Re: 12v-240v Pure Sine Wave Inverter

  • Greg & Marge
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2004
      Thanks to all who responded to my request for advice on this
      inverter.

      Your advice and experiences were invaluable to me and asisted me to
      make the decision to purchase the inverter from my local dealer even
      though I found I could have purchased from Jaycar
      http://tinyurl.com/2qz8v for $21 less (it probably would have cost
      that in freight).

      In the end I decided for the Inverter rather than a dc-dc converter
      for just laptop use, as I can also charge digital camera batteries
      and use other 240v appliances such as flouro lights etc, but it sure
      gave me something to think about.

      I'll try the inverter out over the next weekend or two and post a
      report as soon as I have tried it out.

      Thanks again

      Greg

      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Greg & Marge" <carthewg@b...>
      wrote:
      > Sorry if this is a little off topic.
      >
      > I have just found a supplier near where I live who can supply 300W
      > Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter - Brand Name is Powertech.
      >
      > The cost is AU$320.00
      >
      > Does anyone have any experience with this brand of inverter? Good
      > or Bad?
      >
      > I am very tempted to purchase one to run my laptop which requires
      > 19v or 240v to run.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Greg
    • David A.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2004
        Well you are better off using a Kerio Adaptor from DSE for $129.00 on special.
        www.kerio.com.tw is the factory website. Check out the impressive specifications especially for heat and efficiency.
        You can get a 300w pure sine wave invertor from DSE for $294.00 and you can get at least 10% off that price.
        You need to realise most of these come out of the same factory in Taiwan and just have a change of stickers and price. I can vouch for the quality of the DSE sine wave inverter, and the good thing is if it fails (which is highly unlikely) you just take it in and they give you a new one - end of story.

        Why not use a modified sine wave from Jaycar presently on special for $59.50
        It is basically only those crappy Sony power supplies that one run from a modified sine wave invertor. All the rest are perfectly happy.

        However, if I was going to buy something I would take the Kerio unit every day.

        I just chased down the Powertech website. I would say that they are definitely from the same factory as the DSE and Jaycar invertors. Both DSE and Jaycar are quite a bit cheaper. You can still always get a discount from DSE and Jaycar off their RRP. I am stuffed if I know why you would want to go with such a big lump of an inverter instead of using a 12vDC straight adaptor like the Kerio.

        Cheers
        David A.

        If you want to e-mail me direct DO NOT reply to this address as it goes direct to e-mail heaven.
        e-mail me at auslandline@...

        > I have just found a supplier near where I live who can supply 300W
        > Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter - Brand Name is Powertech.
        >
        > The cost is AU$320.00
        >
        > Does anyone have any experience with this brand of inverter? Good
        > or Bad?
        >
        > I am very tempted to purchase one to run my laptop which requires
        > 19v or 240v to run.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Greg

      • John Tserkezis
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2004
          David A. wrote:

          > Why not use a modified sine wave from Jaycar presently on special for $59.50
          > It is basically only those crappy Sony power supplies that one run from
          > a modified sine wave invertor. All the rest are perfectly happy.

          Be wary of the non-sine inverters from jaycar while runing some switchmode
          laptop supplies. They call it "switchmode syndrome" but that has nothing to do
          with it.

          Problem lies with the surge protection within the inverter, the non-sine
          units will not supply a heavy surge current regardless of how short (in time)
          it happens to be. The issue is the high (but short) initial surge current
          required by the power supply in question.

          The fault is clearly in the inverter, the overcurrent protection is too
          tight, and too intolerant.

          In effect, you plug it in, and it beeps, and does nothing else.

          If you ARE going to use it, best to bring your power supply into the shop and
          ask them to test it before buying. Verify the inverter doesn't fall over when
          you plug your supply in.

          > I am stuffed if I know why
          > you would want to go with such a big lump of an inverter instead of using
          > a 12vDC straight adaptor like the Kerio.

          Flexibility for equipment that doesn't offer anything other than mains input.
          --
          -o)
          /\\ Message void if penguin violated

          Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>