RE: Top dances for the Outlands

  • Karen Jordan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
      Let's see. What dances should every Outlander know and why? I'll try to pick
      some of each type of dance and the easiest of those. Last year, ECDs were the
      overall favorite in Dragonsspine.

      Heart's Ease (2 couple) A very popular dance because of the heavy flirting.
      Some people show up only for this dance and grab anyone in the room for a
      partner - so you should know this if you're going to be in the room. Rufty
      Tufty is not nearly as popular - too fast for the flirting.

      Black Nag (3 couple) A good mix of complexity and repetition. It's impressive
      with alternating sets, but often leads to "combat black nag". Jenny Pluck
      Pears just isn't as well known. I like Beggar Boy, but I think it's complex
      for a "need to know".

      Oranges and Lemons (4 couple) A very slow and elegant dance. Great demo
      piece. I like it better than Hyde Park, especially when people have long
      sleeves for tossing oranges and lemons.

      Dargason (4 couple) It's nice for newcomers who can watch for a while as 4th
      couple and pick up the steps � unless you're in An Tir where there were a heck
      of a lot more steps than we have and I did NOT catch all that as a newcomer.

      Sellinger's Round (as many) A nice intro to ECDs and harder to mess up than
      Gathering Peascods. It's a nice "grab and go" dance for demos - you can
      usually grab people from the audience and get them up to speed in decent
      time.

      Female Sailor (as many) A long, active dance. If you don't know it when the
      music starts, you'll get it by the time the music ends. I think Juice of
      Barley is easier, but I've heard people scream when Female Sailor is
      announced.

      Belle Qui (as many) The basic pavane steps. You can use it for a
      processional. Earl of Salisbury is much more interesting, but if you know the
      pavane steps, you can pick it up.

      Maltese/Official/Horse's Bransle (as many) Yes, 3 bransles, but they're
      popular ones. Look how many ECD's I've got up there. I think these are good
      because they have short stories/descriptions for the dances. These are also
      "grab and go" dances for demos � well, maybe not Official �

      Gelosia (3 couple) I like Casuelle better, but more people know Gelosia.
      Casuelle feels like water. Gelosia's easier on the girls than on the guys.
      Good demo piece.

      Hole in the Wall (as many) Oh, the ever-popular, never-ending, non-period
      dance. I think this is supposed to be the #1 need-to-know dance for the
      entire SCA.

      Shouldn't be included in the list above, but I like them:
      Whirligig and Verceppi - It's fun when everyone knows what they're doing! We
      almost had a demo set going �

      Cetharyne (Karen Jordan)
      Dragonsspine/Tygre's Keep, Outlands

      P.S. No, I didn't pick Black Alman!

    • Swashbuckler
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2000
        Still hoping for more input from others (maybe the holidays were a bad
        time), here's my list of twelve dances everyone should know:

        Petit Riens - lots of fun, 15th century Italian chasing dance. Easy to
        learn
        and still fun for the experienced dancer, and a fun introduction to
        Italian dances. Did I mention that its fun, too?

        Rostiboli Gioioso - A basic 15th century Italian Ballo. Do one, others will
        be
        easier to learn. A slower chasing dance, this is sexy and fun.

        Il Piantone - A very easy, fun 16th century Italian dance. Any other 16c's?

        Galliards (cinq pas & a variation or two) - THE dance for all of Renaissance

        Europe. Period aerobics, the galliard looks great, leads to
        variations
        like La Volta, and makes everything else seem easy. Besides, they're
        fun.

        "Carolingian" Pavan (Belle Qui Tiens Ma Vie) - OK, its a modern
        interpretaion,
        but its more fun than the basic Pavan in Arbeau and the music is
        lovely.

        Casuelle la Novelle (or Lauro, Joyoussance, or any bassa danse) - There are
        over
        500 bassa danses extant from our period (music and/or steps), how
        could we
        not do one? Besides, they are pretty, easy, and fun. Again: learn
        one,
        and your ready for them all.

        Bransle Montarde - Half of Arbeau is bransles. We need a mixed bransle, and
        its
        interesting and fun.

        Bransle des Pois (Pease) - A cute mimed bransle, easy and fun.

        Black Almain - Have to have an Old Measure. This is as difficult as they
        come,
        and its still a good, fun beginner's dance.

        Gathering Peascods - A rousing, fun English country dance for as many as
        will.

        Rufty Tufty - A fun English country dance for two couples.

        Black Nag - Ever popular basic English country dance. This one is fun too.

        These are basic dances taken from 15th and 16th century Italian, 16th
        century Burgundian, French, and English (Old Measures), and early English
        Country (1651) sources. Black Nag is 3rd edition Playford, but is
        archtypical of three couple English County Dances. Substitute Upon A
        Summer's Day or the more challenging Picking Up Sticks and you stay with
        first edition Playford. The "Carolingian" pavan is a modern interpretation
        of period pavans done to beautiful period pavan music (because the period
        pavans seem exceedingly boring when your references are Arbeau and the
        Quadran Pavan). Remove the ornamentation and you have a period pavan.

        All of these dances are fun. All are period or very like period
        dances. Once a dancer has accomplished any of these, many dances in the
        same genre will be easier and less intimidating. These dances cover every
        major area of readily available historical dance. If all are known, a
        dancer will be well positioned to learn almost any new dance.

        I would like another 16th century Italian for the list, and will
        eventualy want one from the Gresley manuscript (which is too cutting edge
        for us just now). Meanwhile, the Outlands can do well with the dances
        listed above.

