Topo belgium maps

  • Pierre De Hanscutter
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 1, 2006
      hello everybody,

      I m back from vietnam, I m now in belgium and I m looking for good topo maps for ozi. Any ozi belgian user on the mailing list ?

      I would also to know if some of you know the cd made by belgium IGN ? Is it good ? Is it possible to export the maps to ozi ? Or at least to export jpeg maps that I can calibrate myself ....

      Pierre De Hanscutter

      Ps: I have new calibrated maps about vietnam... If someone is interested....
    • donnezmoi2001
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hi.

        eMule links:

        ed2k://|file|Top50%20Belgie%20Kabouterbond%20Stafkaarten%20Ozi.iso|482230272|596FA0221A4FFEC5840FD04BE7CC8E1A|/
        ed2k://|file|(Emap-Ozi-png-BE)%20TOP50%20Belgie%20(rebuilt%20kabouterbond)%20CD%201%20van%201.zip|416357758|1FECD7E5F128329411564CC4C5C6C41F|/
        ed2k://|file|[emap]%20Carto%20IGN%20Belgique%20-%20Cartes%20de%20Wallonie%20&%20Bruxelles.rar|534980696|C148D589E8C166CB4FBB83117208BC17|/

        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre De Hanscutter" <pierre@...>
        wrote:

        > hello everybody,
        >
        > I m back from vietnam, I m now in belgium and I m looking for good
        topo maps for ozi. Any ozi belgian user on the mailing list ?

        > I would also to know if some of you know the cd made by belgium IGN
        ? Is it good ? Is it possible to export the maps to ozi ? Or at least
        to export jpeg maps that I can calibrate myself ....

        > Pierre De Hanscutter
        >
        > Ps: I have new calibrated maps about vietnam... If someone is
        interested....

      • elnorstovac
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 1, 2006
          I am certainly interested in calibrated maps of Vietnam, especially
          for the north of Vietnam.

          Regards,
          Elnor

          wrote:

          > hello everybody,
          >
          > I m back from vietnam, I m now in belgium and I m looking for good
          topo maps for ozi. Any ozi belgian user on the mailing list ?

          > I would also to know if some of you know the cd made by belgium IGN
          ? Is it good ? Is it possible to export the maps to ozi ? Or at
          least to export jpeg maps that I can calibrate myself ....

          > Pierre De Hanscutter
          >
          > Ps: I have new calibrated maps about vietnam... If someone is
          interested....

        • Pierre De Hanscutter
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 2, 2006
            I put some hanoi maps there: http://vietnam.solidaritesjeunesses.org/map

            Pierre De Hanscutter, UNV
            Solidarités Jeunesses Vietnam
            NDVA & UNESCO-CCIVS Member
            No. 10D, Lane 28, Tay Ho Street
            Hanoi, Vietnam
            Tel: +84 (0)4 719 50 80
            Mobile: +(84) (0)91 303 34 71
            Email prof: sj.vietnam@...
            Email: pierre@... or pierre.dehanscutter@...
            Web: http://vietnam.solidaritesjeunesses.org
            MSN : pierre@...
            ICQ number: 336-224-801
            Yahoo Messenger: pierredh00
            Skype ID: pierredh

            ---------------------------

            wrote:

            > hello everybody,
            >
            > I m back from vietnam, I m now in belgium and I m looking for good
            topo maps for ozi. Any ozi belgian user on the mailing list ?

            > I would also to know if some of you know the cd made by belgium IGN
            ? Is it good ? Is it possible to export the maps to ozi ? Or at
            least to export jpeg maps that I can calibrate myself ....

            > Pierre De Hanscutter
            >
            > Ps: I have new calibrated maps about vietnam... If someone is
            interested....

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Peter
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 2, 2006
              Is there a conversion program? I read somewhere there is but a google
              doesn't dig anything out.
            • Brian - GPSOZ
              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 6, 2010
                I too am looking for something similar. Did a reply get posted and did I
                miss it?

                Cheers

                Brian

                Subject: [OziUsers-L] Converting Memory Map QCT files to any OziEx format?

                Is there a conversion program? I read somewhere there is but a google
                doesn't dig anything out.

