Re: Dance question

  • James Gilly / Alasdair MacIain
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2000
      At 10:40 AM 12/28/00 +0000, the Digest quoted Guillaume:
      > Here's a question for the list: What dances do you see/want to see at
      >your events and what dances do you regularly practice? How often do you
      >practice?

      Very seldom, now, as we've been pretty much out of play since our second
      child arrived (over two years now since our last event, whereas we used to
      attend at least 8-10 a year). Back when Philippa and I were dancemaster
      and dancemistress for the Barony of Marinus (Tidewater Virginia), though,
      we held two or three practices each month.

      As for the dances, we mostly did the Inns of Court dances, Arbeau, some
      English country (Rufty Tufty, Heart's Ease, Gathering Peasecods, Jenny
      Pluck Pears, and Sellenger's Round were probably the most common), plus a
      few others. No basse dance (I don't know any) and no Italian Ren (I've
      tried a couple, but I'm not that graceful).

      >Another question: What do you know about these dances?

      Not much, other than their sources.

      >Would an
      >ongoing discussion of dance history be of general interest to the list?

      Yes!

      Alasdair mac Iain
    • Sheila McClune
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2000
        > Hole in the Wall comes to us from late 17th century (1698?) and early
        > 18th century editions of Playford. The music was first published as a
        > Purcell hornpipe in the early to mid 1690's.
        <<<

        I'm remembering 1694 or 1696.

        > This is a popular Regency dance and is also well known throughout much
        > of the SCA. Note that Hole in the Wall is not period for the SCA, nor is it
        > even a particularly period style. It is an early form of Real, so it is
        > closer to Contra dance than period court dance.
        <<<

        Actually, it's a "reel". :) This form later evolved into contradance
        -- which in turn became American Square Dance.

        The endless repetition does
        > help occasional dancers to learn it, however, so it remains popular even
        > though it is not inherently an easy dance (I've watched Science Fiction fans
        > try to get the hang of it at convention Regency dances - it's not easy).
        <<<

        The fact that many dancers in the SCA know it means it's a lot easier to
        help the few who don't get through it.

        We have a fun dance game we do here in Caerthe, called The Pinwheel,
        which your Baron might also enjoy. It's an excerpt from a longer dance,
        but it's easy to learn and teach and it allows kidnapping and all sorts
        of silliness. Maybe we can come down to Sworded Affair and teach it to
        you there?