        Note that these are good dances for everyone to know because they are
        fun, cover a broad range of styles, and are not difficult. That said, there
        are a couple that I have only done a few of times - and my new addition, Il
        Piantone, I've only done once (but it's sooooo easy). I think this is a
        good (basic) list of what 'everyone' 'should' know. Also, there can be no
        final, ultimate list - this is just a starting place for thought and is
        subject to constant review.

        This short list is for the casual dancer. Those of us especially
        interested in dancing will want to learn many more dances, particularly in
        our favorite styles. The list above can still serve as a reminder of the
        range of historical dance embraced by the SCA.

        Up next: some excerpts from the sca-dance list top 12 discussion.

        Keith / Guillaume

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 21, 2000

          About three weeks ago, I asked "what 12 dances do you think every
          dancer in the Outlands should know and why?" The question was posted on the
          sca-dance list last year and I was curious what the results would be here in
          the Outlands.

          Also, while preparing for Caerthen Twelfth Night, The Honorable Lady
          Caelainn (leader of our fine musicians) asked me to list the top 20 dances
          in the Outlands. She wanted to prepare sheet music to take with her to
          every event so she would always have our most requested pieces. Not quite
          the same question, but similar. As it happens, Caelainn ended up with more
          than 20 and is willing to add more if needed.

          So what dances should everyone know? No definitive answer is possible.

          This is an exercise to evaluate and share where we are, where we want to
          go, and how we view dance in the SCA. I know my list has changed just in
          the last year, and I expect it will in the future.

          I counted eleven people who responded on the sca-dance list. Between
          them, they named 65 dances. One did responded with only eight: galliard,
          the sink-a-pace, the gagliarda, the cinque-pas, the tourdion, the gagliard,
          tordglione, and tordion with the comment "If you can do these, you can fake
          your way through anything :-)". Yes, these are all essentially the same and
          I counted them as one dance. Most, however, responded with a variety of
          dances. They reasoned that everyone "should" know a basic dance in each of
          the styles appropriate to the SCA's period. Then it would be easier to
          learn any new dances that are encountered. It was noted that "should" does
          not mean "does". This is more like an ideal to be sought even if never
          fully achieved.

          17 of the dances named were Italian, 16 English Country from Playford,
          13 French from Arbeau (although two were suites of four, which totals 18
          French [one duplicate] - not counting the pavan or basse dance), 6 were
          Basse Dances, 5 Old Measures, and 3 Pavans (plus 5 others, if you're
          counting, including a wish for a Gresley dance). 29 dances were mentioned
          more than once. I tallied the "votes", allowing one vote for each dance in
          each list, but counting only half a vote for each dance that shared a spot
          (i.e. "Grimstock (or Black Nag)" each got 1/2). So, from the sca-dance
          list, "what 12 dances should every SCA gentle know?":

          Petit Vriens (8 votes)
          Rostibolli Gioioso (6.5)
          Galliards & La Volta, Tourdion (6.5)
          Gathering Peascods (5 plus two 1/2's)
          Ballo del Fiore (6)
          Black Alman (6)
          Branles Official (5.5)
          Black Nag (3 plus two 1/2's)
          Rufty Tufty (4)
          Horses Bransle (4)
          Gelosia (3.5)
          Sellingers Round (3.5)

          That's three 15th c. Italians, Galliards (everyone did them), four
          English Country dances, one 16th c. Italian, one Old Measure, and two
          Bransles. Except for Basse Dances and/or Pavans (no single favorite tops
          the list), a pretty decent sampling of period dance styles. Note that the
          top seven dances were all mentioned by at least half of the respondents.

          I've done eleven of these and we've taught ten of them at Caerthen
          practice. Not bad. I've also done nine (and we've taught eighth) of the
          next twelve (plus Charlotte from "A bransle suite (cassandra, pinagay,
          charlotte, and aridan...)"). Of course these are well known, and I've been
          around some, so I "should" have seen them before. In fact, as I go down the
          list, I've never even heard of some of the less mentioned dances. That's
          regional variation for you.

          Few out of period dances were mentioned. "Hole in the Head...er..umm..
          Wall" got one vote plus a "just seeing if you're paying attention" that was
          changed to Earl of Salisbury Pavan (a modern ornamentation of Quadran
          Pavan). That doesn't mean that nobody in the Known World does out of period
          dances, just that the respondents to this question wish everyone also knew
          these period dances.

          We are, of course, under no obligation to follow anyone's lists, but I
          think its good to see what people in other kingdoms consider important. We
          can keep this in mind when practicing dances for inter kingdom events like
          Estrella, Gulf Wars, or Pennsic.

          Moving on to the Outlands-dance list, we only had four responses to my
          question (including my own). Proportionally, I think that's better than the
          SCA-dance list. But we came up with 30 dances plus two non-beginners
          favorites (Whirligig and Verceppe - I agree that they are great dances, once
          you know them). Our top dances:

          Black Nag (4 votes)
          "Belle Qui" (Carolingian) pavan (4)
          Gathering Peascods (3)
          Horses Bransle (2.5)
          Petit Riens (2)
          Gelosia (2)
          Galliards/Cinq Pas (2)
          Black Alman (2)
          Heart's Ease (2)
          Maltese Bransle (2)
          Hole in the Wall (2)
          Sellinger's Round (2)

          plus:
          Casulle la Nouelle (1.5)
          Pease Bransle (1.5)

          With only four data points, I am not comfortable giving much authority
          to this list. Only Caerthe and Dragonsspine are represented, and I know
          there are important dance leaders (not to mention active dancers) in Caer
          Galen and Unser Hafen. Al-Barran also has a fledgling but enthusiastic
          dance group. Unfortunately, I am not sure if these groups are represented
          on the outlands-dance list.

          Hopefully, this will give everyone something to think about. Maybe we
          can try the exercise again sometime.

          Keith / Guillaume