Problems changing maps in moving map

  • elsie335
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2009
      I usually use Natmaps 250k maps when driving, I also have UBD Regional towns maps loaded into the same folder. In configuration on the moving map tab I have selected 'always check for more detailed map' and in moving map control I have the buttons activated to check for more detailed map. When I enter a regional town covered by a UBD map, Ozi does not change to the more detailed map, I can select it manually and it works. When I leave the area covered by the map Ozi reverts to the 250k map. Why doesn't Ozi recognise UBD regional town maps?
    • Laurie Miles
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2009
        You say you have the button activated to check for more detailed more. the other settings is the Check Interval. How many seconds to you have this set at?

        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "elsie335" <elsie335@...> wrote:

        > I usually use Natmaps 250k maps when driving, I also have UBD Regional towns maps loaded into the same folder. In configuration on the moving map tab I have selected 'always check for more detailed map' and in moving map control I have the buttons activated to check for more detailed map. When I enter a regional town covered by a UBD map, Ozi does not change to the more detailed map, I can select it manually and it works. When I leave the area covered by the map Ozi reverts to the 250k map. Why doesn't Ozi recognise UBD regional town maps?

      • Terry
        Message 3 of 11 , May 8, 2009
          I am following this thread with interest too

          What interval should we set it to?

          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2009
            There is no magic number. It is a personal choice. The higher the seconds you set, the longer it may be before a more detailed map loads. However, the shorter you make it, means that your laptop/PC is continually doing a lot of work to check for more detailed maps.

            Remember if you pass through a very small town and you have it set to say 60 seconds, you might find that you have passed through the town before Ozi does its auto search.

            Personally, I don't use this option as I don't like more detailed maps loading unless I specifically want that to happen.

            When I need a more detailed map, I have an F key set up to find more detailed map at cursor. It is so easy to hit the F key and then select the more detailed map by arrowing down to it and then press the enter key. Also, I am not sitting there waiting for a more detailed map to load, and wandering how long before Ozi starts its search.

            Laurie

            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Terry" <kiwiinaussieau@...> wrote:

            > I am following this thread with interest too
            >
            > What interval should we set it to?
            >

            > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie Miles" <laurencemiles@> wrote:
            > >
            > > You say you have the button activated to check for more detailed more. the other settings is the Check Interval. How many seconds to you have this set at?
            > >

            > > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "elsie335" <elsie335@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I usually use Natmaps 250k maps when driving, I also have UBD Regional towns maps loaded into the same folder. In configuration on the moving map tab I have selected 'always check for more detailed map' and in moving map control I have the buttons activated to check for more detailed map. When I enter a regional town covered by a UBD map, Ozi does not change to the more detailed map, I can select it manually and it works. When I leave the area covered by the map Ozi reverts to the 250k map. Why doesn't Ozi recognise UBD regional town maps?

          • Reg
            Message 5 of 11 , May 9, 2009
              Posted by: "Laurie Miles" laurencemiles@... lauriemiles400

              There is no magic number. It is a personal choice. The higher the
              seconds you set, the longer it may be before a more detailed map loads.
              However, the shorter you make it, means that your laptop/PC is
              continually doing a lot of work to check for more detailed maps.

              Remember if you pass through a very small town and you have it set to
              say 60 seconds, you might find that you have passed through the town
              before Ozi does its auto search.

              Personally, I don't use this option as I don't like more detailed maps

              When I need a more detailed map, I have an F key set up to find more
              detailed map at cursor. It is so easy to hit the F key and then select
              the more detailed map by arrowing down to it and then press the enter
              key. Also, I am not sitting there waiting for a more detailed map to
              load, and wandering how long before Ozi starts its search.
              ____________________________________

              When displaying an index map, with the path set correctly, a rectangle
              is used to show every map in the path that is available.

              I would have thought that this feature could easily be included
              (switched on/off by option) in the main mapping display.

              Then a single function key press could drill down to more detailed maps.
              Every press of the function key drilling down further if maps are
              available. To automatically return when leaving the detailed map(s).

              Possibly a second function key could be used to zoom up.

              Reg.
            • Laurie Miles
              Message 6 of 11 , May 9, 2009
                Reg

                Whilst I like the principle of index maps, I do not use this function as I find it is time consuming to set up when travelling to different regions. I think index maps are great for planning trips and hunting for maps when not using moving map.

                However, once i am on the road and in moving map mode, my needs change, so I find the F key a better solution for finding more detailed maps. Its quick and uses less screen spacce to show the drop down window than an index map does.

                I am sure there are many users who love index maps, but as most of my Ozi usage is 4WDing, the fewer keystrokes I have to use, the better. This is one of the reasons why I asked Des many years ago to allow users to use the arrow keys and enter key when selecting a map in the drop down window. Before the change, you had to use your mouse. Using a mouse when 4WDing is quite a challenge!!

