etrex gps and oziexplorer

  • crayzyclint
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2005
      have a etrex conected to laptop via usb cable
      moving map works ok and i can turn gps off via laptop but unable to
      download waypoints or tracks out of gps into oziexplorer
      any tips?
    • Ric Black
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
        Sounds like you need to go into the menu of the gps and change from NEMA to GARMEN.
        You will need to change back when using moving map.
        this should be in the help file of ozi.

        ric

      • Roger Moseley
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
          Getting NMEA strings from my Garmin uses the NMEA protocol and baud rate. When I get tracks, or do any other data exchange with the Garmin, I have to change the protocol and baud rate. Check to see if this is the case with your Etrax.

          Roger

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
            --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "crayzyclint" <theratt@o...> wrote:
            > have a etrex conected to laptop via usb cable
            > moving map works ok and i can turn gps off via laptop but unable to
            > download waypoints or tracks out of gps into oziexplorer
            > any tips?

            Since you can turn the GPS off, via the Garmin=>Turn Off GPS menu
            item in OziExplorer, you must already know how to set the GPS into
            Garmin mode. You may also be aware that you can still do moving map,
            whilst in Garmin mode, if you tick the box "Use PVT for Garmin
            instead of NMEA" on the COM tab of the OziExplorer configuration
            dialog. That said, if you can turn off the GPS as previously
            mentioned, then Ozi is able to send at least that one Garmin protocol
            command and the GPS is able to respond appropriately. Perhaps Garmin
            has changed the protocol slightly in some new version of firmware and
            Ozi can no longer download waypoints, tracks? I notice that you're
            saying that your etrex is connected to laptop via usb cable. If I
            remember correctly, etrex has no USB interface. So, you must be
            using a USB to serial convertor cable. Those can be quite
            problematic. It may be working well enough to send the power off
            command, but not well enough to download waypoints, tracks. On the
            configuration COM tab, there is an option to select from two
            different serial port drivers. You might try changing to the other
            serial port driver. If that fails, trying a different computer, or
            different model USB to serial cable. Some USB to serial convertors
            are notoriously bad.

            J.G.