Re: [OutlandsDance] Re: Lillies Ball - Musicians

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004

      gollum@... wrote:

      > In regards to instruments, are non-period, aucosic instruments
      > acceptable?

      To get a firm answer, you would need to ask on the Calontir Dance list, since
      that is where the original Lillies announcement appeared.

      I can, however, offer my observations: acoustic instruments are generally
      acceptable in pick-up groups, and I think it very unlikely that a clarinet would
      be a problem at Lillies. I think I know some of their musicians, and they
      don't strike me as the sort to be snobbish about period instruments.

      Of course most SCA musicians would probably prefer period instruments, just as
      any of us would like nicer garb, a bigger house, brilliant children, etc. That
      doesn't mean baroque or classical instruments are forbidden, just that we all do
      the best we can with what we have. Personally, I'd find a saxophone
      distracting, but I can't think of any other common acoustic instrument that
      serious musicians might bring that I'd have a problem with (not that I have any
      say at Lillies anyway). (Kazoos are probably bad, but you knew that).

      > > From: "Katriana" <calonkat@...>

      > > http://members.cox.net/calonkat/Lilies2004/

      Since the Lillies dance / music coordinator(s) chose to post the music for
      others to practice, that must mean they welcome drop ins. Since very few people
      can afford period instruments, and the organizers did not make a point of
      requiring them, I expect you'll be OK with what you have.

      If you want to be extra sure, email Katriana directly.

      If you get a chance, practice with some of the musicians at Lillies prior to the
      ball. This will let you see how they are used to performing the pieces (tempo,
      improv., etc.). It will also let them get used to you and learn something of
      your abilities. If you do a beautiful job with the melody line for a dance,
      they may ask you to play lead at the ball. If you show up at the ball and
      they've never seen you before, they'd have no way to know what you're
      comfortable doing or how well you'd do with their arrangements. Besides, you
      can get to know them better (make new friends) in an informal situation that at
      a ball where there isn't a lot of time for talking.

      Just a few thoughts from a dancer that has never been to Lillies, hasn't been to
      Pennsic in years, but has gone to 3 of 4 KW Dance Symposia and does work with
      local musicians from time to time.

      Keith / Guillaume S:}>
    • Evelyn Alden
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2004
        > In regards to instruments, are non-period, aucosic
        > instruments
        > acceptable? I have been playing much of the music
        > below with a group
        > here in al-Barran (Albuquerque, NM)on a clarinet...I
        > transcribe the
        > music as the clarinet is not in the key of C, but
        > Bb.
        >
        > In Service,
        > Lyneya del Filde
        > Scorpion Scales

        I'm not in charge of the musicians this year, but it's
        ok with me :-) I, myself, play a plastic baroque
        recorder, usually see-through green (it's my newest
        one) so authenticity very important to me (joke!)

        Seriously, it is having the live dance music that is
        important, not the exact method of production. Bring
        battery lights if you've got 'em, we play by "torch"
        light.

        I put up the Noteworthy Composer files to make it
        easier for those who have the program and need to
        transpose music to do so. I can do it for you if you
        need me to. I've always played "C" instruments
        though, you might remind me of where to move them to
        (if the first note is "C", make it "Bflat", right?
        Just move each line down 2 half steps?)

        katriana
        hasn't played since Crystall Ball 2003

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/