RE: Dance question

  • Swashbuckler
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 27, 2000

      Welcome to the list. It's been pretty quiet, but maybe we can kick up
      some dust. I have a couple of open questions below.

      Hole in the Wall comes to us from late 17th century (1698?) and early
      18th century editions of Playford. The music was first published as a
      Purcell hornpipe in the early to mid 1690's. I will look up more details
      when I get home - I have my Arbeau at work, but my Playford references are
      at home:) The Playford dances are appropriate for upper class people
      (especially lawyers and government officials), although lesser nobility and
      other well to do people would certainly have participated. By the turn of
      the century I think they had a substantial middle class market, too.

      This is a popular Regency dance and is also well known throughout much
      of the SCA. Note that Hole in the Wall is not period for the SCA, nor is it
      even a particularly period style. It is an early form of Real, so it is
      closer to Contra dance than period court dance. The endless repetition does
      help occasional dancers to learn it, however, so it remains popular even
      though it is not inherently an easy dance (I've watched Science Fiction fans
      try to get the hang of it at convention Regency dances - it's not easy).

      At midwinter Lady Barbara gave me a list of dances she does in
      al-Barran. We didn't have nearly enough time to chat, but I gather that
      only some of the dances are done with any regularity. One that they did
      perform was Ballo del Fiore, a fun 16th century Italian dance. I haven't
      ever done this one, but I hope to introduce it soon in Caerthe. Its always
      good to see more dancers and new (to us) dances.

      Here's a question for the list: What dances do you see/want to see at
      your events and what dances do you regularly practice? How often do you
      practice?

      Another question: What do you know about these dances? Would an
      ongoing discussion of dance history be of general interest to the list?

      Rattle, rattle ... anyone out there?

      Keith / Guillaume S:}>
      Caerthe

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2000
        In al-Barran we have dance practice at least once a week, for the
        most part. More often for the performance group, the al-Barranian
        Court Dancers, when we are preparing for a performance or if we have
        some new members of the performance group. The performance group has
        a repertoire of the following dances: Ballo del Fiore, Gathering
        Peasecods, Hearts Ease, Road to the Isles (a personal favorite), al-
        Barranian Pavan (an al-Barran SCA creation), Korobushka (a russian
        folk dance not period but lot's of fun), Circle Waltz, Wherligig,
        Angus Reel, and Scotch Cap. This month we will be working on some new
        dances Black Nag, the Morisco (or Moresca), and a Volte(or Volta)
        dance. I am also preparing to introduce a Galliard and a Gavotte. I'd
        also like to hear any suggestions from the egroup for any other
        dances they think would be appropriate to learn. Also to Bronwyn, I
        have a lot of the dance documentation if you want it, just let me
        know before the next practice (Sunday, January 7th from 6pm to 8pm).
        YIS
        Lyonette Drouet de Saint Amand
        mka Deborah Gentit