Re: [OziUsers-L] Re: mapmerge and resolution

  • robert@budzul.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
      > i stopped using mapmerge, as the results always looked
      >horrible (highly
      > degraded) when using it with maps of central europe.

      Yeah, I find it hard to believe that anyone gets better
      results. And if the maps just self-load I can't see any
      point merging them all...? Unless you do a really rough
      one so you can get an overview. That's why i was keen to
      find out whether there is any overhead in having many maps
      that need to load themselves as you move around...?
    • Dave Patton
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        robert@... wrote:
        >> i stopped using mapmerge, as the results always looked
        >> horrible (highly
        >> degraded) when using it with maps of central europe.
        >

        > Yeah, I find it hard to believe that anyone gets better
        > results

        1)
        Find two adjacent (or overlapping) maps that are
        freely available over the WWW or FTP, and that
        are free from any copyright issues.
        2)
        Load and calibrate (or Import) those two maps.
        3)
        Use MapMerge on those two maps.
        From what is said above, presumably you are not
        happy with the results.
        4)
        Do a screen capture of the merged map loaded
        in Ozi.
        5)
        In this group's Files are, in the TEMP folder,
        upload the two .map files for those maps, as
        well as your screen capture.
        6)
        Send an email to this group with the links to
        the above three files, the links to the two
        map images, an explanation of what settings you
        used in MapMerge, and what you see as being wrong
        with the results(i.e. refer to the screen capture).
        7)
        People on this group can then access the same
        info you are using, and can either confirm
        that MapMerge "doesn't work well"(with those
        two maps), or can tell you how they used it
        to get good results.

        --
        Dave Patton

        Degree Confluence Project:
        Canadian Coordinator
        Technical Coordinator
        http://www.confluence.org/

        FOSS4G2007:
        Workshop Committee
        Conference Committee
        http://www.foss4g2007.org/

        Personal website:
        Maps, GPS, etc.
        http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
      • Broady
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
          robert@... wrote:
          >> i stopped using mapmerge, as the results always looked
          >> horrible (highly
          >> degraded) when using it with maps of central europe.
          >

          > Yeah, I find it hard to believe that anyone gets better
          > results. And if the maps just self-load I can't see any
          > point merging them all...?

          I was thinking it'd be handy if you're working in an area close to the
          border between two maps (or on the corner of four maps as often seems to
          be the case for me).

          Trouble is, it seems to take forever to merge the files ... last time I
          tried it said it had about 400,000 bits to do, and each bit was taking
          about 5 seconds. I needed to use the computer, so I cancelled the operation.

          Maybe if I'm going away for a week or so ?
        • Ralph
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
            As we all know bushfires always occur at the corners of 4 Maps
            regards
            Ralph
            PS I have succeeded with this so keep trying possibly drop the number of
            colours

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
              Ralph wrote:
              > As we all know bushfires always occur at the corners of 4 Maps
              > regards
              > Ralph
              > PS I have succeeded with this so keep trying possibly drop the number of
              > colours

              Thanks for the tip, will give it another go.

              Cheers,
              Broady

              > Broady wrote:

              >>> Yeah, I find it hard to believe that anyone gets better
              >>> results. And if the maps just self-load I can't see any
              >>> point merging them all...?
              >> I was thinking it'd be handy if you're working in an area close to the
              >> border between two maps (or on the corner of four maps as often seems to
              >> be the case for me).
              >>
              >> Trouble is, it seems to take forever to merge the files ... last time I
              >> tried it said it had about 400,000 bits to do, and each bit was taking
              >> about 5 seconds. I needed to use the computer, so I cancelled the
              >> operation.
              >>
              >> Maybe if I'm going away for a week or so ?
              >>

              > Attachments are not allowed for emails sent to this group.
              > When you see spam messages on this group, do not respond.
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Moynihan
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
                I have used mapmerge to combine numbers of maps, up to 6 1:250000 and 4 1:100000 and after lerninh how set the pixels to the same as the original map, never accept the default, I have always achiefed a result similar to the original maps.

                Granted it does take a little time but the result is worth the effort.

                I live near the corner of 4 maps and the search or fire often is on multiple maps so I have prepared some ready to go.

                Persevere the effort will be worth it.

                John Moynihan