Re: [OziUsers-L] laptop

  • Martyn Davison and Family
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 31, 2002
      I run my notebook straight from the 12v car battery, The power is normally
      20v from its ac power pack but the internal battery pack is a lot less ! It
      will not charge but runs ok! Make sure the polarity is correct.
      cheers Martyn
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 1, 2003
        Mick, Dell have the worlds best customer service, check with them what the
        power consumption is of your laptop and the add 20% for safety.

        Peter

        I have a dell laptop I would like to use in car and am thinking of
        buying an inverter to run it. Can anyone tell me wat size inverter I
        need to buy?

        Mick

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=17072089
        42:HM/A=1327986/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870027;7586687;a?http://
        www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Pieter Litchfield
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 1, 2003
          Here's a dumb suggestion from a non-tech. I looked at the label on the AC adapter of my Dell laptop, and it says "Input 100-240V @1.5 A 50-60Hz, Output 19V @ 2.4A". Doesn't that tell you the converter must be able to supply 1.5 amps at 110 volts to power the transformer? This, I believe, translates to something like 180 watts? (120V x 1.5 A input)

          I'd guess all external power supplies (transformers) have these labels on them somewhere, or get the specs from the Dell web site.

          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 1, 2003
            I think that these are the maximum ratings for both the input and output of the transformer. What the laptop consumes would be closer to the maximum output rating i.e. 19 * 2.4 or 46 watts.

            Richard

            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 5, 2003
              Teppo,

              Not necessaraly. I purchasee a 150w inverter just over 12 months ago to
              run a Compaq notebook that my wife had. It ran ok. More reciently I
              purchased a Compaq Evo N115 and sometimes the 150w inverter compains and
              shuts down even though it is cool and the the car batery is fully
              charged. I get the impression the new Evo draws more power then the old
              Compaq and it is right on the 150W limit

              The EVO power supply sais Output 19v 3.16A

              Interesting the Input sais 100V. yet im runnig it on 240V

              Geoff Greig
              Brisbane Australia

              Teppo Rapo wrote:

              > => 150w will do.
              > -teppo
              >
              > --- "mphoneau <mick400@...>" <mick400@...>
              > wrote:
              > > I have a dell laptop I would like to use in car and am thinking of
              > > buying an inverter to run it. Can anyone tell me wat size inverter
              > > need to buy?
              > >
              > > Mick

              > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              >
              > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*
              > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=234081.2814790.4175286.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1707208942:HM/A=1327985/R=0/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;4870024;7586687;x?http://www.ameriquestmortgage.com/welcome.html?ad=Yahoo01>

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            • Teppo Rapo
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 7, 2003
                OK, that may be true. But still I think that 150w should be enough
                for a computer BUT there may be bad quality 230-19 converters made
                for Lappies..

                My inverter is made to be able to start eg.TV. Meaning that it is
                150w but can supply 300w peaks.

                I sometimes ran my Fijitsu without batterypack, works fine BUT not in

                all cars. So what I think is that 150w will do (for me) but you need
                to have sufficient feed for inverter. For instance there is huge
                difference with car fuses, newer models have much shorter line in
                them (1/5 inch)and they supply much better that old ones that had
                fuse line around 0,5 inch.

                Mitshubishi Pajero was funny, every time you used turn signal I lost
                power from inverter.. In Suzuki Samurai (SJ413) inverter started to
                yel if car on idle... Inverter did not give a sound even that runned
                4 hours by car battery without engine running at my Golf (model 2000)

                Not even on start-up that it sometimes do.

                -teppo

                http://mailplus.yahoo.com
              • Laurie <laurencemiles@yahoo.com.au>
                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 7, 2003
                  Teppo

                  I have a 200w invertor, but a friend runs an 80w invertor with no
                  problems.

                  I also run the invertor from a 2nd deep cycle battery. I found that
                  when running from the main battery it turned off when starting the
                  4WD.

                  I now run a power pack instead of the invertor as it is much smaller.

                  Laurie

                • Michael Compagnino
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 7, 2003
                    Hi,

                    I run a PC from a 150w inverter however I find that it drains a lot of
                    power from my 2nd batt (used for emergency starting / winching) would
                    anyone know how to run a PC without the inverter / 240V power supply??

> [...]

