Re: problems solved and back in the sh... again!

  • Laurie Miles
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
      George

      I dont think you can import the Hema maps. The Cd should have come
      with map files for Oziexplorer. You need to copy them off the CD
      onto your hard drive along with the image maps.

      You then need to change the path of the map file so it knows where
      you have stored the images.

      Laurie

      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, george matenaers
      <i_carry_ur_bags@...> wrote:

      > dennis,
      >
      > thx for reply and instructions. so far i got the 250 natmap
      mosaic running ok. trying to get hema maps importet to 'maps' is
      unsaccessful and i dont know why.
      > probably using the wrong pass there.
      > eventually i will meet somebody on the road who can do that for
      me. i am well off for the start and might be able to learn by doing.

      > george
      >
      > ags8390 <andrewsander@...> wrote:
      > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Pogson"
      > <dennis_pogson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > George,
      > >
      > > I find the word "map" a bit misleading, since Oziexplorer
      requires
      > 1) a graphics file containing the map or chart you wish to use for
      > your navigation, and 2) a map file which contains all the data
      such
      > as the calibration information, map features and map comments that
      > you have added, and the projection and map datum information.
      > >
      > > The mapfile can be easily opened as it is a simple text file,
      > therefore Notepad will open it, in fact by using the Windows file
      > association facility, I can open all my mapfiles by simply double-
      > clicking the name .
      > >
      > > You say you have deleted all the "maps". Does this mean the
      > mapfiles, or does it mean the graphics files? If the mapfiles are
      > deleted then Ozi cannot list them as they are not there. If it is
      > the graphics files you have deleted, then when you ask Ozi to open
      > mapfile and it's associated graphics file, then it will not be
      able
      > to find the graphics file as you have deleted it!
      > >
      > > The simplest way to enable Ozi to work consistently is to
      > initially put all your mapfiles into one sub-folder under the main
      > Ozi root folder. This should be the "maps" folder which the Ozi
      > setup program creates when you install Ozi for the first time.Then
      > put your graphics files into a folder you have created, again
      under
      > Ozi's root folder, say you call this folder "My Maps".
      > >
      > > When you now click on Load Map File in the menu and select a map
      > file, Ozi will, if it cannot find the graphics file associated
      with
      > the map file you have chosen, cause a window to open which in
      effect
      > states that as it does not know where the graphics file is, it
      > invites you to search the hard disk for this file. You then have
      > go to the folder "My Maps", and select the file which should
      > hopefully bear the same name as the map file you have selected and
      > once this has been found, Ozi changes line 2 of the map file to
      the
      > new path to this graphics file.
      > >
      > > You can of course edit line 2 of the mapfile yourself in
      Notepad,
      > together with a lot of other things, but as you state that
      computers
      > are not your forte, I would advise letting Ozi do the work for you.
      > >
      > > If the graphics files are in a format which Ozi cannot display,
      it
      > will tell you so, although there are not too many graphics formats
      > which Ozi cannot use.
      > >
      > > I'm afraid I can't help ypu to understand computers! Having
      worked
      > with and on them for the past 30 years it is a bit difficult to
      put
      > myself in the position of understanding your problems, but at
      least
      > the above should enable to to simplify the process of getting Ozi
      > find your maps.
      > >

      > > Dennis.
      >
      > A far simpler way would be to just leave all .map files and images
      > in the one area, namely the MAPS sub-directory. To suggest that we
      > use another seperate directory, different to the default directory
      > can be confusing for new users. The name of "MAPS" does not
      > necessarily convey to the new user that only .map files are stored
      > here when using your structure. IMHO, MAPS and MY MAPS could mean
      > the same thing, and as i have found with several Ozi users,
      > confusing as to where the appropriate files should go.
      >
      > Suffice to say, i use a multi-level subdirectory to organise maps,
      > including levels seperating map type, then scale etc. However for
      > the basic user i believe we need to convey a simple structure,
      > especially when issues such as the OP stated crop up. If they have
      > all images and .map files in the same directory, then there should
      > be no problems in "most" cases.
      >
      > Andrew
      > (2nd post, don't know what happened to my first!)