              • Piet Vogelaar
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 6, 2010
                  Global Mapper can do it and export to many other formats
                  http://www.globalmapper.com/product/formats_raster.htm

                  Piet

                  > To: OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: brian@...
                  > Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 14:17:26 +1000
                  > Subject: [OziUsers-L] Converting Memory Map QCT files to any OziEx format?
                  >
                  > I too am looking for something similar. Did a reply get posted and did I
                  > miss it?
                  >

                  > Cheers
                  >
                  > Brian
                  >

                  > Subject: [OziUsers-L] Converting Memory Map QCT files to any OziEx format?
                  >

                  > Is there a conversion program? I read somewhere there is but a google
                  > doesn't dig anything out.

                • peterh337
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
                    That's really interesting and amazing... I know of a converter from QCT (it writes out a BMP file, but georeferencing information is not extracted so you have to re-cal the image manually) but not this one.

                    Recently I became aware of that public document which documents the QCT file format, and it was only a matter of time before somebody did a converter product openly.

                    The fact that this converter is public must be why Memory Map have moved to the QC3 encrypted format which is DRM'd - the map is locked to the machine used to display it.

                    This is a good time to boycott Memory Map. Unfortunately they have a monopoly on the 1:25k and 1:50k UK Ordnance Survey maps and the UK CAA aviation maps. Fortunately, last year's versions of the O/S maps are all over bit-torrent, and very little changes from one year to another...

                    --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Piet Vogelaar <pietvogelaar@...> wrote:

                    > Global Mapper can do it and export to many other formats
                    > http://www.globalmapper.com/product/formats_raster.htm
                    >
                    > Piet
                  • peterh337
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
                      Should all that Globalmapper is really expensive - too expensive for most people.
                    • Pom
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
                        But again like all good programs Globalmapper is freely available via
                        torrents, if you are into that.

                      • bgreeni@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 7, 2010
                          A lot of OSGB maps are now available on there web site for free.

                          <snip>

                          Fortunately, last year's versions of the O/S maps are all over bit-torrent, and very little changes from one year to another...
                        • flyingppg
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 8, 2010
                            I do this like this, using free tools + MM, to extract a high quality image which I can then calibrate within Ozi in the normal way.

                            As people have said, MM and MM maps can be downloaded through peer to peer sharing (torrent files) should you need to. See isohunt.com (Search for CAA Maps for the torrent file) and www.utorrent.com for the download client.

                            Install Adobe Acrobat (this should also install the pdf print driver). Modify the Acrobat pdf print driver to add a custom paper size, say, CAA Chart size 3000 x 2400 mm

                            Install Irfanview image editor and the Irfanview plugins extension.
                            Install GPL Ghostscript (adds pdf document support to Irfanview)

                            From Memory Map, open your map and print the whole thing at a resolution that suits you, I think I use 200 or 400 dpi then print to to the Adobe document printer, having selected the CAA Chart paper.

                            Open the PDF you just created in Irfanview, trim the image as necessary and then save it as a jpg. Calibrate this image in Ozi in the normal way.

                            I did try and find a jpg print driver, but could not, hence the little convoluted way to get your MM maps in jpg form.

                            If anyone has a set of current UK CAA 0.25 and 0.5 mil aeronautical charts you would like to share I would be very please to hear from you off list.

                            Rich

                            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Brian - GPSOZ" <brian@...> wrote:

                            > I too am looking for something similar. Did a reply get posted and did I
                            > miss it?
                            >

                            > Cheers
                            >
                            > Brian

                          • Brian - GPSOZ
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jul 8, 2010
                              I have used Global Mapper, export to ECW format, import in Ozi. No mucking
                              around with recalibration etc. This is a legit project and have no desire to
                              break copyright etc or use bittorrents to steal software and/or maps. Thanks
                              to those that suggested GM, excellent product.

                              Regards

                              brian

                              I do this like this, using free tools + MM, to extract a high quality image
                              which I can then calibrate within Ozi in the normal way.

                              As people have said, MM and MM maps can be downloaded through peer to peer
                              sharing (torrent files) should you need to. See isohunt.com (Search for CAA
                              Maps for the torrent file) and www.utorrent.com for the download client.

                              Install Adobe Acrobat (this should also install the pdf print driver).
                              Modify the Acrobat pdf print driver to add a custom paper size, say, CAA
                              Chart size 3000 x 2400 mm

                              Install Irfanview image editor and the Irfanview plugins extension.
                              Install GPL Ghostscript (adds pdf document support to Irfanview)

                              From Memory Map, open your map and print the whole thing at a resolution
                              that suits you, I think I use 200 or 400 dpi then print to to the Adobe
                              document printer, having selected the CAA Chart paper.

