What PDA to use with my Garmin ETrex

  • David Westley
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi Folks,
      Whilst I don't often post myself, I try to read (or at least scan through)
      most postings and the information I've picked up has been very worthwhile.
      The reason for this post is simple. I've decided, I'll take the extra step
      and purchase a PDA to use with my Garmin Etrex (the yellow model). Before I
      reach for my wallet, I'd like to get an idea from other Ozi users what types
      of PDA's to look for and steer clear of? I'm in Australia, although I guess
      I can purchase the PDA itself from anywhere.

      I'll be using the gear generally in one of two ways.
      Firstly I'll want to set up the PDA and the GPS in my car for general
      navigation (RAM Mount, OziCE, AUSLIG 250k maps etc).
      Secondly, I want to be able to carry both the GPS and PDA while walking and
      setting Rogaine courses (a Rogaine is a bit like Orienteering). Therefore
      the PDA needs to be reasonably tough with good battery life. It also needs
      plenty of storage to take the maps I create for each event along with all
      the info I'll add while I'm setting the map up.

      I'd also like to be able to one day dispense with the PDA to GPS cable, so
      I'd be interested in anyone's experience with Bluetooth GPS & PDA usage.
      Does it work well, does it 'eat batteries', is it worth the money and so on.
      I'm quite happy with everything my trusty old Etrex can do so I'm not really
      wanting to upgrade just yet (although given enough incentive, I'll do it in
      a flash).

      Any comments, particularly from anyone who has a good or bad story to relate
      would be very much appreciated.
      Regards,
      David.

    • Will Kohlen
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
        Hi David,
        I was in the same position as yourself, I had a little Etrex and wanted to
        get a PDA to connect to. I ended up getting a Toshiba e740, because they are
        relatively cheap to buy on ebay. I matched it to a cable I got from Brian at
        gpsoz. All worked well enough but there were a few setbacks. Firstly it was
        a bit of a nuisance having all that cabling and secondly having the Etrex on
        the dashboard where it tended to slide about and not get the best signal
        from the satellites. In the end I purchased a GlobalSat gps that fitted into
        my Compact Flash slot on the PDA. This gave a neat compact solution and had
        the extra bonus of being able to plug a external magnetic antenna, which
        never lost contact with the satellites. Also compact enough to fit into my
        top pocket when hiking. If you want to spend more money, then I would
        probably go for the new Compact Flash GlobalSat BC-337, or the new BlueTooth
        GlobalSat BT 338. ( can be a little tricky to set up) They seem to have
        incredible signal sensitivity and so, do not need an external antenna.
        Either way I would recommend getting a PDA that has both SD and CF slots,
        maybe a HP or Asus. But I am sure you will many other recommendations.
        Happing hunting,
        Will

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Julian Monfries
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
          David,

          I am a bushwalker and found the iPAQ 5550 very good with CF card GPS, using
          a Compact Flash expansion pack with battery I get over 8 hours of operation.

          SD card for maps with 1Gb card I can get all of South Australia seamless
          topos plus others.

          Don't think the 5550 is made now but must be an alternative.

          Had the Garmin attached by wires however kept on getting them caught on
          things.

          Julian Monfries
          Lockleys SA 5032
[...]

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Fair
          play? Video games influencing politics. Click and talk back!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
        • rogerstuartking
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
            I use a hp4150, with a etrex summit & a bluetooth transmitter from
            http://pc-mobile.net/bta.htm using it in my landrover and also for
            hillwalking in UK & Iceland. seems to fit the bill and none seem to be
            heavy on batteries

            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Julian Monfries" <julsue@b...> wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > I am a bushwalker and found the iPAQ 5550 very good with CF card
            GPS, using
            > a Compact Flash expansion pack with battery I get over 8 hours of
            operation.

            > SD card for maps with 1Gb card I can get all of South Australia seamless
            > topos plus others.
            >
            > Don't think the 5550 is made now but must be an alternative.
            >
            > Had the Garmin attached by wires however kept on getting them caught on
            > things.
            >

            > Julian Monfries
            > Lockleys SA 5032

          • Ralph
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
              I have a navman PIN just load CE as well no cables at all and you can
              use the navman in the city for navigation it came with a window mount
              and cables Ozi is much better than the navman software about $900 at
              dick smith
              regards
              Ralph

              David Westley wrote:
              > Hi Folks,
              > Whilst I don't often post myself, I try to read (or at least scan through)
              > most postings and the information I've picked up has been very worthwhile.
              > The reason for this post is simple. I've decided, I'll take the extra step
              > and purchase a PDA to use with my Garmin Etrex (the yellow model). Before I
              > reach for my wallet, I'd like to get an idea from other Ozi users what types
              > of PDA's to look for and steer clear of? I'm in Australia, although I guess
              > I can purchase the PDA itself from anywhere.
              >
              > I'll be using the gear generally in one of two ways.
              > Firstly I'll want to set up the PDA and the GPS in my car for general
              > navigation (RAM Mount, OziCE, AUSLIG 250k maps etc).
              > Secondly, I want to be able to carry both the GPS and PDA while walking and
              > setting Rogaine courses (a Rogaine is a bit like Orienteering). Therefore
              > the PDA needs to be reasonably tough with good battery life. It also needs
              > plenty of storage to take the maps I create for each event along with all
              > the info I'll add while I'm setting the map up.
              >
              > I'd also like to be able to one day dispense with the PDA to GPS cable, so
              > I'd be interested in anyone's experience with Bluetooth GPS & PDA usage.
              > Does it work well, does it 'eat batteries', is it worth the money and so on.
              > I'm quite happy with everything my trusty old Etrex can do so I'm not really
              > wanting to upgrade just yet (although given enough incentive, I'll do it in
              > a flash).
              >
              > Any comments, particularly from anyone who has a good or bad story to relate
              > would be very much appreciated.
              > Regards,
              > David.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • micpezzie
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
                You can also find out a lot at the OziCE Group. Another valuable
                source of infomration on OziCE,PDA's and wireless GPS units:

                We use the PDA's (iPAQ 5500's and 4700's) at work with a Leadtech
                GPS card plugged into it. (no wires)

                But the reception isn't so good under the forest canopy. They are
                fine for general navigation but not so hot at data capture which is
                what we do a lot of.

                We fall back to our Garmin V's for that. Garmin has stopped making
                the V's (pitty, a very good unit) and we've been told (by Garmin) to
                purchase the GPS MAP76 as a replacement. These units don't seem to
                receive as well as the V's do. Might be time to change brands.

                Anyone have suggestions. I was looking at the Magellen units on the
                web. Suggestions would be appreciated.
              • Norm Owens
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005
                  Well I never got any response here on my question about Holux ULTRA GM
                  270 CF GPS and the Jornada 680. I w2rote to a ebay gps store and
                  they were pretty sure it would work. So I guess I will spend the
                  bucks and try it out.

                  Norm

                  --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Norm Owens" <ad6si@y...> wrote:

                  > I am looking at the Holux ULTRA GM 270 CF GPS Reciever Card to use
                  on
                  > my Jornada 680e. And, I want to use it with the OziExplorerCE
                  > navigation software. The software loads and works, but the gps I am
                  > not sure about.
                  >
                  > Has anyone any experience or comments on this, before I spend the
                  > money?
                  >
                  > Norm
                  >
                  > note: I am awaiting acceptance in the oziexplorerCE group, or I
                  would
                  > post this there.

                • Julian Monfries
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
                    Norm,

                    Id the Jornado has a CF slot then the GPS should connect OK, only problem is
                    sorting out the Com's port.

                    I am surprised you had no response form the forum.

                    I use a CF GPS in my iPAQ 5550 and it works a treat

                    Julian Monfries
                    Lockleys SA 5032
                    Well I never got any response here on my question about Holux ULTRA GM 270
                    CF GPS and the Jornada 680. I w2rote to a ebay gps store and they were
                    pretty sure it would work. So I guess I will spend the bucks and try it
                    out.

                    Norm

                    --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Norm Owens" <ad6si@y...> wrote:

                    > I am looking at the Holux ULTRA GM 270 CF GPS Reciever Card to use
                    on
                    > my Jornada 680e. And, I want to use it with the OziExplorerCE
                    > navigation software. The software loads and works, but the gps I am
                    > not sure about.
                    >
                    > Has anyone any experience or comments on this, before I spend the
                    > money?
                    >
                    > Norm
                    >
                    > note: I am awaiting acceptance in the oziexplorerCE group, or I
                    would
                    > post this there.

                    Bzzzy! (real tools to help you find a job). Welcome to the Sweet Life.
                    http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/dkFolB/TM
                  • mrvale2003
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
                      Norm

                      I didn't originally reply to your question as it was specifically
                      directed to the Holux Ultra GM, which I don't have any experience of.
                      I did, however, successfully use a "no name" CF card GPS I bought off
                      Ebay in combination with a 680e Jornada, for the best part of a year.
                      The combination worked perfectly first time. Ozi loaded on the 680,
                      while all the maps went onto another CF card that loaded into the
                      second CF slot. I mainly wanted to use the combo as a moving map
                      display in my Cruiser while heading bush. I mounted the Jornada on a
                      small platform that I constructed on top of the dashboard. 3
                      observations:

                      1) because the card is mounted horizontally, it kept on coming out -
                      annoying, but easily fixed with a judiciously-placed rubber band
                      2) the display is virtually unreadable in normal sunlight - I built a
                      substantial shroud around the mount which helped, but it was never
                      usable while on the move
                      3) the 680's screen resolution and colour rendition is not good by
                      comparison with more modern pdas

                      My advice is that the CF card/pda option works very well, but the 680e
                      pda is a poor choice, by comparison with more modern pdas, if you want
                      to use the combo as a moving map display in a vehicle. I bought a
                      second hand Ipaq 2210 off ebay for a couple of hundred $ and it
                      outperforms the 680e by a country mile in every department. In
                      particular, the display is fully readable even in direct sunlight. Of
                      course ... if you already have the 680e and only need to buy the CF
                      card gps, you can always upgrade the pda at a later stage.

                      Cheers

                      MikeV

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 4, 2005
                        Norm,

                        My experience is with iPAQ PDA's a 3970 and 5550.

                        All work very well on the dash, readable and able to use the OziCE Screen
                        Control buttons whilst on the move

                        Julian and Sue Monfries
                        Lockleys SA 5032