Re: [OziUsers-L] Australian UBD maps

  • John Tserkezis
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      brian sommerville wrote:

      > Presumably this is like all the other UBD publications in that it can't
      > be used easily with OziExplorer? Anybody tried?
      >
      > http://www.ubd-online.com/UBDFrontEnd/products/productdetail.asp?product
      > Id=321

      The UBD Australian Cities First edition (2004) contains maps for Sydney,
      Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong, Central
      Coast, Blue mountains.

      It can be considered equivalent to the old "Six Cities", and "CityLink"
      products combined.

      Pros:
      -There is more coverage in some areas.
      -There are new detailed maps in various areas.
      -More (new) streets all round.
      -It now shows where the red light cameras are.
      -Cost is AU$49.95 verses the ~AU$150 for the old Citylink and Six Cities.

      Cons.
      -The red light camera points are wrong. There are many points marked that are
      no longer red light camera junctions, there are also red light cameras that are
      not marked on the map.
      -The speed cameras for sydney are now permanently marked on the map image. The
      earlier products could have them enabled or disabled through a menu function.
      -The lat/long display is fixed to the WGS84 datum. The previous release could
      choose between WGS84 and AGD66.
      -It no longer contains detailed maps of universities and such, though the paper
      version does include them.
      -The "650 new streets in Sydney" is more like 200-300 or so. I suspect they
      were comparing different coverage areas though.
      -Although many corrections have been implemented, the many more "errors" are
      very much still there.
      -The "improved scrolling" that they have been claiming for the last two
      releases, now really IS improved. Well, different anyway. It has been knobbled
      to the point that any attempt to touch the scroll bars results in a largely
      inconsistent result. It used to work just fine.
      -The bug that causes the software to crash when scrolling past the edge of a
      map is still there. Three+ years in a row.
      -The bug that causes the software to chuck a wobbly when trying to zoom in from
      the suburban scale map, causing the "no map at selected area" error message is
      still there. (it should just ignore further zoom in requests at areas without
      detail).
      -There are now more streets and suburbs with invalid lat/long locations,
      causing the software to crash when doing a search for those streets and trying
      to bring them up on the map. (last year it was one, previous years no invalids).
      -The UBD map reference grid still is different between the CD and paper products.

      Aside from that, it is pretty much the same deal re using it with Ozi.

      --
      -o)
      /\\ Message void if penguin violated

      Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>
      Fido: 3:712/610 BBS/FAX: +61-2-9716-8310 Internet: jt@...-
    • Geoff Greig
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        John,

        At least those in Melbourne and Sydney have an alternative with Melways
        and Sydways and I think in Adelaide and Perth with some alternative
        Street Directory Publishers.

        However us poor people in Brisbane have no alternative.

        In addition to the faults in the software and errors in the data, UBD
        appear to still be putting in streets that simply dont exist and never will.

        Oh I wish ther was a Brisway

        Geoff Greig
        Brisbane Australia

      • Clint Felmingham
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          > Oh I wish ther was a Brisway

          I believe it's coming... Take a look at street-directory.com.au on zoom
          levels 5 and 6. Obviously under development as there's text in places on
          the Sunshine Coast like "UBD says this road is called blah but topo
          shows blah2?" and "Where is the fire station here?".

          Didn't UBD admit a few years ago that they were putting anomalies in
          their products for some sort of copyright reasons?

          Clint
        • John Tserkezis
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
            Clint Felmingham wrote:

            > I believe it's coming... Take a look at street-directory.com.au on zoom
            > levels 5 and 6. Obviously under development as there's text in places on
            > the Sunshine Coast like "UBD says this road is called blah but topo
            > shows blah2?" and "Where is the fire station here?".

            You're right. I wonder who it's licenced from? They state their sources,
            but I didn't notice any queensland specific entries.

            > Didn't UBD admit a few years ago that they were putting anomalies in
            > their products for some sort of copyright reasons?

            I've heard two sides. One says yes, non-existant streets are added, others
            say not intentionally, there are enough non-intentional errors in the data to
            be able to get a clue as to its origin.

            IMO, there are that many unintentional errors in the UBD data as well as
            software, that it could only come down to one thing. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.
            The viewer software has that many bugs that have been there for that long
            it's not funny anymore.

            Granted, they do fix some errors, but with each release, they introduce more
            new errors. In software AND data.

            The new retail price says it all. You get what you pay for.

            For anyone to say UBD _needs_ intentional "errors" to trace data, is an idiot.