                Laurie

                --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Reg" <lists.reg@...> wrote:

                > Posted by: "Laurie Miles" laurencemiles@... lauriemiles400
                >
                > There is no magic number. It is a personal choice. The higher the
                > seconds you set, the longer it may be before a more detailed map loads.
                > However, the shorter you make it, means that your laptop/PC is
                > continually doing a lot of work to check for more detailed maps.
                >
                > Remember if you pass through a very small town and you have it set to
                > say 60 seconds, you might find that you have passed through the town
                > before Ozi does its auto search.
                >
                > Personally, I don't use this option as I don't like more detailed maps
                >
                > When I need a more detailed map, I have an F key set up to find more
                > detailed map at cursor. It is so easy to hit the F key and then select
                > the more detailed map by arrowing down to it and then press the enter
                > key. Also, I am not sitting there waiting for a more detailed map to
                > load, and wandering how long before Ozi starts its search.
                > ____________________________________
                >
                > When displaying an index map, with the path set correctly, a rectangle
                > is used to show every map in the path that is available.
                >
                > I would have thought that this feature could easily be included
                > (switched on/off by option) in the main mapping display.
                >
                > Then a single function key press could drill down to more detailed maps.
                > Every press of the function key drilling down further if maps are
                > available. To automatically return when leaving the detailed map(s).
                >
                > Possibly a second function key could be used to zoom up.
                >
                > Reg.

              • Reg
                Message 7 of 11 , May 10, 2009
                  Posted by: "Laurie Miles" laurencemiles@...

                  Before the change, you had to use your mouse. Using a mouse when 4WDing
                  is quite a challenge!!

                  I fully agree about mice. My first was a Garmin GPS-75 connected to
                  Psion computers and when the first with a touch screen arrived, I
                  upgraded.

                  Unfortunately they don't have USB ports!

                  My main vehicles since 1991 have been Land Rovers doing what they were
                  designed for! My aim is to have OziEx running on a full size screen
                  mounted permanently on the dashboard in front of the passenger. Now
                  it's on the lap, but it gets too hot, even with a very big insulated
                  bean-bag.

                  Reg.
                • Lou
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 10, 2009
                    Get a screen built for police or fire vehicles - it can be seen in bright sunlight - I have one in my Bronco - old Garmin 12xl feeding a Panasonic Toughbook computer feeding the screen mounted against the dash between driver and passenger. It can turn a little to be view by either. Works great with Ozi.

                    Lou

                    No Bad Days

                    The trouble with doing nothing is how do I know when I'm done?

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 11, 2009
                      Has anyone tried using a track ball, instead of a mouse, when needed in a moving vehicle?

                      I was thinking about it the other day : your hand holds the track ball "housing" and your fingers move the track ball. Because of this you can still maintain accurate control of your cursor's position even if the track ball unit is being jolted and bumped around. Not possible at all with the conventional mouse.

                      I went and ordered one two weeks ago to use with OziExplorer on my Dell Mini. Am still waiting for my local "friendly" computer shop to ring me and let me know it has arrived : "One week - we'll give you a call and you can come and pick it up". Right!

                      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Reg" <lists.reg@...> wrote:

                      > Posted by: "Laurie Miles" laurencemiles@...
                      >
                      > Before the change, you had to use your mouse. Using a mouse when 4WDing
                      > is quite a challenge!!
                      >
                      > I fully agree about mice. My first was a Garmin GPS-75 connected to
                      > Psion computers and when the first with a touch screen arrived, I
                      > upgraded.
                      >
                      > Unfortunately they don't have USB ports!
                      >
                      > My main vehicles since 1991 have been Land Rovers doing what they were
                      > designed for! My aim is to have OziEx running on a full size screen
                      > mounted permanently on the dashboard in front of the passenger. Now
                      > it's on the lap, but it gets too hot, even with a very big insulated
                      > bean-bag.
                      >
                      > Reg.

                    • Reg
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 11, 2009
                        Posted by: "Lou" bajalou@...

                        Get a screen built for police or fire vehicles - it can be seen in
                        bright sunlight - I have one in my Bronco - old Garmin 12xl feeding a
                        Panasonic Toughbook computer feeding the screen mounted against the dash
                        between driver and passenger. It can turn a little to be view by either.
                        Works great with Ozi.
                        _________________________________
                        That's a good idea Lou. I'd not thought about feeding a second on the
                        dash.

                        I have a second-hand CF-71 Toughbook that I bought to download my tracks
                        when I bought my Garmin 2610 as it had a USB port.

                        Thanks,

                        Reg.
                      • phigginsca
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 11, 2009
                          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <steerer2003@...> wrote:

                          > Has anyone tried using a track ball, instead of a mouse, when needed in a moving vehicle?
                          >
                          > I was thinking about it the other day : your hand holds the track ball "housing" and your fingers move the track ball. Because of this you can still maintain accurate control of your cursor's position even if the track ball unit is being jolted and bumped around. Not possible at all with the conventional mouse.
                          >
                          > I went and ordered one two weeks ago to use with OziExplorer on my Dell Mini. Am still waiting for my local "friendly" computer shop to ring me and let me know it has arrived : "One week - we'll give you a call and you can come and pick it up". Right!

                          I don't have one but I've been looking for one. Could you tell me where you ordered yours? Thanks