RE: Digest Number 45

  • Swashbuckler
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2000

      I've noticed with some frustration that some groups favor out of period
      dance. This survey was not meant to discover the most popular dances (I
      think the Macarena easily wins), but rather those which each of us wished to
      recommend to the group as somehow 'essential'. That may be the popular
      dances, but it doesn't have to be. In fact, as each group has different
      fav's, I would suggest we try not to focus the "should know" list too much
      on those. That's why I suggested a variety of basic dances. All but two of
      mine were period, and those were at least plausibly period. That this was
      also, generally, true of the other lists pleases me. (Note that the top two
      dances, selected by everyone including me, are not technically period.)

      I believe that the SCA is here to research and recreate period
      activities as best we can. As we have plenty of documentation for safe, fun
      Renaissance dances, I feel it inappropriate to spend much time on blatantly
      out of period dances - there are other groups for that. Football may be
      popular, but it doesn't belong at a baseball game (and both are fun and
      popular in their place).

      Some groups, unfamiliar with period dance, seem to fear it. They like
      their regency and modern dances with endless repetitions - they know them,
      and if one doesn't know the dance, one will have lots of practice by the end
      of one's first try. By practicing and showing off the period dances I hope
      to convince others that these are just as fun, not hard, and at least
      equally valid. Petit Riens seems to be working.

      OK, here's another question for everyone - what are your personal
      favorite period dances?

      Keith / Guillaume