Re: Top dances for the Outlands

  • Sheila McClune
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 1999
      At 11:41 AM 12/31/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >> Which 12 dances should _every_ SCA gentle know?

      Well, in my opinion, there should be ...

      A couple of the early Italian dances:

      1. Petit Riens (the hot "new" dance hit here in Caerthe)
      2. Gelosia (lots of fun flirting)

      At least one Burgundian basse dance

      3. Casulle la Nouelle (very graceful and pretty to watch)

      A few things from Arbeau (because once you know a few, you can learn the
      rest pretty quickly):
      4. Bransle Charlotte
      5. Either Pease or Horses Bransle
      6. Carolingian Pavan (Belle Qui)
      7. Basic Galliards (Cinq Pas)

      A couple of Old Measures:
      8. Quadran Pavan
      9. Black Alman

      And some Playford:
      10. Heartsease (another fun flirting dance)
      11. Black Nag
      12. Gathering Peasecods

      Some late Italian dances would be good, too, but I don't know any that well
      (yet), so I don't know which would be good for the basic "everyone should
      know this" repertoire.

      But I think this list covers a pretty wide range of what's out there, and
      also has dances suitable for folks of different abilities. I think the
      easiest one on there is Quadran Pavan, which almost anyone could learn in
      two minutes or less. Horses Bransle isn't much harder. And while there
      are also some slightly more challenging dances, so folks won't get bored,
      most of these dances can be taught in fifteen minutes or less. I really
      don't think we can expect everyone to know the high-power performance
      pieces -- save those for us dance geeks who really wouldn't mind working on
      just one really complicated dance for a whole practice. :)

      And all of these dances are good building blocks for other dances of their
      type. If you've taught people Black Nag and Gathering Peasecods, they know
      much of what they need for any of the "standard" Playford dances: doubles,
      siding, arming, heys, the verse-chorus structure. If they know Petit Riens
      and Gelosia, they are familiar with many of the steps used in the early
      Italian dances.

      Well, that's my tuppence, anyway .............

      Arwen
    • Karen Jordan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2000
        Let's see. What dances should every Outlander know and why? I'll try to pick
        some of each type of dance and the easiest of those. Last year, ECDs were the
        overall favorite in Dragonsspine.

        Heart's Ease (2 couple) A very popular dance because of the heavy flirting.
        Some people show up only for this dance and grab anyone in the room for a
        partner - so you should know this if you're going to be in the room. Rufty
        Tufty is not nearly as popular - too fast for the flirting.

        Black Nag (3 couple) A good mix of complexity and repetition. It's impressive
        with alternating sets, but often leads to "combat black nag". Jenny Pluck
        Pears just isn't as well known. I like Beggar Boy, but I think it's complex
        for a "need to know".

        Oranges and Lemons (4 couple) A very slow and elegant dance. Great demo
        piece. I like it better than Hyde Park, especially when people have long
        sleeves for tossing oranges and lemons.

        Dargason (4 couple) It's nice for newcomers who can watch for a while as 4th
        couple and pick up the steps � unless you're in An Tir where there were a heck
        of a lot more steps than we have and I did NOT catch all that as a newcomer.

        Sellinger's Round (as many) A nice intro to ECDs and harder to mess up than
        Gathering Peascods. It's a nice "grab and go" dance for demos - you can
        usually grab people from the audience and get them up to speed in decent
        time.

        Female Sailor (as many) A long, active dance. If you don't know it when the
        music starts, you'll get it by the time the music ends. I think Juice of
        Barley is easier, but I've heard people scream when Female Sailor is
        announced.

        Belle Qui (as many) The basic pavane steps. You can use it for a
        processional. Earl of Salisbury is much more interesting, but if you know the
        pavane steps, you can pick it up.

        Maltese/Official/Horse's Bransle (as many) Yes, 3 bransles, but they're
        popular ones. Look how many ECD's I've got up there. I think these are good
        because they have short stories/descriptions for the dances. These are also
        "grab and go" dances for demos � well, maybe not Official �

        Gelosia (3 couple) I like Casuelle better, but more people know Gelosia.
        Casuelle feels like water. Gelosia's easier on the girls than on the guys.
        Good demo piece.

        Hole in the Wall (as many) Oh, the ever-popular, never-ending, non-period
        dance. I think this is supposed to be the #1 need-to-know dance for the
        entire SCA.