                    > > run a Compaq notebook that my wife had. It ran ok. More
                    reciently
                    > > purchased a Compaq Evo N115 and sometimes the 150w inverter
                    > > compains and
                    > > shuts down even though it is cool and the the car batery is fully
                    > > charged. I get the impression the new Evo draws more power then
                    > > the old
                    > > Compaq and it is righe 150W limit
                    > >
                    > > The EVO power supply sais Output 19v 3.16A
                    > >
                    > > Interesting the Input sais 100V. yet im runnig it on 240V
                    > >
                    > > Geoff Greig
                    > > Brisbane Australia
                    > >

                    > > Teppo Rapo wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > => 150w will do.
                    > > > -teppo
                    > > >
                    > > > --- "mphoneau <mick400@o...>" <mick400@o...>
                    > > of
                    > > inverter

                    > > > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1707
                    208942:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http:/www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3
                    936_5802,FF.html> HGTV Dream Home Giveaway

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egrou
                    pmail/S=:HM/A=1394046/rand=178226745>

                  • Laurie <laurencemiles@yahoo.com.au>
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 7, 2003
                      Interesting. I also run an HF radio, a UHF radio, mobile phone and an
                      Engel fridge from my 2nd battery with no problems at all. Mind you,
                      running a winch can flatten it pretty quickly.

                      Laurie

                      --- In OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Compagnino"

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 7, 2003
                        Could it be something about construction of inverter...?

                        I think there is two different kind of inverters on market.
                        First one is like mine, it takes from battery current what is needed
                        to run devices on the end, so if i have full battery on laptop and
                        screen is shut down I think i would run days from car battery, it
                        does not even get warm but If I have flat battery on laptop and it's
                        up and running wiht prosessor operating it would be matter of hours
                        to drain battery form my car.

                        Then there is this one which takes full current all the time, does
                        not matte if there is anything to conneted to it. That one will drain
                        the car battery within hours.

                        About running without inverter there is several ways to do it (we
                        been here many times before, try find option from messages of this
                        group) just straight 12 volts to lappy or 12->19 converter. I prefer
                        inverter as ther is heaps of toy to run with 220v while on the move.
                        -teppo

                        --- Michael Compagnino <mickcomp@...> wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > I run a PC from a 150w inverter however I find that it drains a lot
                        > of
                        > power from my 2nd batt (used for emergency starting / winching)
                        > would
                        > anyone know how to run a PC without the inverter / 240V power
                        > supply??

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Michael Compagnino
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 7, 2003
                          My inverter is a Dick Smithy. and I pretty sure it the first kind. I
                          have a 11" in VGA screen fitted to my car and IMHO a pc was a better
                          option (sound, TV / Radio / card, more HDD's and so on) The PC in my car
                          has a 110W power supply fitted to a custom water proof box ( I drive a
                          land rover ;p ) . What I would like to do is run the PC directly from
                          the 2nd batt and piss the inverter off so to speak. I have had a look
                          and I need 12V@8A, 5V@25A and 3.3V@14A (that's what the sticker on the
                          power sup says anyway) can it be done?? Or will it blow my motherboard
                          to bits??

                          Could it be something about construction of inverter...?

                          I think there is two different kind of inverters on market.
                          First one is like mine, it takes from battery current what is needed
                          to run devices on the end, so if i have full battery on laptop and
                          screen is shut down I think i would run days from car battery, it
                          does not even get warm but If I have flat battery on laptop and it's
                          up and running wiht prosessor operating it would be matter of hours
                          to drain battery form my car.

                          Then there is this one which takes full current all the time, does
                          not matte if there is anything to conneted to it. That one will drain
                          the car battery within hours.

                          About running without inverter there is several ways to do it (we
                          been here many times before, try find option from messages of this
                          group) just straight 12 volts to lappy or 12->19 converter. I prefer
                          inverter as ther is heaps of toy to run with 220v while on the move.
                          -teppo

                          --- Michael Compagnino <mickcomp@...> wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > I run a PC from a 150w inverter however I find that it drains a lot
                          > of
                          > power from my 2nd batt (used for emergency starting / winching)
                          > would
                          > anyone know how to run a PC without the inverter / 240V power
                          > supply??

                          http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egroupweb/S=1707
                          208942:HM/A=1394046/R=0/*http:/www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3
                          936_5802,FF.html> HGTV Dream Home Giveaway

                          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=241773.2725424.4169802.1925585/D=egrou
                          pmail/S=:HM/A=1394046/rand=842139863>

                        • Stuart Forge
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 3 11:51 PM
                            Hi Michael,

                            Checkout http://www.zantech.com.au/apowertech/PSU-12vdc250w.html

                            Generally PC power supplies supply -ve voltages (-12, -5) as well as the
                            +ve ones stated, and while possible to create, it ain't that easy. The
                            weight of the above power supply (I have one) indicates that there are a
                            few tricks in the box!

                            I haven't had a chance to determine how much more efficient this unit is
                            compared to an inverter driven PC, but figured that, like you, a PC with
                            a 12 volt LCD offered a much better, more flexible, cheaper option for
                            on board computing.

                            Cheers,
                            Stuart.