Re: Digest Number 45

  • Jeanne Stapleton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2000
      > About three weeks ago, I asked "what 12 dances
      > do you think every
      > dancer in the Outlands should know and why?" The
      > question was posted on the
      > sca-dance list last year and I was curious what the
      > results would be here in
      > the Outlands.
      >

      > Moving on to the Outlands-dance list, we only
      > had four responses to my
      > question (including my own). Proportionally, I
      > think that's better than the
      > SCA-dance list. But we came up with 30 dances plus
      > two non-beginners
      > favorites (Whirligig and Verceppe - I agree that
      > they are great dances, once
      > you know them). Our top dances:
      >
      > Black Nag (4 votes)
      > "Belle Qui" (Carolingian) pavan (4)
      > Gathering Peascods (3)
      > Horses Bransle (2.5)
      > Petit Riens (2)
      > Gelosia (2)
      > Galliards/Cinq Pas (2)
      > Black Alman (2)
      > Heart's Ease (2)
      > Maltese Bransle (2)
      > Hole in the Wall (2)
      > Sellinger's Round (2)
      >
      > plus:
      > Casulle la Nouelle (1.5)
      > Pease Bransle (1.5)
      >
      > With only four data points, I am not
      > comfortable giving much authority
      > to this list. Only Caerthe and Dragonsspine are
      > represented, and I know
      > there are important dance leaders (not to mention
      > active dancers) in Caer
      > Galen and Unser Hafen. Al-Barran also has a
      > fledgling but enthusiastic
      > dance group. Unfortunately, I am not sure if these
      > groups are represented
      > on the outlands-dance list.

      While I wouldn't presume to project a couple of exper-
      iences on the entire group, I do have to comment that
      I've been to a couple of Unser Hafen events that were
      dance practices or had a large amount of dance
      present;
      it was about half and half period and OOP. The big
      favorite that gets done further to the north is
      Circle Waltz. I know that at the Caer Galen Dance
      thing where Giles was GoH, we got frequent requests
      for OOP stuff by people phrasing it as "When do we
      get to do the *fun* dances?"

      Also things like Karabushka and Troika.

      Berengaria
      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Swashbuckler
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2000

        I've noticed with some frustration that some groups favor out of period
        dance. This survey was not meant to discover the most popular dances (I
        think the Macarena easily wins), but rather those which each of us wished to
        recommend to the group as somehow 'essential'. That may be the popular
        dances, but it doesn't have to be. In fact, as each group has different
        fav's, I would suggest we try not to focus the "should know" list too much
        on those. That's why I suggested a variety of basic dances. All but two of
        mine were period, and those were at least plausibly period. That this was
        also, generally, true of the other lists pleases me. (Note that the top two
        dances, selected by everyone including me, are not technically period.)

        I believe that the SCA is here to research and recreate period
        activities as best we can. As we have plenty of documentation for safe, fun
        Renaissance dances, I feel it inappropriate to spend much time on blatantly
        out of period dances - there are other groups for that. Football may be
        popular, but it doesn't belong at a baseball game (and both are fun and
        popular in their place).

        Some groups, unfamiliar with period dance, seem to fear it. They like
        their regency and modern dances with endless repetitions - they know them,
        and if one doesn't know the dance, one will have lots of practice by the end
        of one's first try. By practicing and showing off the period dances I hope
        to convince others that these are just as fun, not hard, and at least
        equally valid. Petit Riens seems to be working.

        OK, here's another question for everyone - what are your personal
        favorite period dances?

        Keith / Guillaume

        > About three weeks ago, I asked "what 12 dances
        > do you think every dancer in the Outlands should know
        > and why?" The question was posted on the sca-dance
        > list last year and I was curious what the results
        > would be here in the Outlands.
        <etc.>