Re: Dance question

  • James Gilly / Alasdair MacIain
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2000
      At 10:40 AM 12/28/00 +0000, the Digest quoted Guillaume:
      > Here's a question for the list: What dances do you see/want to see at
      >your events and what dances do you regularly practice? How often do you
      >practice?

      Very seldom, now, as we've been pretty much out of play since our second
      child arrived (over two years now since our last event, whereas we used to
      attend at least 8-10 a year). Back when Philippa and I were dancemaster
      and dancemistress for the Barony of Marinus (Tidewater Virginia), though,
      we held two or three practices each month.

      As for the dances, we mostly did the Inns of Court dances, Arbeau, some
      English country (Rufty Tufty, Heart's Ease, Gathering Peasecods, Jenny
      Pluck Pears, and Sellenger's Round were probably the most common), plus a
      few others. No basse dance (I don't know any) and no Italian Ren (I've
      tried a couple, but I'm not that graceful).

      >Another question: What do you know about these dances?

      Not much, other than their sources.

      >Would an
      >ongoing discussion of dance history be of general interest to the list?

      Yes!

      Alasdair mac Iain