    • Dennis Pogson
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
        Andrew,

        If you are using multiple sub-folders for the mapfiles, and the actual graphics files are mixed in amongst them, then that is an approach that works for you. Personally I like to keep the graphics files separate from the mapfiles but use sub-folders for both, according to geographic location and/or scale. I sometimes have 2 mapfiles accessing the same graphics file, depending on the end use, but this is rare.

        Being in the sea charts business, I also have different colours of the same graphic file, which of course requires me to have more than one mapfile linked to the same chart, which is available in different colours. You would be amazed how important colour is to some guys!

        I think George's problem is computer-knowledge-linked, and has little to do with Ozi. He will learn more about paths etc as he becomes more conversant with the PC and it's idiosyncracies.

        Understanding what Ozi is doing when you click on that all-important mapfile is half the battle!

        Dennis.
        > I find the word "map" a bit misleading, since Oziexplorer requires
        1) a graphics file containing the map or chart you wish to use for
        your navigation, and 2) a map file which contains all the data such
        as the calibration information, map features and map comments that
        you have added, and the projection and map datum information.

        > The mapfile can be easily opened as it is a simple text file,
        therefore Notepad will open it, in fact by using the Windows file
        association facility, I can open all my mapfiles by simply double-
        clicking the name .

        > You say you have deleted all the "maps". Does this mean the
        mapfiles, or does it mean the graphics files? If the mapfiles are
        deleted then Ozi cannot list them as they are not there. If it is
        the graphics files you have deleted, then when you ask Ozi to open a
        mapfile and it's associated graphics file, then it will not be able
        to find the graphics file as you have deleted it!

        > The simplest way to enable Ozi to work consistently is to
        initially put all your mapfiles into one sub-folder under the main
        Ozi root folder. This should be the "maps" folder which the Ozi
        setup program creates when you install Ozi for the first time.Then
        put your graphics files into a folder you have created, again under
        Ozi's root folder, say you call this folder "My Maps".

        > When you now click on Load Map File in the menu and select a map
        file, Ozi will, if it cannot find the graphics file associated with
        the map file you have chosen, cause a window to open which in effect
        states that as it does not know where the graphics file is, it
        invites you to search the hard disk for this file. You then have to
        go to the folder "My Maps", and select the file which should
        hopefully bear the same name as the map file you have selected and
        once this has been found, Ozi changes line 2 of the map file to the
        new path to this graphics file.

        > You can of course edit line 2 of the mapfile yourself in Notepad,
        together with a lot of other things, but as you state that computers
        are not your forte, I would advise letting Ozi do the work for you.

        > If the graphics files are in a format which Ozi cannot display, it
        will tell you so, although there are not too many graphics formats
        which Ozi cannot use.

        > I'm afraid I can't help ypu to understand computers! Having worked
        with and on them for the past 30 years it is a bit difficult to put
        myself in the position of understanding your problems, but at least
        the above should enable to to simplify the process of getting Ozi to
        find your maps.

        > Dennis.

        Dennis,

        I find a far easier way of Ozi performing without image/.map
        association issues is to just place all files in the same directory,
        namely the MAPS sub-directory. Adding a new sub-directory like MY
        MAPS to me is just confusing the new user and IMHO unwarranted. ;-)

        Suffice to say, i use a multiple sub-directory structure within the
        MAPS directory to sort "maps" into their type and then scale.
        However for beginners, i always suggest to them to keep it simple
        and use the default file locations to avoid issues generally found
        between understanding the difference between a .map file and the
        associated image etc.

        Andrew

      • Dennis Pogson
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
          Andrew,

          Your second post arrived on my newsreader alongside your first, so I will add that the reason I opted for the separate folder for my graphics files when I frist started using Ozi is that I used to leave these on the cd-rom, so it made sense at the time to copy them to a new folder on the hard drive.

          I should mention that handling over 800 charts of the entire globe, in different scales and colours, requires a little more tidiness than popping a few maps or charts into a single folder, but I do take your point that for a newcomer to Ozi, this is the simplest solution.

          It appears out friend George is now up and running, so obviously all this help from various sources has done the trick!

