Re: [OziUsers-L] Re: how to smooth tracks

  • Piet Vogelaar
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
      >From: Arthur Morgan <arthurmorgan2@...>
      >To: OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [OziUsers-L] Re: how to smooth tracks
      >Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 07:31:59 +0200
      >
      >rwcx183 wrote:
      >

      > > Lou,
      > >
      > > Your math skills notwithstanding, no matter how many hours it may be,
      > > it shouldn't be such a big deal to save the track occasionally and
      > > start a new one. There are many very capable GPS receivers with
      > > virtually unlimited track storage, by virtue of being able to save
      > > user data to SD card. It's only the lame Garmin GPS receivers
      > > that "simplify" the tracks when saving. Get a real GPS receiver and
      > > then this whole discussion becomes moot.
      > >
      > > J.G.
      > >

      >J.G., All,
      >Has anyone any experience with a "Blue Logger"?
      >Sounds like a neat, cheap way of logging tracks and then down loading
      >onto a computer - huge number of track points can be stored. No screen,
      >only Bluetooth connection so there are no extra costs.
      >
      >http://www.bluelogger.com/prod_bluelogger.asp
      >

      >--
      >Arthur Morgan

      Well, log into the forum of Delorme:
      http://forums.delorme.com/
      and look for the subjects en questions concerning this Blue Logger.
      You will see: many questions, no answers.

      Piet
    • James Busby
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
        The TOPOFUSION idea seems the least expensive of the lot, however I
        haven't tried it. Like I said, I already had the other tools and am
        quite familiar with them.

        Actually, when AutoCAD exports the native DWG to ESRI Shape Files, it
        loses the arc segments of the spline. Therefore, all of the tracks I
        have re-imported into OZI have a ton of evenly spaced points. I
        haven't really thought how AutoCAD decides to choose the spacing
        interval, on my maps of some 2.5k to 5k trails it is about 4m.

        The track files are editable in OZI, but like I said before, they are
        lacking the altitude and the time of acquisition. It basically creates
        an ordered list of coordinates.

        I tend to find these tracks cumbersome, therefore I merge the tracks
        into the base image after I feel comfortable with the accuracy of the
        trail location.

        -J. Busby
        Texas
      • ambunge2000
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
          Judging from the screenshots in the website, this software seems to do
          exactly what I need.

          I'll try it as soon as I can.

          Thanks BobM!

          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Bob Maloney <bobmaloney@...> wrote:

          > A cheaper way which will probably work is to use the spline function
          > in TOPOFUSION (www.topofusion.com).
          >
          > Export the track from OZI as a GPX file, open the GPX file in
          > TOPOFUSION, use the TOPOFUSION spline function to add points to the
          > track, import the revised track (GPX) to OZI, save the resulting track
          > as a OZI track file (plt).
          >
          > I have not tried it but am fairly sure it will work. I am not sure
          > whether the spline function works in the gree download of TOPOFUSION but
          > I expect that it does. If not to register TOPOFUSION is $40.
          >
          > BobM
          >
          > > Message: 2
          > > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:13:41 -0000
          > > From: "James Busby" <busbylists@...>
          > > Subject: Re: how to smooth tracks
          > >

          > >>Is there a way to smooth sharp corners (turns) of existing tracks? I
          > >>have a set of tracks which have turns defined with very few points.
          > >>

          > > .snip.
          > >
          > >>Any idea if such a function exists in any software?
          > >>
          > >>Thanks.
          > >>

          > > There is a way, but it if you don't already have the software,
          > > getting it can be expensive. Additionally, this technique will
          > > forever blast a lot of track data Ozi records like altitude and time
          > > acquired. However it does make nice smooth lines for map-making.
          > >
          > > Export the track from OZI to an ESRI Shape File.
          > >
          > > Import the Shape File as a Polyline into AutoCAD (you need a version
          > > like Map or Land Development which will import/export ESRI Shape
          > > Files).
          > >
          > > I use the AutoCAD Map "clean up drawing" functions to remove
          > > the "Star Clusters" which can occur when you stop and other random
          > > junk. However, since AutoCAD is designed for drawing, you could do
          > > all of this by hand very quickly, unlike the less mature editing
          > > tools in Ozi.
          > >
          > > Join all track segments into one Polyline, and then Spline the
          > > Polyline, creating a nice smooth fit curve.
          > >
          > > Export the spline back out to ESRI Shape File.
          > >
          > > Import the ESRI Shape File into Ozi as a track.
          > >

          > > I have been doing this with Ozi data for about a year as I am working
          > > on a project to map all of the rugged hiking trails at a Remote Boy
          > > Scout Camp in the Mountains of West Texas. Of course it doesn't hurt
          > > that I'm an Engineering/Surveying Professional and already have all
          > > these tools at my disposal.
          > >
          > > I am not sure if some of the "Free" or Open Source CAD programs could
          > > do the same, but they might.
          > >
          > > -J. Busby
          > > Midland, Texas

        • ambunge2000
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
            By the way, how do you export a track to GPX from OZI? I can't seem to
            find it.
            At first glance I don't see any common formats between the two
            programs. I'll investigate a bit more.

