      From: OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com [mailto:OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Read
      Sent: Monday, January 13, 2014 10:08 AM
      To: OziUsers-L@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [OziUsers-L] OziExplorer still in business?

      On 1/13/2014 9:05 PM, Des Fry wrote:

      > I think change is inevitable for Ozi to reach a wider customer base.

      Unfortunately, IMHO, Ozi has come to a crossroads in it's development.
      It has to satisfy at least TWO diverse groups of users

      1* The "must have the latest software version and latest hardware
      platform", with all the latest bells and whistles, regardless of whether
      it is useful, stable or not.
      and
      2* The "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" group

      I am sure both groups are represented in this forum! ;-)

      <rant>
      Group 1 will encourage Ozi to become more and more complex/bloated with
      all the instabilities and inefficiencies that could potentially pop up
      if a single "feature" is changed or added. The introduction of new
      encrypted map formats, hardware platforms and O/S's would be
      particularly challenging.
      Unfortunately, due to it's complexity, an Ozi "bug fix" may take far
      more lead and testing time to develop into a marketable product.
      Group 1 members would generate an avalanche of typical posts in this
      forum asking .....
      " How do I get Ozi to run on the new XYZ tablet?"
      or
      "I have just installed the new ABC operating system and now I cannot get
      moving maps to work"

      Group 2 would encourage releases of Ozi to only address bug fixes and
      possibly changes to *common* map formats.
      Complete rewrites would not be needed and updated versions would be
      quicker to market.
      Unfortunately, group 1 is growing at a far greater rate than group 2
      (group 2 may even be stagnant?), so Des has to try to balance the
      product between the two, an almost impossible task.

      Maybe there need to be at least TWO teams working on different versions
      V1 - "bells and whistles bloatware" - gives greater income
      V2 - "no frills, it just works" - probably minimal income, but steadier
      user base.
      </rant>

      I agree with Des F in running multiple versions of Ozi.
      I actually run 2 on a separate dedicated machine.......

      the development version (3.96.4a - 3.3Mb)
      the latest version (3.95.5t - 8.4Mb)

      Cheers
      Dave
      South Oz