Compare OziExplorer to other programs?

  • ozibrigitte
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello:
      This might be a strange question on the OziExplorer forum site, but I
      am not an OziExplorer user yet. I am still trying to find out why I
      should buy OziExplorer instead of ArcPad, or GPS Utility. Can anybody
      point out the cons and pros for me? Thanks very much! Brigitte
    • Michael Gapper
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
        ozibrigitte wrote:
        > Hello:
        > This might be a strange question on the OziExplorer forum site, but I
        > am not an OziExplorer user yet. I am still trying to find out why I
        > should buy OziExplorer instead of ArcPad, or GPS Utility. Can anybody
        > point out the cons and pros for me? Thanks very much! Brigitte

        How about - "because it is the closest Windows comes to Olex"!
      • dennispogson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Michael Gapper <gapper@...> wrote:

          > ozibrigitte wrote:
          > > Hello:
          > > This might be a strange question on the OziExplorer forum site,
          but I
          > > am not an OziExplorer user yet. I am still trying to find out
          why I
          > > should buy OziExplorer instead of ArcPad, or GPS Utility. Can
          anybody
          > > point out the cons and pros for me? Thanks very much! Brigitte
          > >

          > How about - "because it is the closest Windows comes to Olex"!

          As I have only been using computers for around 30 years, and Windows
          for the past 17 of those years, someone would need to explain the
          meaning of this reply to a novice like me. What the devil is "Olex"?

          Dennis.
        • dennispogson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "ozibrigitte" <ozibrigitte@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello:
            > This might be a strange question on the OziExplorer forum site,
            but
            > am not an OziExplorer user yet. I am still trying to find out why
            > should buy OziExplorer instead of ArcPad, or GPS Utility. Can
            anybody
            > point out the cons and pros for me? Thanks very much! Brigitte

            "Pros and Cons" are a very subjective area, since any one of the
            alternatives might suit your purpose and be perfectly adequate for
            your end use, which we are not aware of.

            I use Ozi becuase it has proved to be the best for nautical
            navigation, which is my only use for the program. Others may find
            that it is the best for 4WD outback tracking, and yet others would
            prefer Ozi for their hiking and hill walking.

            Ozi is feature-rich, which makes it ideal for those who like an
            application which covers most, if not all, of their navigation
            needs.

            Other programs may well be adequate for your own needs. You would
            have to try as many as you feel are worth trying before you decide.

            One drawback of feature-rich applications is that the learning
            process can be pretty tiresome. Only you can decide if that is
            likely to be a problem.

            Dennis.
          • Michael Gapper
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
              dennispogson wrote:

              <<SNIP>>
              > What the devil is "Olex"?
              >
              > Dennis.

              <<SNIP>>

              Hi Denis et al,

              if you check out

              http://www.olex.no/index_e_NY.html

              you will find one of the great pieces of mapping / charting / GPS
              Navigation software - although aimed squarely at the commercial marine
              market. I have clients who use Maxsea and similar software, but I try to
              convince them that the only real choices are Ozi or Olex!

              cheers
            • Roger
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                Brigite,

                One look at the ArcPad demo and I decided that it is too
                commercial-oriented. I really like the Ozi user group--some of the
                experts are world class and have helped me greatly in understanding
                datums and projections. I've made suggestions to Des on features for Ozi
                and he's actually incorporated some of them. You won't find this in most
                other packages.

                One thing that intrigues me about GPS Utility is this line in their
                features page:

                */ Digitize data from scanned paper maps for use in a GPS receiver./*

                If this means that map graphics are coverted to a Garmin-compatible map
                display, or that you can somehow transfer roads and topo lines that
                you've manually traced to a hand-held device, then it's a real nifty
                capability. However, I'm guessing that it's a transfer of manual
                waypoints. If so, Ozi can do it.

                I like Ozi because it seems to handle the world of datums and
                projections, meshes GPS WGS 84 data onto older USGS maps using WGS
                72/NAD27 and I don't have to think about it. I can scan paper maps for
                my own use in Ozi and I can get detailed up-to-date roads info/images
                using GMV.

                I've been using Ozi for 10 years and am still improving the logic of my
                file structure to take advantage of the auto search function when in
                moving map. It is feature rich, has a great user group, the developer
                listens to users, and I find that it's both a great navigation system
                and also useful in recording field GPS data for later use in GIS
                applications (tracks and marks, waypoints, map comments and events,
                etc.). For example, I used Ozi to do very quick and cheap surveys of dry
                lakebeds in Nevada and Utah as alternate landing sites for a Lockheed
                single-stage-to-orbit rocketship project. The track data was input to
                the autonomous navigation software for emergency abort situations. Now
                that selective availability is "off," the data would be even better.

                I have a complete set of USGS digital maps for their topo series 25K,
                10K, and 250K for the western US and state highway maps for the same
                area. One of the most useful is the BLM land use map for each state,
                showing the public lands (if you're a boondocker). I don't leave home
                without Ozi!

                Roger

                ozibrigitte wrote:

                > Hello:
                > This might be a strange question on the OziExplorer forum site, but I
                > am not an OziExplorer user yet. I am still trying to find out why I
                > should buy OziExplorer instead of ArcPad, or GPS Utility. Can anybody
                > point out the cons and pros for me? Thanks very much! Brigitte
                >
                > _

              • explorerozi
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                  Hello Brigitte

                  You will probably need to elaborate on your intended purpose/needs as
                  your initial post is slightly ambiguous. OziExplorer comes in three
                  forms - there are 2 Windows PC programs - OziExplorer and OziExplorer
                  3D. Then there is OziExplorerCE for use on Pocket PCs/PDA's. Arcpad is
                  high end (expensive) GIS Pocket PC/PDA program (essentially a utility
                  program for Arcview). GPS Utility is a Windows PC program.

                  All the programs you mention will probably do all or most of what you
                  want (but we dont know what that is??) so ... do you want a relatively
                  cheap and very uselful PC/PDA GPS mapping program (OziExplorer and CE
                  ~$175AUD) or an expensive high end PC/PDA GIS program (Arcpad - ~$1000
                  AUD..maybe more? plus PC Arcview version ~$4000 AUD, again guessing
                  here maybe more) or just the PC based GPS Utility (~$55 US).

                  There are demo versions of all of the above so you can try (to a
                  certain extent) before you buy.

                  Cheers
                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 1, 2007
                    --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Michael Gapper <gapper@...> wrote:

                    > dennispogson wrote:
                    >
                    > <<SNIP>>
                    > > What the devil is "Olex"?
                    > >
                    > > Dennis.
                    > >
                    > <<SNIP>>
                    >
                    > Hi Denis et al,
                    >
                    > if you check out
                    >
                    > http://www.olex.no/index_e_NY.html
                    >
                    > you will find one of the great pieces of mapping / charting / GPS
                    > Navigation software - although aimed squarely at the commercial
                    marine
                    > market. I have clients who use Maxsea and similar software, but I
                    try to
                    > convince them that the only real choices are Ozi or Olex!
                    >
                    > cheers

                    That explains it all Michael! If I should ever migrate to vector
                    charts I will certainly try out Olex and Lino! At the moment Garmin
                    Bluecharts is the only application I have tried using vectors, but
                    the Mapsource/nRoute program is not exactly a competitor to Ozi, so
                    maybe I should be trying Bluecharts with Lino? (Only joking!)

                    Dennis.