        Shouldn't be included in the list above, but I like them:
        Whirligig and Verceppi - It's fun when everyone knows what they're doing! We
        almost had a demo set going �

        Cetharyne (Karen Jordan)
        Dragonsspine/Tygre's Keep, Outlands

        P.S. No, I didn't pick Black Alman!

      • Swashbuckler
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2000
          Still hoping for more input from others (maybe the holidays were a bad
          time), here's my list of twelve dances everyone should know:

          Petit Riens - lots of fun, 15th century Italian chasing dance. Easy to
          learn
          and still fun for the experienced dancer, and a fun introduction to
          Italian dances. Did I mention that its fun, too?

          Rostiboli Gioioso - A basic 15th century Italian Ballo. Do one, others will
          be
          easier to learn. A slower chasing dance, this is sexy and fun.

          Il Piantone - A very easy, fun 16th century Italian dance. Any other 16c's?

          Galliards (cinq pas & a variation or two) - THE dance for all of Renaissance

          Europe. Period aerobics, the galliard looks great, leads to
          variations
          like La Volta, and makes everything else seem easy. Besides, they're
          fun.

          "Carolingian" Pavan (Belle Qui Tiens Ma Vie) - OK, its a modern
          interpretaion,
          but its more fun than the basic Pavan in Arbeau and the music is
          lovely.

          Casuelle la Novelle (or Lauro, Joyoussance, or any bassa danse) - There are
          over
          500 bassa danses extant from our period (music and/or steps), how
          could we
          not do one? Besides, they are pretty, easy, and fun. Again: learn
          one,
          and your ready for them all.

          Bransle Montarde - Half of Arbeau is bransles. We need a mixed bransle, and
          its
          interesting and fun.

          Bransle des Pois (Pease) - A cute mimed bransle, easy and fun.

          Black Almain - Have to have an Old Measure. This is as difficult as they
          come,
          and its still a good, fun beginner's dance.

          Gathering Peascods - A rousing, fun English country dance for as many as
          will.

          Rufty Tufty - A fun English country dance for two couples.

          Black Nag - Ever popular basic English country dance. This one is fun too.

          These are basic dances taken from 15th and 16th century Italian, 16th
          century Burgundian, French, and English (Old Measures), and early English
          Country (1651) sources. Black Nag is 3rd edition Playford, but is
          archtypical of three couple English County Dances. Substitute Upon A
          Summer's Day or the more challenging Picking Up Sticks and you stay with
          first edition Playford. The "Carolingian" pavan is a modern interpretation
          of period pavans done to beautiful period pavan music (because the period
          pavans seem exceedingly boring when your references are Arbeau and the
          Quadran Pavan). Remove the ornamentation and you have a period pavan.

          All of these dances are fun. All are period or very like period
          dances. Once a dancer has accomplished any of these, many dances in the
          same genre will be easier and less intimidating. These dances cover every
          major area of readily available historical dance. If all are known, a
          dancer will be well positioned to learn almost any new dance.

          I would like another 16th century Italian for the list, and will
          eventualy want one from the Gresley manuscript (which is too cutting edge
          for us just now). Meanwhile, the Outlands can do well with the dances
          listed above.

          Note that these are good dances for everyone to know because they are
          fun, cover a broad range of styles, and are not difficult. That said, there
          are a couple that I have only done a few of times - and my new addition, Il
          Piantone, I've only done once (but it's sooooo easy). I think this is a
          good (basic) list of what 'everyone' 'should' know. Also, there can be no
          final, ultimate list - this is just a starting place for thought and is
          subject to constant review.

          This short list is for the casual dancer. Those of us especially
          interested in dancing will want to learn many more dances, particularly in
          our favorite styles. The list above can still serve as a reminder of the
          range of historical dance embraced by the SCA.

          Up next: some excerpts from the sca-dance list top 12 discussion.

          Keith / Guillaume

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 21, 2000

            About three weeks ago, I asked "what 12 dances do you think every
            dancer in the Outlands should know and why?" The question was posted on the
            sca-dance list last year and I was curious what the results would be here in
            the Outlands.

            Also, while preparing for Caerthen Twelfth Night, The Honorable Lady
            Caelainn (leader of our fine musicians) asked me to list the top 20 dances
            in the Outlands. She wanted to prepare sheet music to take with her to
            every event so she would always have our most requested pieces. Not quite
            the same question, but similar. As it happens, Caelainn ended up with more
            than 20 and is willing to add more if needed.

            So what dances should everyone know? No definitive answer is possible.