          Dennis.
> [...]

          use another seperate directory, different to the default directory
          can be confusing for new users. The name of "MAPS" does not
          necessarily convey to the new user that only .map files are stored
          here when using your structure. IMHO, MAPS and MY MAPS could mean
          the same thing, and as i have found with several Ozi users,
          confusing as to where the appropriate files should go.

          Suffice to say, i use a multi-level subdirectory to organise maps,
          including levels seperating map type, then scale etc. However for
          the basic user i believe we need to convey a simple structure,
          especially when issues such as the OP stated crop up. If they have
          all images and .map files in the same directory, then there should
          be no problems in "most" cases.

          Andrew
          (2nd post, don't know what happened to my first!)

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
            This is on a bit of a tangent but can somebody please refresh my
            memory on this?

            Sometimes, when going along, Ozi switches from one map to another.
            Normally it doesn't do that all the time you are on a particular map,
            but I think there is a rule that if another higher-resolution map is
            available for that area, it will automatically switch to it.

            I also use another program called Memory Map which does a similar
            thing.

            Is there a way to prevent this automatic switching?

            I have done it by simply having just one map folder and in there I
            keep the maps which I want to see, and no others.

            I am a private pilot and use Ozi as a backup GPS (have a panel mounted
            IFR GPS which is the man nav source) and sometimes find Ozi has
            switched to a road map!

            This Q is for both the windoze and pocket/pc versions, which I believe
            do work slightly differently.
          • Laurie Miles
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
              Dennis

              I spent an hour & a half on Skype with George last night. He has a
              reasonable knowledge of computers, but he will confess he is no
              genius. He is on a learning curve as he has recently upgraded from
              Windows 98 to XP. He will get more experience as he plays around
              with it.

              His biggest issue was understanding the difference between image
              files and calibration files. I have trained quite a few new
              Oziexplorer users in our 4WD club and foud that the major learning
              curve for them was understanding the link between these files. Once
              they get the hang of this issue, they seem to move along the
              learning curve quite well.

              I also showed him how to import an ecw image file into Oziexplorer.
              He handled it well, but now is trying import a file that cannot be
              imported.

              I went through a lot of these issues when I first started using Ozi
              in the late 90's. So I know it will be a slow but enjoyable learning
              process for George.

              This forum gives people like George the ability to ask questions and
              go away and try out the answers he receives. Some of the advice will
              be great and some not so great, but we manage to learn from all of
              it.

              George is heading off to the bush on Friday so is on a tight
              learning curve. He will not doubt spend many a quiet night around
              the camp fire cursing at his laptop while Trudi watches on with
              interest.

              I wish them well for there big outback adventure.

              Laurie

              <dennis_pogson@...> wrote:

              > Andrew,
              >
              > If you are using multiple sub-folders for the mapfiles, and the
              actual graphics files are mixed in amongst them, then that is an
              approach that works for you. Personally I like to keep the graphics
              files separate from the mapfiles but use sub-folders for both,
              according to geographic location and/or scale. I sometimes have 2
              mapfiles accessing the same graphics file, depending on the end use,
              but this is rare.

              > Being in the sea charts business, I also have different colours of
              the same graphic file, which of course requires me to have more than
              one mapfile linked to the same chart, which is available in
              different colours. You would be amazed how important colour is to
              some guys!

              > I think George's problem is computer-knowledge-linked, and has
              little to do with Ozi. He will learn more about paths etc as he
              becomes more conversant with the PC and it's idiosyncracies.

              > Understanding what Ozi is doing when you click on that all-
              important mapfile is half the battle!

              > Dennis.
              again!

> [...]
              > find your maps.
              > >

              > > Dennis.
              >
              > Dennis,
              >
              > I find a far easier way of Ozi performing without image/.map
              > association issues is to just place all files in the same
              directory,
              > namely the MAPS sub-directory. Adding a new sub-directory like
              MY
              > MAPS to me is just confusing the new user and IMHO
              unwarranted. ;-)

              > Suffice to say, i use a multiple sub-directory structure within
              the
              > MAPS directory to sort "maps" into their type and then scale.
              > However for beginners, i always suggest to them to keep it
              simple
              > and use the default file locations to avoid issues generally
              found
              > between understanding the difference between a .map file and the

              29/09/2006

            • Laurie Miles
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                I changed the title of this thread so it doesnt clash with George.