                              --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com> ,
                              "Brian - GPSOZ" <brian@...> wrote:

                              > I too am looking for something similar. Did a reply get posted and did I
                              > miss it?
                              >

                              > Cheers
                              >
                              > Brian

                              database 5262 (20100708) __________

                              http://www.eset.com

                            • Bert
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jul 8, 2010
                                Regarding "copyright", remember that nobody can restrict you from
                                converting maps you legally bought to other formats and use them. Most
                                countries today have legislation in place that explicit permits you to
                                do just that, for instance (the most common example), convert your music
                                CD to MP3 for your pocket player. This invalidates any EULA. It is "user
                                rights", you paid for something and you have the right to enjoy it as
                                you se fit and any attempts to restrict you is in principle illegal.
                                There is a recent intersting court case in the US too around this. A
                                bunch of college kids had pooled their money to buy an expensive music
                                CD they each could not afford, converted it to MP3, and everyone had put
                                a copy on their pocket player. The Copyright Mafia sued, but the judge
                                threw out the case as he viewed it as being the same thing as they all
                                had gathered in the same room listening to the CD. Intereting
                                development, especially as the Copyright Mafia never appealed the
                                decision, obviously afraid it would set a precedent.

                                On 09-Jul-2010 7:55 AM, Brian - GPSOZ wrote:

                                > I have used Global Mapper, export to ECW format, import in Ozi. No mucking
                                > around with recalibration etc. This is a legit project and have no
                                > desire to
                                > break copyright etc or use bittorrents to steal software and/or maps.
                                > Thanks
                                > to those that suggested GM, excellent product.
                                >
                                > Regards
                                >
                                > brian
                                >
                                > From: OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>

                              • John Tserkezis
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jul 8, 2010
                                  Bert wrote:

                                  ... it appears you need another lesson...

                                  > Regarding "copyright", remember that nobody can restrict you from
                                  > converting maps you legally bought to other formats and use them.

                                  Yes they can, and yes they do, but that said, it's difficult at best to
                                  police it - but that doesn't make it legal or prevent the vendor from
                                  doing anything about it if they DO find out.

                                  > Most
                                  > countries today have legislation in place that explicit permits you to
                                  > do just that, for instance (the most common example), convert your music
                                  > CD to MP3 for your pocket player.

                                  Until recently here in Australia, that wasn't true at all. You were
                                  not permitted at all, no ifs or buts, to copy television or radio
                                  streams, regardless of the format of the copy.

                                  As of more recently, this has been relaxed to allow the recording to TV
                                  programs, for later viewing (not indefinite storage), and for converting
                                  audio CDs into a format your portable player can deal with.

                                  In any case, I'm not aware this was actually policed at all.

                                  > This invalidates any EULA.

                                  Not quite. An EULA cannot demand something contrary to law in that
                                  country. For instance, if the local law allows original media software
                                  products to be duplicated for backup purposes, but the EULA doesn't,
                                  then you just ignore that bit. Ditto for warranty and 'fit for purpose'
                                  laws as applicable.

                                  That doesn't magically invalidate the entire EULA. Only the very
                                  specific parts of it, as applicable. If the EULA says you need to jump
                                  up and down on one leg while using the software, and that does not
                                  contrast with any local OH&S laws, then they're free to demand you
                                  actually DO that.

                                  > It is "user rights", you paid for something and you have the right to
                                  > enjoy it as you se fit and any attempts to restrict you is in principle
                                  > illegal.

                                  That's not a law. Never was, and I'd hazard a guess it never will be.
                                  I suppose there are some products out there where the EULA allows this,
                                  and that's up to the vendor. As long as it doesn't run contrary to the
                                  law in the country of sale, anything goes.

                                  > There is a recent intersting court case in the US too around this. A
                                  > bunch of college kids had pooled their money to buy an expensive music
                                  > CD they each could not afford, converted it to MP3, and everyone had put
                                  > a copy on their pocket player. The Copyright Mafia sued, but the judge
                                  > threw out the case as he viewed it as being the same thing as they all
                                  > had gathered in the same room listening to the CD.

