Rostiboli Gioioso

  • McClune, Sheila
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 1999
      Due to the fact that I was being extremely calendar-challenged this month,
      Caerthen Dance Practice was a little confused yesterday. No, yesterday was
      *not* the last Thursday of the month, so we were at the U-Hills library, not
      at Park Hill as I had announced to everyone. I apologize to anyone who was
      inconvenienced, and anyone who catches me being so challenged in the future
      is welcome to correct me by whatever means are necessary :)

      However ... since there was about half an hour where Guillaume and I were
      the only ones there, it meant that we had a rare opportunity to teach
      ourselves a new dance. We picked Rostiboli Gioioso, since it's a two-person
      dance and was on our "list of things to learn someday." I think it went
      pretty well, and we will be teaching it to the class at next week's Caerthen
      Practice.

      Since we only had a secondary source to go by, though (we hadn't anticipated
      having time to do this sort of thing and so didn't come completely
      prepared), we still need to go back and consult the primary sources (and
      probably some additional secondary sources) for clues that might lead us to
      interpret the steps or pattern differently. So what I was wondering was
      whether anyone else out there has ever done Rostiboli, and if so, what
      sources did you use and how did you choose to interpret it? Once we come up
      with our final interpretation, we'll post it here for further
      debate/discussion.

      Also, Doran (from Dragonsspine), began to teach us Whirl-a-gig. Because we
      had a limited number of dancers (and a couple of the ones we did have were
      injured and not up to full-speed dancing), we couldn't actually do it to
      music this time, but we plan to do another low-speed walk-through at the
      next practice, and then we're going to try it with the music. It looks like
      a fun but dizzy-making dance. Whee!

      Anyone else out there doing anything fun at their practices?