Ok - I give up... Index Maps

  • Timothy Hilgenberg <timothy@hilgenberg.c
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 5:24 AM
      Hi there,

      I've looked through the archive here, searched through the help file
      in OziEx... but I can't see how I make/load a map as an Index Map.
      What I did try, and it seemed to work, was to move the map and image
      file to a directory called x:\index map\ and loding this seemed to
      show me all the other maps that fell within the area...

      Surely this is not the right way of doing things?

      Any tips gratefully appreciated.

    • John Tserkezis
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1 5:36 AM
        Timothy Hilgenberg wrote:

        > I've looked through the archive here, searched through the help file
        > in OziEx... but I can't see how I make/load a map as an Index Map.
        > What I did try, and it seemed to work, was to move the map and image
        > file to a directory called x:\index map\ and loding this seemed to
        > show me all the other maps that fell within the area...
        >
        > Surely this is not the right way of doing things?
        >
        > Any tips gratefully appreciated.

        You don't *have* to load "index" maps from the index folder. Personally, I
        have an index folder that contains a few lower resolution maps that are
        otherwise identical to the ones that get used for primary navigation. The
        reason I made up lower res maps for indexing is that they get loaded faster,
        and I don't really need high resolution for this anyway.

        You don't *have* to load maps from the index folder, you can in fact pick
        *any* map available, providing it is calibrated correctly of course.

        You also don't have to pick the default \oziexplorer\maps\ folder to display
        map outlines, you can pick a particular folder, and choose whether or not you
        want subfolders included in the display.

        There are buttons on the index window that allow you to choose different
        index backgrounds, and search folders.

        --
        -o)
        /\\ Message void if penguin violated

        Linux Registered User # 302622 <http://counter.li.org>
        Fido: 3:712/610 BBS:+61-2-9716-8310 Internet: jt@...
      • Timothy Hilgenberg <timothy@hilgenberg.c
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1 6:43 AM
          --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, John Tserkezis <jt@t...> wrote:
          > Timothy Hilgenberg wrote:
          >
          > > I've looked through the archive here, searched through the help
          file
          > > in OziEx... but I can't see how I make/load a map as an Index
          Map.
          > > What I did try, and it seemed to work, was to move the map and
          image
          > > file to a directory called x:\index map\ and loding this seemed
          > > show me all the other maps that fell within the area...
          > >
          > > Surely this is not the right way of doing things?
          > >
          > > Any tips gratefully appreciated.
          >
          > You don't *have* to load "index" maps from the index folder.
          Personally, I
          > have an index folder that contains a few lower resolution maps that
          are
          > otherwise identical to the ones that get used for primary
          navigation. The
          > reason I made up lower res maps for indexing is that they get
          loaded faster,
          > and I don't really need high resolution for this anyway.
          >
          > You don't *have* to load maps from the index folder, you can in
          fact pick
          > *any* map available, providing it is calibrated correctly of course.
          >
          > You also don't have to pick the default \oziexplorer\maps\ folder
          to display
          > map outlines, you can pick a particular folder, and choose whether
          or not you
          > want subfolders included in the display.
          >
          > There are buttons on the index window that allow you to choose
          different
          > index backgrounds, and search folders.
          >

          > --
          > -o)
          > /\\ Message void if penguin violated
          > _\_V Don't mess with the penguin
          >
          > Linux Registered User # 302622
          <http://counter.li.org>
          > Fido: 3:712/610 BBS:+61-2-9716-8310 Internet: jt@n...

          Thanks - I think I now understand,

          Much appreciated.

        • Dave Patton [DCP]
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1 7:55 AM
            At 05:24 AM 2003-03-01, Timothy Hilgenberg <timothy@...> wrote:
            >Hi there,
            >
            >I've looked through the archive here, searched through the help file
            >in OziEx... but I can't see how I make/load a map as an Index Map.
            >What I did try, and it seemed to work, was to move the map and image
            >file to a directory called x:\index map\ and loding this seemed to
            >show me all the other maps that fell within the area...
            >
            >Surely this is not the right way of doing things?
            >
            >Any tips gratefully appreciated.

            First, this applies to any map, but maybe the effects of
            'having it wrong' are more obvious with Index Maps:
            - make sure the calibration is correct, both by looking
            at the calibration screen, and by using the map(e.g. with
            tracks/waypoinmts, or looking at the position of the cursor)
            - make sure the corner markers are set properly

            Here's how I have things set up:
            - Ozi program directory: D:\Program Files\OziExplorer
            - Map File Path: E:\@ozi\maps
            - Data File Path: E:\@ozi\data
            - My Index Maps are stored in: E:\@ozi\Index Maps
            My E:\@ozi\maps directory has the following subdirectories:
            E:\@ozi\maps\A
            E:\@ozi\maps\MapQuest
            E:\@ozi\maps\MrSid
            My E:\@ozi\maps\A directory has subdirectories that categorize
            my maps by their source, such as the name of the company that
            produced them, or the name of the website they came from, etc.

            The above setup lets me:
            1)
            Keep my data on a different partition than the programs.
            2)
            I have 28 Index Maps(Canada, all the Provinces, 7 World maps, etc)
            and by having them "above" the Map File Path they don't get included
            when an Index Map displays the available maps. If I want to see the
            Provinces displayed on the Canada Map, then I just select the Canada
            Index Map and change the Index Map Search Path to E:\@ozi\Index Maps
            3)
            I normally have my Index Map Search Path set to E:\@ozi\maps\A
            because I don't want to see the MrSid maps, or the MapQuest maps
            shown on the Index Map. This is because the MrSid images cover
            too large an area for my normal uses, and the MapQuest City and
            Street level maps are too numerous, and cover too small an area.
            Just like in (2) above, I can always change the Index Map Search Path
            if I want to see them displayed on an Index Map.
            4)
            By having the Ozi Map File Path set to E:\@ozi\maps, which includes
            the MapQuest and MrSid subdirectories, if I'm working with any map
            (except an Index Map loaded as a 'regular' map) and I do a "Find Map
            at Cursor" or "Find Other Maps at This Position" or "Find Maps North/
            South/East/West of this Map" I get the 'full list' of available maps.

            --
            Dave Patton
            Canadian Coordinator, the Degree Confluence Project
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1 2:53 PM
              Many thank's to all.
              I was finding the problem... and solution.
              The problem was the number version of Ozi (3.90), and only that!
              The solution was the new version of Ozi (3.95), and only that!

              But I have a new problem: When I imported a road or a waypoint file in PCX5
              format, Ozi don't imported nothing, why?

              Cordialement
              Alain Girard
              Mon site: http://agirard.free.fr