Re: [OutlandsDance] Digest Number 56

  • Dianne Phelan
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2000
      Keith / Guillaume says:
      > Hole in the Wall comes to us from late 17th century (1698?) and early
      > 18th century editions of Playford. The music was first published as a
      > Purcell hornpipe in the early to mid 1690's. I will look up more details
      > when I get home

      Arwen says:
      > I'm remembering 1694 or 1696.

      The Complete Country Dance Tunes from Playford's Dancing Master,
      ed. Jeremy Barlow, lists the tune and dance Hole in the Wall
      as first appearing in part 2, 2nd ed 1698, 9B.

      The Purcell hornpipe is from the play Abdelazar, or the Moor's Revenge,
      1695, according to Purcell, Playford, and the English Country Dance,
      vol.2 the music, by Christine Helwig and Marshall Barron. How come I've
      never noticed this implies there's a "vol.1 the dances"???
      Time to prowl the CDSS site....yup, it's there.

      On the CDSS site, I notice there's a new (9/22) online compendium
      of all the Playford dancing master versions in a searchable database
      with facsimiles of unique versions of the dances. *Very* nifty. Go to
      http://www.cdss.org/publications/ and click the On-Line Publications item.

      --Rebekah of Lizard's Nest
      (a former dance mistress of al-Barran)
    • Reta Bray
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2000
        Thank you both for the information. I would love to learn new dances. Arwen you meantioned that you were to travel this way for Sworded? May I at this time offer you and your traveling companions crash space if you so need it.
        I have not been playing long but I long for more info, wanting to learn more all the time. With what dances are done here and how often we practice? Well there is usually dance practice every 3rd thursday of the month (i believe) but I usually have to work. I usually catch up with Lady Barbara early at events that are planning to have dancing and try to help out as much as I can.

        Also before I forget... I would like very much to extend an ivitation to all to an upcoming event. MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT'S DREAM. It is June 22nd -24th (Friday- Sunday) there will be an Equestrian Tourney, a Archery Tourney, and a Rapier Tourney Saturday afternoon. A feast late Sat afternoon and then a Rapier tourney and Heavey Tourney right after night fall. Followed by a wonderful revel with lots of dancing.
        Also I would like to send out a challange to all brewers. for there is a brewer's competions right before feast.

        I must be off for it is well past my bed time.
        Be safe
      • Sheila McClune
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 29, 2000
          > Thank you both for the information. I would love to learn new dances. Arwen you meantioned that you were to travel this way for Sworded? May I at this time offer you and your traveling companions crash space if you so need it.
          <<<

          Thank you for your very kind offer! We have a more-or-less standing
          invitation at Allegra and John's (she's invited me to come help cook),
          but if that doesn't happen to work out this year, I would be delighted
          to get in touch with you. It seems to be turning into a tradition for
          me to come down to Sworded. I always enjoy it.

          > Also before I forget... I would like very much to extend an ivitation to all to an upcoming event. MIDSUMMER'S NIGHT'S DREAM. It is June 22nd -24th (Friday- Sunday) there will be an Equestrian Tourney, a Archery Tourney, and a Rapier Tourney Saturday afternoon. A feast late Sat afternoon and then a Rapier tourney and Heavey Tourney right after night fall. Followed by a wonderful revel with lots of dancing.
          <<<

          Sounds like fun. We'll pencil it in, though we haven't looked that far
          ahead on our calendar just yet.

          > Also I would like to send out a challange to all brewers. for there is a brewer's competions right before feast.
          <<<

          You know, I haven't yet tried my hand at brewing. But I know people who
          have .... :)