Re: Encouraging Period Dance

    ... I also find that there s a proportional relationship between alcohol consumed and dancing at weddings. But the cool thing is that not only does your
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 1999
      > This sounds like the theory I use for mundane dancing. I only dance at
      > weddings, because my friends have probably seen me make a fool of myself
      > before, and the people I don't know, I'll probably never see again.

      I also find that there's a proportional relationship between alcohol
      consumed and dancing at weddings.

      But the cool thing is that not only does your impression of your own
      ability grow rosier, quite often people who are stiff *do* get better
      at dancing because they relax; and your tolerance of others' weird moves

      > All of the ideas for encouraging more dancing sound good. I would suggest
      > one more, and that is that some of the more experienced dancers ask relatively
      > new or inexperienced dancers to dance. It is easy to get into the habit of
      > dancing with certain people, especially spouses or signficant others. But if
      > you dance with a less experienced person, and help them get through the dance,
      > especially if you can try to make them look good in the process, it will
      > encourage them to dance more.

      I agree that it's important to dance with more people than just those you
      know, especially if you're part of a couple. An interesting "moral"
      judgment can intrude in that I find that sometimes very shy or very
      new couples not only don't want to dance with anyone else, but sometimes
      mistakenly judge others harshly. I find that a careful explanation can
      deal with the latter, and a good on-going example the former--"see,
      everyone really *does* dance with someone different every dance, but
      they save their favorite for their spouse..."

      It's a pity that modern society has gotten at once saturated with sex
      and at the same time judgmental of activities that formerly had no
      potential hidden meaning attached to them...

      > I think that the two biggest things are, making sure that there are
      > opportunities to dance at events, and teaching period dances on a regular
      > basis so that people know that they are fun.

      Precisely. And don't allow the dichotomy to continue to exist making
      "period" dances the opposite of "fun" dances.

      I don't like the fast, sloppy dances any more where people are just
      romping and not paying attention to their styling, artistry and manners.

      > For those who don't get CA, the latest issue covers period dance. I haven't
      > had a chance to read it yet, but I thought people would like to know.
      > Eric Edmundsson
      It's really great and quite thorough.