            This is an exercise to evaluate and share where we are, where we want to
            go, and how we view dance in the SCA. I know my list has changed just in
            the last year, and I expect it will in the future.

            I counted eleven people who responded on the sca-dance list. Between
            them, they named 65 dances. One did responded with only eight: galliard,
            the sink-a-pace, the gagliarda, the cinque-pas, the tourdion, the gagliard,
            tordglione, and tordion with the comment "If you can do these, you can fake
            your way through anything :-)". Yes, these are all essentially the same and
            I counted them as one dance. Most, however, responded with a variety of
            dances. They reasoned that everyone "should" know a basic dance in each of
            the styles appropriate to the SCA's period. Then it would be easier to
            learn any new dances that are encountered. It was noted that "should" does
            not mean "does". This is more like an ideal to be sought even if never
            fully achieved.

            17 of the dances named were Italian, 16 English Country from Playford,
            13 French from Arbeau (although two were suites of four, which totals 18
            French [one duplicate] - not counting the pavan or basse dance), 6 were
            Basse Dances, 5 Old Measures, and 3 Pavans (plus 5 others, if you're
            counting, including a wish for a Gresley dance). 29 dances were mentioned
            more than once. I tallied the "votes", allowing one vote for each dance in
            each list, but counting only half a vote for each dance that shared a spot
            (i.e. "Grimstock (or Black Nag)" each got 1/2). So, from the sca-dance
            list, "what 12 dances should every SCA gentle know?":

            Petit Vriens (8 votes)
            Rostibolli Gioioso (6.5)
            Galliards & La Volta, Tourdion (6.5)
            Gathering Peascods (5 plus two 1/2's)
            Ballo del Fiore (6)
            Black Alman (6)
            Branles Official (5.5)
            Black Nag (3 plus two 1/2's)
            Rufty Tufty (4)
            Horses Bransle (4)
            Gelosia (3.5)
            Sellingers Round (3.5)

            That's three 15th c. Italians, Galliards (everyone did them), four
            English Country dances, one 16th c. Italian, one Old Measure, and two
            Bransles. Except for Basse Dances and/or Pavans (no single favorite tops
            the list), a pretty decent sampling of period dance styles. Note that the
            top seven dances were all mentioned by at least half of the respondents.

            I've done eleven of these and we've taught ten of them at Caerthen
            practice. Not bad. I've also done nine (and we've taught eighth) of the
            next twelve (plus Charlotte from "A bransle suite (cassandra, pinagay,
            charlotte, and aridan...)"). Of course these are well known, and I've been
            around some, so I "should" have seen them before. In fact, as I go down the
            list, I've never even heard of some of the less mentioned dances. That's
            regional variation for you.

            Few out of period dances were mentioned. "Hole in the Head...er..umm..
            Wall" got one vote plus a "just seeing if you're paying attention" that was
            changed to Earl of Salisbury Pavan (a modern ornamentation of Quadran
            Pavan). That doesn't mean that nobody in the Known World does out of period
            dances, just that the respondents to this question wish everyone also knew
            these period dances.

            We are, of course, under no obligation to follow anyone's lists, but I
            think its good to see what people in other kingdoms consider important. We
            can keep this in mind when practicing dances for inter kingdom events like
            Estrella, Gulf Wars, or Pennsic.

            Moving on to the Outlands-dance list, we only had four responses to my
            question (including my own). Proportionally, I think that's better than the
            SCA-dance list. But we came up with 30 dances plus two non-beginners
            favorites (Whirligig and Verceppe - I agree that they are great dances, once
            you know them). Our top dances:

            Black Nag (4 votes)
            "Belle Qui" (Carolingian) pavan (4)
            Gathering Peascods (3)
            Horses Bransle (2.5)
            Petit Riens (2)
            Gelosia (2)
            Galliards/Cinq Pas (2)
            Black Alman (2)
            Heart's Ease (2)
            Maltese Bransle (2)
            Hole in the Wall (2)
            Sellinger's Round (2)

            plus:
            Casulle la Nouelle (1.5)
            Pease Bransle (1.5)

            With only four data points, I am not comfortable giving much authority
            to this list. Only Caerthe and Dragonsspine are represented, and I know
            there are important dance leaders (not to mention active dancers) in Caer
            Galen and Unser Hafen. Al-Barran also has a fledgling but enthusiastic
            dance group. Unfortunately, I am not sure if these groups are represented
            on the outlands-dance list.

            Hopefully, this will give everyone something to think about. Maybe we
            can try the exercise again sometime.

            Keith / Guillaume