Re: [OziUsers-L] Is this a 'bug'? Waypoint and datums.

  • Piet Vogelaar
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      Something related I have with use of Dutch RD and WGS84 coords.
      The thing is: in RD you have a metric (meter) grid. No representation is
      ever done in degrees. But should you do, then you have the Bessel 1841
      ellips and not the WGS84 one (how is that one called?). So you have a
      strange shift like you observed in your situation also.
      This pittfall made me make a webpage for Dutch users. Maybe some info will
      help you. See:

      http://www.xs4all.nl/~atarist/geo/ozi_how.htm

      Piet

      >Is this a 'bug'? I'm using version 3.90.3a of Ozi. Here's what
      >happens. I load a map of datum NAD27 (CONUS) and change the
      >displayed datum to WGS84. I then create or load a waypoint
      >referenced to the WGS84 datum. I then go into "Waypoint Properties"
      >followed by "Edit Position". This is where the "trouble begins".
      >If I leave everything unchanged and click "Save" while in the "Edit
      >Position" dialogue box and then click "Save" again for the "Waypoint
      >Properties" dialogue box, the waypoint stays at its correct location
      >and all is well. However, if I click "Cancel" while in the "Edit
      >Position" dialogue box and then click "Save" for the "Waypoint
      >Properties" dialogue box, the waypoint mysteriously shifts position.
      >If I do this sequence repeatedly, the waypoint shifts each time, even
      >though I have not changed any information in either dialogue box.
      >Again, this only happens when I click "Cancel" in the "Edit Position"
      >box and "Save" in the "Waypoint Properties" box. If I click "Cancel"
      >in both boxes or "Save" in both boxes, the waypoint stays in its
      >proper location. This 'feels' like a 'bug' related to some sort of
      >error in the datum calculation. Has anyone else experienced this?
      >Mardon

      Ontvang je Hotmail & Messenger berichten op je mobiele telefoon met Hotmail
      SMS http://www.msn.nl/jumppage/