Re: Question on Lambert conformal conic calibration

  • Matti Gronroos
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2008
      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Pocileh" <pocileh@...> wrote:
      > Sometimes it's better to have a map that is not calibrated
      > pixel-precise than no map at all.

      This is true.

      For small-scale maps covering even a moderately large area, almost any
      projection will give rather good results.

      Tried an acid test: I drew a map of Finland using the Lambert Conformal
      Conic projection. The map covers latitudes 59 to 71 N and longitudes 18
      to 32 E. Then I started to calibrate it. I told Ozi the map is in the
      Mercator projection. By using nine calibration points and a polynomial
      calibration, the result was amazingly accurate. This is an interesting
      result because the Mercator projection differs significantly from the
      Lambert Conic projection on the high latitudes.

      Matti
    • John Philbrook
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 17, 2008
        All,

        I wanted to thank all of you for the help on the LCC issue I was having.
        I have had a number of other intervening issues but I am now back to the problem at
        hand and expect to check the great references and also try the google and by hand calibration
        that Matti suggested.  I gather my post stirred some controversy--not always a bad thing and
        I do appreciate the thoughtful responses--I will update with a post in the next week or so.

        On a related matter -- I have had very good service from Stitchmaps 2.51 in case anyone is
        considering a purchase--it works well and seems much better than the "adobe" option

        John
        stingybobcat64