          • roland
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
              Choose File in the menu
              Choose Save
              then the last but one option "export to gpx....Wps and tracks"

              Version 3.95.4.k

              _____

              By the way, how do you export a track to GPX from OZI? I can't seem to
              find it.
              At first glance I don't see any common formats between the two
              programs. I'll investigate a bit more.

              --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, Bob Maloney <bobmaloney@...> wrote:

              > A cheaper way which will probably work is to use the spline function
              > in TOPOFUSION (www.topofusion.com).
              >
              > Export the track from OZI as a GPX file, open the GPX file in
              > TOPOFUSION, use the TOPOFUSION spline function to add points to the
              > track, import the revised track (GPX) to OZI, save the resulting track
              > as a OZI track file (plt).
              >
              > I have not tried it but am fairly sure it will work. I am not sure
              > whether the spline function works in the gree download of TOPOFUSION but
              > I expect that it does. If not to register TOPOFUSION is $40.
              >
              > BobM
              >
              > > Message: 2
              > > Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:13:41 -0000
              > > From: "James Busby" <busbylists@...>
              > > Subject: Re: how to smooth tracks
              > >

              > >>Is there a way to smooth sharp corners (turns) of existing tracks? I
              > >>have a set of tracks which have turns defined with very few points.
              > >>

              > > .snip.
              > >
              > >>Any idea if such a function exists in any software?
              > >>
              > >>Thanks.
              > >>

              > > There is a way, but it if you don't already have the software,
              > > getting it can be expensive. Additionally, this technique will
              > > forever blast a lot of track data Ozi records like altitude and time
              > > acquired. However it does make nice smooth lines for map-making.
              > >
              > > Export the track from OZI to an ESRI Shape File.
              > >
              > > Import the Shape File as a Polyline into AutoCAD (you need a version
              > > like Map or Land Development which will import/export ESRI Shape
              > > Files).
              > >
              > > I use the AutoCAD Map "clean up drawing" functions to remove
              > > the "Star Clusters" which can occur when you stop and other random
              > > junk. However, since AutoCAD is designed for drawing, you could do
              > > all of this by hand very quickly, unlike the less mature editing
              > > tools in Ozi.
              > >
              > > Join all track segments into one Polyline, and then Spline the
              > > Polyline, creating a nice smooth fit curve.
              > >
              > > Export the spline back out to ESRI Shape File.
              > >
              > > Import the ESRI Shape File into Ozi as a track.
              > >

              > > I have been doing this with Ozi data for about a year as I am working
              > > on a project to map all of the rugged hiking trails at a Remote Boy
              > > Scout Camp in the Mountains of West Texas. Of course it doesn't hurt
              > > that I'm an Engineering/Surveying Professional and already have all
              > > these tools at my disposal.
              > >
              > > I am not sure if some of the "Free" or Open Source CAD programs could
              > > do the same, but they might.
              > >
              > > -J. Busby
              > > Midland, Texas

              Affiliate
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Affiliate+program+software&w1=Affiliate
              +program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+progr
              am&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Softwar
              e+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=9KaWuy6FKnRHLoW5F2y04Q> program
              software Construction
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Construction+software+program&w1=Affili
              ate+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+pr
              ogram&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Soft
              ware+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=F3LkPjhe1MkJ4Fq3QQZwUA> software
              program Medical
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Medical+software+program&w1=Affiliate+p
              rogram+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+program
              &w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Software+
              development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=AwyI7nQBuf_OuJksGRgsXA> software program

              Accounting
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Accounting+software+program&w1=Affiliat
              e+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+prog
              ram&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Softwa
              re+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=VzCxLFHTZiHmXsWEP_djZQ> software
              program Estate
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Estate+program+real+software&w1=Affilia
              te+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+pro
              gram&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Softw
              are+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=lMTrEr4oqbyRycvw8--w5g> program real
              software Software
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Software+development+program&w1=Affilia
              te+program+software&w2=Construction+software+program&w3=Medical+software+pro
              gram&w4=Accounting+software+program&w5=Estate+program+real+software&w6=Softw
              are+development+program&c=6&s=198&.sig=DOR5xh8pu5s-DHxW2MQDrA> development
              program

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "OziUsers-L
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L> " on the web.

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              _____

            • ambunge2000
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                My 3.95.3f does not have that option. I'll have to upgrade.
                Thanks for pointing it out.

                --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "roland" <roland.vanbrabant@...> wrote:

                > Choose File in the menu
                > Choose Save
                > then the last but one option "export to gpx....Wps and tracks"
                >
                > Version 3.95.4.k
                >
                > _____

              • vincent gardiner
                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                  G'day James,

                  > The TOPOFUSION idea seems the least expensive of the lot, however I
                  > The track files are editable in OZI, but like I said before, they are
                  > lacking the altitude and the time of acquisition. It basically creates
                  > an ordered list of coordinates.

                  If you have a look at the track replay you will find the altitude is
                  recorded. The time is missing though.

                  > I tend to find these tracks cumbersome, therefore I merge the tracks
                  > into the base image after I feel comfortable with the accuracy of the
                  > trail location.
                  >
                  > -J. Busby
                  > Texas

                  Vince G