RE: [OutlandsDance] Hole in the Wall -Reply

  • Sheila McClune
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2000
      >>> Swashbuckler <swashbuckler@...> 12/28/00 03:19pm >>>
      The first edition of Playford, "The English Dancing Master", was
      published in 1651. Though out of period by most calculations, this edition
      is usually embraced by the SCA for four reasons: it purports to record
      old way of doing dances, it is readily available (in any good book store
      in English, too), it is one of the few historical records of English
      dancing, and we've always had it.

      "Where to stop" is a tough line to draw, and everyone seems to draw it
      in a different place, for different reasons.

      I don't have as much of a problem with Playford - after all, when I joined
      the SCA, the cut-off date *was* 1650. (Oops, I think I'm showing my age
      .....) And I'd rather have first-edition Playford dances than, say, square
      or contra dancing, or no dancing at all. I try really hard to stick to the first
      edition, though. I think Black Nag is my biggest exception; though it
      doesn't appear until the third edition, I justify it because it is similar to
      many first edition dances (and it's really not a lot later).

      We have two other period sources for
      English dances (the Inns of Court Mss and Gresley). Many other
      sources are
      available, especially through the web.

      Interlibrary loan is also your friend. :)

      With the web, we have such a huge advantage over dance teachers of
      even ten or fifteen years ago. For one thing, discussion groups such as
      this are easier to form and use. And there are so many resources out
      there - bibliographies, discographies, primary and secondary sources ...
      not to mention technological advances like CD burners -- heck, we've got
      it easy, by comparison.

      I'd prefer to see period
      dances, so I usually choose not to participate in Hole in the Head at SCA
      events. I'm willing to do my part to teach fun alternatives. I try to lead
      by example, never by force.

      My feeling is that there are so many fun period dances, who would ever
      have time for anything else? But it *is* hard to get started. Peoples'
      comfort zones are especially small when it comes to dancing. They'd far
      rather do "the fun dances" they know, even though they know that
      they're well out of period, rather than risk "looking stupid" by doing "a
      scary period dance" they don't know.

      But you're right - force doesn't work. I'm not sure how well example
      works, either, but that's what we're trying to do. There really are a lot of
      fun period dances out there, and many aren't any harder than Hole In The
      Wall. We just need to get out and show people how much fun they are!

      Good to finally "meet" you, Rebekah. Your reputation certainly precedes

      (the "other half" of the Caerthen dance teaching team)