man on the
      moon look like a non-functioning digital wristwatch.

      "Carputers" as they have been known, run full blown Ozi, and are
      embedded x86 computers of slender physical proportions, and slender
      performance to boot. More than enough to do the job though.

      However, *expectations* are that we can do the exact same thing with
      one, as the other.

      > If a feature is not used the space is empty, and no
      > memory is used. In fact, by having a number of different features, you are
      > using up more memory than if you had one flexible, provided of course that
      > you have a good handle on how to write software.

      I only do this if I have to. In the very best of "do as I say, not as
      I do", I set up arrays and leave unused fields blank, even though they
      occupy the same amount of memory.

      Then again, those tools only ever get used on the desktop, not on the
      road...
    • kiwino1@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
        I would love to run ozi in the car on a netbook, but the PC version just
        does not have the features.

        At 08:29 p.m. 1/12/2009 +1100, you wrote:

        ><mailto:kiwino1%40gmail.com>kiwino1@... wrote:
        >
        > > Not quite though, if you are critically short of memory that is correct,
        > > but as we usually have plenty of memory available in our systems today, it
        > > is not the case. Think of the memory usage as a string of characters, like
        > > a letter. if you don't write anything in the letter, the space can be used
        > > for something else.
        >
        >Ah grasshopper. Tis easy to forget not everyone uses a box with
        >computing power that would make the type of computer that put man on the
        >moon look like a non-functioning digital wristwatch.
        >
        >"Carputers" as they have been known, run full blown Ozi, and are
        >embedded x86 computers of slender physical proportions, and slender
        >performance to boot. More than enough to do the job though.
        >
        >However, *expectations* are that we can do the exact same thing with
        >one, as the other.
        >
        > > If a feature is not used the space is empty, and no
        > > memory is used. In fact, by having a number of different features, you are
        > > using up more memory than if you had one flexible, provided of course that
        > > you have a good handle on how to write software.
        >
        >I only do this if I have to. In the very best of "do as I say, not as
        >I do", I set up arrays and leave unused fields blank, even though they
        >occupy the same amount of memory.
        >
        >Then again, those tools only ever get used on the desktop, not on the
        >road...

      • John Tserkezis
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
          kiwino1@... wrote:

          > I would love to run ozi in the car on a netbook, but the PC version just
          > does not have the features.

          What features specifically? Hardware or software? I ran Ozi on a
          laptop on a custom made stand, and it worked flawlessly. Both on
          software and hardware grounds.
        • kiwino1@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2009
            All the features in pocket pc ozi, maybe repositioned on the larger screen
            so you have the position on a moving map, and navigational clock type
            indicators for speed, elevation, up-down, artificial horizon, direction to
            waypoints, and to target, and an "ILS/VOR" type indicator when you drift
            off course. Nice would be a trip type computer system. All to run on Linux
            dedicated operating system or XP and on a netbook.