                                  That's not allowed either. Unless you can PROVE a "bunch" was small
                                  enough to be passed off as too small for a public performance in court.

                                  My FM radio licence analogy explains it:

                                  If a roomful of people go out and buy FM radios, they can.
                                  If said roomful of people listen to their own radios, they can.
                                  So far, it's all done royalty free and they pay only for the radio.
                                  However, if ONE person turns up their royalty free radio so EVERYONE in
                                  the room can hear it, that's a public performance and is NOT allowed
                                  without the appropriate rights.

                                  That is, the "performance" has strings attached. It is free, provided
                                  the audience is limited to a small *private* group. Or more
                                  importantly, how you prove that definition in court...

                                  Likewise, did a showing here of a film that was banned due a rating
                                  issue. (if a film doesn't fit one of our rating slots, it can't be
                                  showed publicly).
                                  In a method of protest, someone independently imports the DVD, sets up
                                  a small hall, shows on a projector, and invites a large part of the
                                  neighbourhood and friends to see it.

                                  They were shut down part way though, not because it was unrated, but
                                  because they were publicly showing a film without the appropriate rights
                                  (which they could never get on a film that's unrated).

                                  > Intereting
                                  > development, especially as the Copyright Mafia never appealed the
                                  > decision, obviously afraid it would set a precedent.

                                  I don't buy that either.

                                  My point is, the law is an ass. But that doesn't give you the right to
                                  pretend it doesn't apply and then make up your own rules on what you can do.
                                • Bert
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 8, 2010
                                    It is amazing to see how just about every IT enthusiast instantly turn
                                    to be an expert legal adviser and tutor as soon as you bring this up.

                                    The vendor has in most cases no possibility to do anything, because he
                                    has no legal leg to stand on. It is permitted by law. That is why there
                                    is no "policing".

                                    Partly you are right though. Many vendors use the same methods as the
                                    gangsters in the 30's US, threats and intimidation. They send you a
                                    threatening letter of court action, implying that it will cost you tens
                                    of thousands of dollars to defend yourself in court, even if they
                                    already know they will loose the court case. You still have to pay your
                                    lawyers and take time out from work. To them the money is worth it as a
                                    threat to others. It is like the Goodfather left a horse head in the
                                    guys bed.

                                    It is called time and media shift, and is not restricted to TV programs.
                                    You can safely change around, including maps, and yes, you are right, it
                                    has recently been written into law in Australia (and many other places)
                                    to firmly close down the attempts by some vendors to find alternative
                                    clever and creative ways to have it all their way and pluck buyers on
                                    money. It is one part of the fast developing user rights movement world
                                    wide.

                                    Your are right, it does not invalidate the entire EULA in principle, but
                                    the vendors try their best to bluff anyone with threats. Know your
                                    rights. In fact the EULA is not a legally binding contract at all but a
                                    one sided declaration of " we want", a basic legal principle, so basic
                                    that it is not even written into law, is that both parties to any
                                    agreement must be able to have a say, to negotiate, you can't use a
                                    take-or-leave it approach to get a binding contact. "Agreement", the
                                    word i itself, is a two way thing, not a take it or leave it one sided
                                    declaration.

                                    All cases I have seen so far is about copyright infringement, not breach
                                    of contract. You don't need any contract to bring charges for
                                    infringement. It is a distinct difference there.

                                    You are also right that you can not just buy a CD, music or video, and
                                    show it publicly, you need to, for instance, start a club and show it
                                    privately. You need to understand the difference between "private" and
                                    "public" here. I accept it is not easy for an amateur law person. Yes,
                                    the US college kids were a small bunch that all knew each other. The
                                    "user rights" have become something very strong in most part of the
                                    world recently. Especially in EU. It is written into law, make no
                                    mistake about it. Warranty is not there to be a "warranty" for your
                                    benefit at all, but to restrict as far as possible the vendors liability
                                    under consumer laws. There are many cases where warranties have been
                                    struck down as outside the law.

                                    Have you heard the funny/not so funny story, a guy bought a car in
                                    December, after a month it broke down and he wanted repaired under the
                                    12 months warranty. The rep told him that though is was a 12 months
                                    warranty, unfortunately their policy was that January was not one of
                                    those12 month because vacation use meant unreasonably heavy use of the
                                    car. Another real world case is that a car maker copyrighted their
                                    exhaust system claiming it had artistic value and then tried to stop
                                    anyone from "pirating" it, of course their price was very high.

