al-Barran May Day Celebration, May 2, 2004 event notice

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2004
      Please feel free to forward this event notice to other lists to which
      you belong. Thanks, Lady Barbara

      al-Barran May Day Celebration
      Barony of al-Barran
      Battan Park, NW corner of Lomas & Carlisle, Albuquerque, NM
      Sunday, May 2, A.S. XXXVIII (2004)
      Site opens at 9 AM and closes at 5 PM
      No site fee and the site is dry

      It’s May! It’s May! The lovely month of May! Come join us in a May
      Day Celebration of the performing arts at a mini-renaissance faire,
      hosted by the al-Barran Court Dancers. There will be dancing around two
      Maypoles, court dancing, middle eastern dancing, drumming, a “May Day
      Household Dance Competition”, singing, story telling, and puppetry.
      There will also be period games for adults and children, a heavy weapons
      tourney, a rapier tourney, merchants, a SCA items swap meet (clean out
      your collection of “SCA items” and bring them to swap, sell, or give
      away to newcomers and others) and classes for newcomers, along with
      regular fighter practice. We encourage you to wear your garb to this
      event and bring your period games, musical instruments, pillows,
      blankets, and chairs to sit on, as there will be lots of entertainment
      in the “Town Square” ! We are looking for individuals or households to
      sponsor and put on a heavy weapons tournament and a rapier tournament.
      If you are interested in hosting a tournament, entertaining, or teaching
      a class, please contact Lady Barbara. We will have special events and
      classes for newcomers, so this is a wonderful event to invite newcomers
      and your friends to. Come and make merry and contribute your talents
      and gifts to make this a Magical Day!!

      For the May Day Household Dance Competition, there will be six dance
      categories for adults and youth: court dance, maypole dance, and middle
      eastern dance. To enter this Household competition, a household does
      not have to have dancers in each of the six categories and they may have
      more than one entry in a given category (for example they may have two
      groups of dancers dancing different dances in the original court dance
      adult division.) Individuals, not affiliated with a household, may also
      enter this dance competition. Prizes will be awarded to the winners of
      each dance competition, as well as to the winning household. A sound
      system that plays CDs and audio tapes will be provided on May 2nd.

      The al-Barran Court Dancers, who are sponsoring this Household Dance
      Competition, will give private court dance lessons to your household at
      the park on Sundays during fighter practice or elsewhere. We will
      also make copies of the court dance music (just bring an audio tape to
      the park) and even help you in selecting court dances for your
      household dance performing groups of two, three, four, six, eight,
      members or more. Maypole dance practices will be at fighter practice
      park on Sundays 3/7, 3/28, 4/18 and 4/25 with maypole practice for
      everyone, 12:30-2:30pm. Households may reserve time before or after
      these times on these dates for working out their own maypole dances.
      Please contact Lady Barbara, for private dance lessons, and for
      reserving private time to practice and work out dances with the
      maypoles. We also strongly recommend that your maypole dance
      correographers attend some of the maypole dance practices, to figure out
      how the maypole streamers react to different moves by the dancers.

      Directions: Take I-40 in Albuquerque to the Carlisle exit. Exit onto
      Carlisle and go south on Carlisle to Lomas. Turn right (west) at the
      light onto Lomas and go just past the Walgreens to Battan Park. For
      further information, contact the autocrat, Lady Barbara (Barbara Krege),
      505-293-7453, krege@...