RE: [OziUsers-L] Re: Slightly Off Topic

  • Scheffler, Hans <hscheff@sun.ac.za>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005

      On 30 June 2005 22:14 in OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
      rwcx183 wrote:

      > Hans,
      >
      > Welcome to the world of Garmin! Seriously though, I believe there
      > are solutions to the problem you posed, but there are much better
      > forums in which to ask the question. Try the Map_Authors group here
      > on Yahoo, where there are many more Garmin map tweakers than there
      > are here.

      There certainly are better forums to ask the above question.
      In this case the most appropriate forum will be the T4A forum!
      http://www.tracks4africa.com/forum.asp

      All T4A users should be subscribed there - T4A is a community, not a
      commercial product.
      T4A Maps Pro with added geofeatures is sold at minimal cost, but the
      same road data is available free as T4A maps.
      The map data is free, but if you use it, you are required to contribute
      your tracks to the map.
      See http://www.tracks4africa.com/ from more info.

      To answer your MapSource question:

      Yes, you need to upload *all* map tiles in one go.
      You can select tiles from more than one product.
      Select the tiles you want from map product1,
      Switch to map product2 and select tiles
      etc.
      Upload to GPSr

      You can even upload maps from different products covering the same area
      and then switch maps on and off on the GPSr or in some cases (depending
      on how the maps were compiled), overlay one map onto another.

      HTH
      Hans
    • Hans
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
        Slightly - just slightly.......

        Rwcx183:
        > Welcome to the world of Garmin! Seriously though, I believe there
        > are solutions to the problem you posed, but there are much better
        > forums in which to ask the question. <snip>

        Hans Walvis:
        Dear rwcx183 - thank you for your kind answer. The tone says you're NOT from New York :-)))
        I followed your recomendations and I am now subscribed to a group dealing specifically with the Garmin GPS V. Also, thanks to Hans Scheffler, I got the answer to what I suspected but was unsure of. Thanks Hans. I will most likely meet you again on your recommended site. I might even be able to contribute.

        I have been following this group for some time now and we certainly seem to be a multicultural bunch. My question is - how much tolerance does exist towards subjects not dealing precisely with OziExplorer 'cause there seems to be some cultural relationship governing the amount of tolerance shown. In this respect I have to commend you and Dave ........

        Regards
      • rwcx183
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Hans" <jdejager@m...> wrote:
          > Slightly - just slightly.......
          >
          > Rwcx183:
          > > Welcome to the world of Garmin! Seriously though, I believe
          there
          > > are solutions to the problem you posed, but there are much better
          > > forums in which to ask the question. <snip>
          >
          > Hans Walvis:
          > Dear rwcx183 - thank you for your kind answer. The tone says
          you're NOT from New York :-)))
          > I followed your recomendations and I am now subscribed to a group
          dealing specifically with the Garmin GPS V. Also, thanks to Hans
          Scheffler, I got the answer to what I suspected but was unsure of.
          Thanks Hans. I will most likely meet you again on your recommended
          site. I might even be able to contribute.

          > I have been following this group for some time now and we certainly
          seem to be a multicultural bunch. My question is - how much
          tolerance does exist towards subjects not dealing precisely with
          OziExplorer 'cause there seems to be some cultural relationship
          governing the amount of tolerance shown. In this respect I have to
          commend you and Dave ........

          > Regards

          Hans,

          Try not to read into it, more than was intended. It's ok with me, if
          you wish to discuss the subject of uploading various maps to your
          Garmin receiver, here. I was only trying to point out a better forum
          in which to ask.

          Though I'm certainly not the moderator here, I'd say that in general,
          the more closely related is the off-topic subject, to OziExplorer,
          the more tolerance there will be for lengthy discussion on the
          subject. Bear in mind that collective knowledge of this group
          centers around OziExplorer and when you stray from that, the accuracy
          of information provided, may be somewhat less than with OziExplorer
          questions. Dave Patton (who is a moderator here), may have more to
          say on this.

          J.G.