                                    Last year Microsoft was fined billions in EU for just such illegal
                                    restrictive activities, and Apple backed down before a test court case
                                    in Norway. They had illegally under consumer rights legislation
                                    restricted user rights to material.

                                    Know your rights, and use them. Don't fight your own and others rights,
                                    use them.

                                    I got all my lessons needed in law school, but thank you anyway.

                                    On 09-Jul-2010 12:52 PM, John Tserkezis wrote:

> [...]
                                    >
                                    > Likewise, did a showing here of a film that was banned due a rating
                                    > issue. (if a film doesn't fit one of our rating slots, it can't be
                                    > showed publicly).
                                    > In a method of protest, someone independently imports the DVD, sets up
                                    > a small hall, shows on a projector, and invites a large part of the
                                    > neighbourhood and friends to see it.
                                    >
                                    > They were shut down part way though, not because it was unrated, but
                                    > because they were publicly showing a film without the appropriate rights
                                    > (which they could never get on a film that's unrated).
                                    >
                                    > > Intereting
                                    > > development, especially as the Copyright Mafia never appealed the
                                    > > decision, obviously afraid it would set a precedent.
                                    >
                                    > I don't buy that either.
                                    >
                                    > My point is, the law is an ass. But that doesn't give you the right to
                                    > pretend it doesn't apply and then make up your own rules on what you

                                  • peterh337
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                      The problem is that as of 2010 all this will stop working, because MM are using a new encrypted map format, which locks each map to the specific hardware.

                                      The only way to get the MM/CAA charts to Ozi will be to scan them on a big scanner.

                                      I see somebody has already done this on the southern 500k chart... it was on emule recently.

                                      MM has shot itself in the foot on this. They used to sell the 500k charts for about £20 each which was good value. You could install it at home, at work, on a laptop, etc, so flight planning could be done anywhere. This is no longer possible and they are sure to lose a lot of sales.

                                      The old way (scanning to a lot of A4 pieces and joining them) gives a poor result. I have tried to calibrate some topo maps of the Adriatic and found I could not get the grid to line up no matter what I did, and eventually realised they were maps of joined-up bits and the joining was less than perfect. There is a lot of such maps around and I suspect most of them are not calibrated all that well - it is easy to be 1km out on a 1:100k road map for example.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                        Posted by: "flyingppg" flyingppg@...   flyingppg

                                        > From Memory Map, open your map and print the whole thing at a resolution that suits you,

                                        <snip>

                                        That's a lot of effort snipped!

                                        If you have MM and OziEx and you are using 1:25,000 maps, then you
                                        have all you need.

                                        Load a map into MM, then zoom fully out, to display the whole of the map.

                                        Then use 'Map ¦ Image export...' and save as a .BMP.

                                        Then Open OziEx and 'File ¦ Load and Calibrate Map Image' and select
                                        the .BMP file. Calibrate as usual.

                                        I learnt about this from a member of this list.

                                        What I don't understand is why MM greys-out the export menu option for
                                        all other maps and charts (CAA and marine).

                                        Reg
                                      • Alf Hind
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                          On 09/07/2010 14:49, Reg wrote:

                                          > Posted by: "flyingppg" flyingppg@...
                                          > <mailto:flyingppg%40yahoo.co.uk> flyingppg
                                          >
                                          > > From Memory Map, open your map and print the whole thing at a
                                          > resolution that suits you,
                                          >
                                          > <snip>
                                          >
                                          > That's a lot of effort snipped!
                                          >
                                          > If you have MM and OziEx and you are using 1:25,000 maps, then you
                                          > have all you need.
                                          >
                                          > Load a map into MM, then zoom fully out, to display the whole of the map.
                                          >
                                          > Then use 'Map ¦ Image export...' and save as a .BMP.
                                          >
                                          > Then Open OziEx and 'File ¦ Load and Calibrate Map Image' and select
                                          > the .BMP file. Calibrate as usual.
                                          >
                                          > I learnt about this from a member of this list.
                                          >
                                          > What I don't understand is why MM greys-out the export menu option for
                                          > all other maps and charts (CAA and marine).
                                          >
                                          > Reg

                                          Memory Map greys-out the export option when the map is subject to
                                          copyright restrictions. If your 1:25k maps are from OS they would
                                          normally have a copyright notice in the file.

