Introductions from new member

  • Mei the Phoenix
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2006
      Greetings to the list.
      As requested by the moderator, I'm posting my introduction.

      My name is Lin Shiao Mei. I am of the barony of al-Barran, formerly
      of the College of St. Golias. My interest in dancing is two-fold:
      primarily I am interested in collecting sheet music appropriate for
      distribution to musicians to provide live music for dancing, and I am
      interested in learning the dances myself.

      To the end of the first interest, collecting and distributing music, I
      founded Scorpion Scales, currently under the leadership of Lady
      Melody Shaw, one of the charter members. I have also set up a
      website that includes all of our current repertoire, as well as links to
      some of the better known sites for sheet music.
      http://home.comcast.net/~shiaomei/sscales.html

      In learning the dances, I am interested because they are fun, and
      also with the mind of teaching them myself. (Currently, only to my
      household, but also, as a backup caller, in case there isn't one
      available for a given event, or for starting up a dance group if I move
      out of kingdom again.)

      On a completely different note: I have a Chinese persona (NO, not
      Mongolian or Japanese or any of the other descendant races, but
      Chinese!) and I am curious to know if either the fan dance, or the
      ribbon dance are at all period, and if so how I might go about
      learning them. Mundanely I am ABC - American Born Chinese, so
      am about as knowledgeable on such topics as any Wai Guo Ren
      (foreigner). If either of these dances are at all appropriate, I'd love
      to perform them at a MidWinter or some such event, as a either a
      solo performance, or very small group performance.

      That's me in a nutshell, I think.

      Yours in Service,
      Lady Lin Shiao Mei, or Lady Lin, or just plain Mei (PLEASE do NOT
      call me "Lady Mei," as this is incorrect for my persona - (mka Mei
      Kohler)
      House Kindred Crafters, Founder - Scorpion Scales,
      Barony of al-Barran, Kingdom of the Outlands
      http://home.comcast.net/~shiaomei
      Gules, a demi-eagle erased and on a chief triangular argent a
      cinquefoil pierced purpure.