Re: Lillies Ball - Musicians

  • gollum@unm.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2 10:55 AM
      Katriana,

      In regards to instruments, are non-period, aucosic instruments
      acceptable? I have been playing much of the music below with a group
      here in al-Barran (Albuquerque, NM)on a clarinet...I transcribe the
      music as the clarinet is not in the key of C, but Bb.

      In Service,
      Lyneya del Filde
      Scorpion Scales

      Quoting OutlandsDance@yahoogroups.com:

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2 1:50 PM

        gollum@... wrote:

        > In regards to instruments, are non-period, aucosic instruments
        > acceptable?

        To get a firm answer, you would need to ask on the Calontir Dance list, since
        that is where the original Lillies announcement appeared.

        I can, however, offer my observations: acoustic instruments are generally
        acceptable in pick-up groups, and I think it very unlikely that a clarinet would
        be a problem at Lillies. I think I know some of their musicians, and they
        don't strike me as the sort to be snobbish about period instruments.

        Of course most SCA musicians would probably prefer period instruments, just as
        any of us would like nicer garb, a bigger house, brilliant children, etc. That
        doesn't mean baroque or classical instruments are forbidden, just that we all do
        the best we can with what we have. Personally, I'd find a saxophone
        distracting, but I can't think of any other common acoustic instrument that
        serious musicians might bring that I'd have a problem with (not that I have any
        say at Lillies anyway). (Kazoos are probably bad, but you knew that).

        > > From: "Katriana" <calonkat@...>

        > > http://members.cox.net/calonkat/Lilies2004/

        Since the Lillies dance / music coordinator(s) chose to post the music for
        others to practice, that must mean they welcome drop ins. Since very few people
        can afford period instruments, and the organizers did not make a point of
        requiring them, I expect you'll be OK with what you have.

        If you want to be extra sure, email Katriana directly.

        If you get a chance, practice with some of the musicians at Lillies prior to the
        ball. This will let you see how they are used to performing the pieces (tempo,
        improv., etc.). It will also let them get used to you and learn something of
        your abilities. If you do a beautiful job with the melody line for a dance,
        they may ask you to play lead at the ball. If you show up at the ball and
        they've never seen you before, they'd have no way to know what you're
        comfortable doing or how well you'd do with their arrangements. Besides, you
        can get to know them better (make new friends) in an informal situation that at
        a ball where there isn't a lot of time for talking.

        Just a few thoughts from a dancer that has never been to Lillies, hasn't been to
        Pennsic in years, but has gone to 3 of 4 KW Dance Symposia and does work with
        local musicians from time to time.

        Keith / Guillaume S:}>
      • Evelyn Alden
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3 9:40 AM
          > In regards to instruments, are non-period, aucosic
          > instruments
          > acceptable? I have been playing much of the music
          > below with a group
          > here in al-Barran (Albuquerque, NM)on a clarinet...I
          > transcribe the
          > music as the clarinet is not in the key of C, but
          > Bb.
          >
          > In Service,
          > Lyneya del Filde
          > Scorpion Scales

          I'm not in charge of the musicians this year, but it's
          ok with me :-) I, myself, play a plastic baroque
          recorder, usually see-through green (it's my newest
          one) so authenticity very important to me (joke!)

          Seriously, it is having the live dance music that is
          important, not the exact method of production. Bring
          battery lights if you've got 'em, we play by "torch"
          light.

          I put up the Noteworthy Composer files to make it
          easier for those who have the program and need to
          transpose music to do so. I can do it for you if you
          need me to. I've always played "C" instruments
          though, you might remind me of where to move them to
          (if the first note is "C", make it "Bflat", right?
          Just move each line down 2 half steps?)

          katriana
          hasn't played since Crystall Ball 2003

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/