                                          Alf

                                        • peterh337
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                              The well known work-around for that is to patch the MM executable and change e.g. the word "copyright" to "copylight" and then the copyright message in the map file never matches.

                                              However, I still don't think there is a way to print a whole map, at its *full* resolution, to a printer. If one could do that, one would use a TIFF printer driver and it would be trivial to convert a MM map into a TIFF and then (using img2ozf) to OZF2, and then calibrate it.

                                              Does anybody know of a TIFF printer driver which can print to A0 (or bigger) paper?

                                              > Memory Map greys-out the export option when the map is subject to
                                              > copyright restrictions. If your 1:25k maps are from OS they would
                                              > normally have a copyright notice in the file.
                                              >
                                              > Alf

                                            • flyingppg
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                I agree, and if the CAA would make their charts freely available in some form of open format, then I guess it would not be necessary. After all, this is safety information that the UK tax payers have already paid for and as a UK tax payer, I object to paying again for, or being forced to use the rather lame MM application. There are two sides to this particular argument on stealing.

                                                But before you go taking the moral high ground, if you are using GM to extract maps from MM QCT files, you are already breaching copyright.

                                                Rich.

                                                --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Brian - GPSOZ" <brian@...> wrote:

                                                > I have used Global Mapper, export to ECW format, import in Ozi. No mucking
                                                > around with recalibration etc. This is a legit project and have no desire to
                                                > break copyright etc or use bittorrents to steal software and/or maps. Thanks
                                                > to those that suggested GM, excellent product.
                                                >

                                                > Regards
                                                >
                                                > brian

                                              • flyingppg
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                  Absolutely it does, and various forms of protest have legitimately brought about changes in the law that were wrong, even evil.

                                                  Your argument would have you throwing Jews into gas chambers in Nazi Germany, acquiescing to segregation and apartheid in the US and SA, chemical castration for homosexuals, women without the vote in the UK and the so called Stolen Generations in Australia.

                                                  Your conscience is a perfectly legitimate reason to break the law and do the right thing/make a protest, and always has been, but perhaps this is a debate for another forum.

                                                  Rich

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                    The print map image to pdf printer method should still work I think, as long as someone buys 1 official copy. There has yet to be a form of DRM that hasn't been cracked by someone too.

                                                    You can also scan a whole chart on a larger format scanner, having found a company with one or a distributor that sells them. Most companies have a sympathetic pilot in them somewhere.

                                                    Rich

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                      I think you answered your own question, the Image Export is greyed out in MM.

                                                      Rich

                                                      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Reg <lists.reg@...> wrote:

                                                      > Posted by: "flyingppg" flyingppg@...   flyingppg

                                                      <also snipping!>

                                                      > Then use 'Map ¦ Image export...' and save as a .BMP.

                                                      <snip again>

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                        I just had a look at all of my printer drivers and I can define a custom paper size of whatever I like. I did find out that if you make it too big, your PC gives up, presumably having run out of memory or something, so I choose an image size that fits onto 3m x 2.4m paper, which is a pretty big piece of paper. Can you direct me to a free downloadable tiff printer driver and I'll give it a go. You are quite right, having found the right printer driver (I don't have a tiff driver) it should then be trivial.

                                                        Not sure what you mean by *full resolution* as the maps are possibly vector and not raster images in MM. You can specify your output resolution in MM, and I find 400dpi is better than my eyes these days. :-)

                                                        Rich

                                                        --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "peterh337" <peter226@...> wrote:

                                                        > The well known work-around for that is to patch the MM executable and change e.g. the word "copyright" to "copylight" and then the copyright message in the map file never matches.
                                                        >
                                                        > However, I still don't think there is a way to print a whole map, at its *full* resolution, to a printer. If one could do that, one would use a TIFF printer driver and it would be trivial to convert a MM map into a TIFF and then (using img2ozf) to OZF2, and then calibrate it.
                                                        >
                                                        > Does anybody know of a TIFF printer driver which can print to A0 (or bigger) paper?
                                                        >

                                                        > > Memory Map greys-out the export option when the map is subject to
                                                        > > copyright restrictions. If your 1:25k maps are from OS they would
                                                        > > normally have a copyright notice in the file.
                                                        > >
                                                        > > Alf

                                                      • Bert
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                          Guys, lets return to reality. I'll try again to explain what "Copyright"
                                                          is. I know this is emotional.

