Intro

  • JEANNE STAPLETON
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 23, 1999
      Hi. My name is Berengaria. I like to dance. I started dancing...well,
      when I was about four, there are a whole bunch of embarrassing photos of
      me after I saw my first ballet and struck "ballet poses" every time
      someone wanted to take a picture of me.

      Formal lessons soon followed. I took ballet, modern and square dance.
      Later various polyglot folk, Tahitian and jazz. I was slow to catch on
      to dancing in the SCA precisely because so much of it did not even *look*
      right for the period at first.

      I started studying, slowly and unsurely at first, some sources; and not
      all of those were primary. It was hard to get primary sources in Oertha,
      which is when I started to get interested.

      I really got into studying and practicing period dance living int he
      central West, where I had the opportunity to attend several practices
      a week. I have a Pied d'Argent and a Silver Rondel (from Lochac) which
      have various requirements for performing dance but no real requirements
      for teaching, etc. I also discovered the joys of Victorian ballroom
      and Regency.

      I haven't done much dance lately just due to a busy schedule.

      Berengaria
    • McClune, Sheila
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 23, 1999
        From: JEANNE STAPLETON <jstaplet@...>

        Hi. My name is Berengaria. I like to dance. I started dancing...well,
        when I was about four, there are a whole bunch of embarrassing photos of
        me after I saw my first ballet and struck "ballet poses" every time
        someone wanted to take a picture of me.
        <<<

        Mom enrolled me in ballet lessons for 2-3 years, in hopes it would make me
        more graceful (I was klutzy even as a kid). I think she finally gave up
        when she saw it wasn't really helping any.

        Later, when my folks took up square dancing, they tried to get me involved,
        but when you're 16, lack of a regular partner is just too embarrassing to
        put up with on a regular basis ...

        <<<
        I started studying, slowly and unsurely at first, some sources; and not
        all of those were primary. It was hard to get primary sources in Oertha,
        which is when I started to get interested.
        <<<

        Which reminds me of another thing I wanted to do, (though I don't have time
        today), which is to make a list of readily-available sources. A couple of
        things are out on the web, and I had reasonably good luck with interlibrary
        loan. And a couple of things (like Arbeau and Caroso) are currently in
        print from Dover Books.

        I'll see if I can get that done and get it posted in the next few days ...

        I have a fairly substantial library now, but it's taken many years, a lot of
        searching, and a little just-plain-dumb-luck (found a copy of deLauze--early
        1600's French-- for $.50 on the "miscellaneous" table at the Denver Botanic
        Gardens used book sale a couple of years ago). And there are some things I
        would still very much like to find.

        I really got into studying and practicing period dance living int he
        central West, where I had the opportunity to attend several practices
        a week.
        <<<

        <whimper> Several practices a week! <whimper> I'm lucky to get to one,
        and that's mostly because I run it!

        I haven't done much dance lately just due to a busy schedule.
        <<<

        Come dance with us, then. I'll try to remember to remind you every
        Thursday.