                Goto File, Configuration and select Moving Map. Untick the box next
                to Always check for more detailed map.

                Laurie

                --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Peter <peter-ozim@...> wrote:

                > This is on a bit of a tangent but can somebody please refresh my
                > memory on this?
                >
                > Sometimes, when going along, Ozi switches from one map to another.
                > Normally it doesn't do that all the time you are on a particular
                map,
                > but I think there is a rule that if another higher-resolution map
                is
                > available for that area, it will automatically switch to it.
                >
                > I also use another program called Memory Map which does a similar
                > thing.
                >
                > Is there a way to prevent this automatic switching?
                >
                > I have done it by simply having just one map folder and in there I
                > keep the maps which I want to see, and no others.
                >
                > I am a private pilot and use Ozi as a backup GPS (have a panel
                mounted
                > IFR GPS which is the man nav source) and sometimes find Ozi has
                > switched to a road map!
                >
                > This Q is for both the windoze and pocket/pc versions, which I
                believe
                > do work slightly differently.

              • pietpuk182002
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                  --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Peter <peter-ozim@...> wrote:

                  > Sometimes, when going along, Ozi switches from one map to another.
                  > Normally it doesn't do that all the time you are on a particular
                  > map, but I think there is a rule that if another higher-resolution
                  > map is available for that area, it will automatically switch to it.

                  > Is there a way to prevent this automatic switching?

                  Yes, go to File -> Configuration -> Moving Map ->
                  Always Check for More Detailed Map

                  > This Q is for both the windoze and pocket/pc versions, which I
                  > believe do work slightly differently.

                  For OziExplorerCE it is the second button from the right, at the top
                  of your screen. The one with the map symbol and the red plus sign.

                  I don't use Moving Map in the PC version, but on my PocketPC I have
                  this option permanently switched off.
                  And I have sent a suggestion to the author of OziExplorer to
                  implement some kind of priority numbers for maps, that can be used
                  by OziExplorer, OziCE and MapMerge.
                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006

                    >Goto File, Configuration and select Moving Map. Untick the box next
                    >to Always check for more detailed map.

                    I know about this but what happens if you are on a 1:500k map, then go
                    off the end of it, the only available map for the new area is 1:2M,
                    then you go off the end of that, and there are *two* maps available
                    for the next bit: 1:500k and 1:250k :)

                    I bet you that Ozi will now pick the 1:250k one.

                    There should be an option for selecting the map scale to use.
                  • Laurie Miles
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                      The red 'x' will help but only if you have your map files in different
                      folders. However, if there is no other map OZi will hunt for another
                      map and you are right, it will load the most detailed map.

                      You seem to want Ozi to bring up map window search so you can select
                      your map. Ozi doesnt do this. You have to do this manually.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "pietpuk182002" <amaryllis7@...>
                        wrote:

                        > And I have sent a suggestion to the author of OziExplorer to
                        > implement some kind of priority numbers for maps, that can be used
                        > by OziExplorer, OziCE and MapMerge.

                        I should add that I did receive a reply, saying that my
                        suggestion is noted.

                        Sorry about starting a duplicate thread on this same issue; it was
                        caused by the &#%$@ delay in this Forum.
                        Btw: does anybody know why some messages are not send by email? Most
                        messages are, but sometimes I miss one.
                      • Richard & Steph
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                          I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to matter to which group you subscribe
                          to either. Some times its good, others 24hr delays are the go or even worse
                          not sent at all. On some occasions, I get replies to messages that I haven't
                          even received my own post meaning some people get them & others don't!

                          Cheers
                          Richard
                          Junee

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                            Ozi DOES search if you right-click and click on "find map at cursor", all the mapfiles with the same co-ords will be listed in a window.

                            Also, if you use the 4-way arrow tool in the toolbar, it will list all maps to the north, south, east and west of the map you are using.

                            Surely one of these two options will suffice?

                            Dennis.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                              Dennis

                              I think he was looking for something that was automated.

                              I agree with you that there are quite a few options that give you
                              the answer you want, be it they are manual not automatic.

                              Laurie