2006 Estrella Grand Ball Dance List

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2005
      2006 Estrella Grand Ball Dance List

      -----Original Message-----
      From: AtenDance@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Bruce Padget
      Sent: Mon 10/3/2005 1:58 PM
      To: AtenDance@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [AtenDance] Estrella Grand Ball Dance List

      The list, as I'd like to see it published, is
      bracketed by "========="  Feel free to forward all the
      notes to dancing-related lists as you see fit.

      *Carolingian Pavane+
      *Calontir Bransle+
      **Upon a Summer's Day
      Petit Riens

      *New Alman
      *Pease Bransle
      **Heralds in Love+

      *Black Alman
      *Montarde Bransle
      Mannshaft Pavane+

      *Madam Sosilia Alman
      **Hearts Ease
      Rostiboli Gioioso
      *Quen Quer Que+

      * Dance will be taught in full at the Ball, and is
      suitable for beginners.

      ** The chorus of the dance will be briefly taught.
      Dancers should have some familiarity with English
      Country Dance

      Dances not marked will not be taught at the Ball, but
      they will be taught in classes and open dance sessions
      before the Ball.

      + Dance invented in the SCA.  This is what we mean by,
      "Creative Anachronism."

      Thoughts --
      1.  I'd like to have more dances, but we do have
      40th-year festivities to work around. I'm sure the
      true dance wonks will hang out after.  I'll be trying
      to get the large ramada for open dance nights, so we
      have a hard (if not pretty) floor on which to exercise

      2.  It is our example, as dance scholars, that will
      start the ball on time and keep it moving.  I know it
      very well do neither. :D  But if we don't lead on
      this, it's guaranteed that it won't move smoothly.
      (Who's "we"?  If you care enough about dance to
      subscribe to a dance-related e-list, you're part of

      3.  Half the dances will be taught in full, and they
      take longer to dance than to teach.  Thus, a new
      person with any coordination and rhythm will be able
      to do half the dances, including the opening and
      closing ones.  My experience over a dozen Estrellas is
      that the Grand Ball draws a lot of beginners and very
      casual dancers, so when in doubt, I've balanced the
      list toward the beginner.  For dances that won't be
      taught, I've tried to choose widely-known ones.  I've
      also taken care to avoid simple dances that (in my
      experience) have appealed to the "gallumpher" that
      lurks in almost every beginner.  In the end, to be
      very blunt, my guide was that I'd rather see a lot of
      people dancing somewhat prettily than a few dancing

      4.  In honor of the 40th Year Celebration, I've
      included 5 SCA inventions.  I know I've included two
      Master Sion dances, but his stuff is so good,

      5. If it's feasible, can we get vocals on "Upon a
      Summer's Day" and/or "Hearts Ease?"  For "Quen Quer
      Que," vocals are a must.  It's going to be a noisy
      hall, so powerful may count for more than pretty on
      the vocals.

      Yahoo! Groups Links