                                                          Copyright simply means that the owner of something IP has the sole right
                                                          to make copies of that something to sell, distribute, make available, or
                                                          give away as he see fit.

                                                          Copyright does *not* mean he has the right to put restrictions on what
                                                          the user does with it once he bought it, as long as the user uses it
                                                          himself in some form. I know they are trying to push the boundaries all
                                                          the time to get their sticky fingers into your wallet, but that is the
                                                          way it is.

                                                          This does not mean that the buyer in turn has any right to make copies
                                                          himself to sell, distribute, make available, or give away en mass, but
                                                          he can do just about anything else, including converting it to other
                                                          formats, use it for wall decorations, or throwing it in the rubbish bin.
                                                          A map is bought to navigate with, I have difficult to find any other
                                                          use, and the buyer has the unfettered right to use it for just that as
                                                          he see fit. The vendor has no rights to restrict the buyer by only
                                                          allowing it to be used for instance certain times, or for certain places
                                                          on the map, or on certain equipment, but I know they are trying hard.

                                                          If you buy a house, the builder has no right to use the house, and if
                                                          you buy a car the maker has no right to dictate where you travel, with
                                                          who, at what time, with what load in the car, or if you alter or rebuild
                                                          the car. He can only object to if you copy the car and sell, give away
                                                          or make the copies available.

                                                          It is not a matter of protest, but of the buyers right. You pay for
                                                          something, it is your right to enjoy it. The recording mafia once fought
                                                          vigorously to make the MP3 format illegal just like drugs, to ban
                                                          general digital players (you had to buy theirs), they tried to stop the
                                                          digital CD, they tried to decide where you could watch your DVD
                                                          (regional restrictions), and they are still fighting all this. I have
                                                          been personally involved once in discussion with major copyright holders
                                                          to implement technology so that if you first pay your TV license fees,
                                                          you watch a rugby match, and ten minutes before it ends the screen goes
                                                          blank with a message, "Pay us $30 to watch the end", or you leave your
                                                          home in Melbourne to drive to Sydney, at the city boundary your car CD
                                                          player, which must be used to play this music providers CD's and has GPS
                                                          built in, stops and you get the message that your license to listen to
                                                          the CD is only valid for Melbourne, pay us more, and this is repeated
                                                          when you enter Sydney.

                                                          Know your rights and guard them vigorously. Your only true weapon is to
                                                          hit their profits, and the blogs, internet, and web papers is the means.
                                                          When Sony sued a teenager for copyright breach, and got away with it,
                                                          the subsequent internet boycott cost them millions. When Sony place a
                                                          malicious root-kit on computers to control what CD were played, it also
                                                          cost them millions. Learn from it.

                                                          Go for it.

                                                          On 10-Jul-2010 3:22 AM, flyingppg wrote:

                                                          > Absolutely it does, and various forms of protest have legitimately
                                                          > brought about changes in the law that were wrong, even evil.
                                                          >
                                                          > Your argument would have you throwing Jews into gas chambers in Nazi
                                                          > Germany, acquiescing to segregation and apartheid in the US and SA,
                                                          > chemical castration for homosexuals, women without the vote in the UK
                                                          > and the so called Stolen Generations in Australia.
                                                          >
                                                          > Your conscience is a perfectly legitimate reason to break the law and
                                                          > do the right thing/make a protest, and always has been, but perhaps
                                                          > this is a debate for another forum.
                                                          >
                                                          > Rich
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
                                                          > <mailto:OziUsers-L%40yahoogroups.com>, John Tserkezis <jt@...> wrote:
                                                          > >

                                                          > > My point is, the law is an ass. But that doesn't give you the right to
                                                          > > pretend it doesn't apply and then make up your own rules on what you
                                                          > can do.

                                                        • David Read
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jul 9, 2010
                                                            HEY BERT -- STOP DIGGING!!!

                                                            We will now return you back to our regular program. ---

                                                            Cheers
                                                            Dave
                                                            South Oz

                                                            On 7/10/2010 10:38 AM, Bert dribbled (AGAIN):