al-Barran March Shaft (newsletter) articles about court dancing events, from Lady Barbara (resent)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2004
      (al-Barran Shaft, March 2004)

      Heralds & Scribes Court Dance Ball
      College of Blaiddwyn
      Student Union Building, Ballroom C, University of New Mexico
      Saturday, March 27, XXXVIII (2004)
      Site opens at 7 PM and closes at 11PM
      No site fee and the site is dry

      Come Heralds and Scribes, come one and all, to the Heralds and Scribes
      Court Dance Ball! The college of Blaiddwyn is sponsoring this free
      ball. There will be lots of dancing to the beautiful music by the
      musicians of Scorpion Scales and a Bardic to end the evening. We will
      have entertainment to delight you and tables for playing board games and

      to sit around visiting with friends. Please bring your banners,
      heraldic art, and scrolls to display and wear your heraldic garb. We
      invite new heralds to participate in heralding the dances and the
      entertainment. If you would like to entertain at this ball, before the

      ball begins and between the dance sets, or if you wish to herald at the

      ball, please contact Lady Barbara. We are delighted that Mistress
      Arwen Southernwood and THL Guillaume de Gonzac, the Dance Mistress and
      Dance Master of Caerthe and Master Alwen, the Dance Master of
      Dragonsspine, will be among those leading the dancing at this ball. The

      College of Blaiddwyn, Scorpion Scales, and the al-Barran Court Dancers
      look forward to your joining us and making merry. For more information,

      go to the Heralds & Scribes Court Dance Ball website,
      www.unm.edu/~mariasol/h&s/ball.html. Co-autocrats: Lady Barbara
      (Barbara Krege), krege@..., 505-293-7453 and Lord Gauvain Eisenbein
      (Jeff King), gauvain_eisenbein@..., 385-4110.

      Directions: Take I-25 south past the Big I to the Central Street exit,
      #224. Turn left onto Central and go about one mile to the light at
      Stanford Drive. Turn left onto the UNM campus and go to the stop sign
      at Redondo Road. The Student Union Building (SUB) is behind (to the
      north of ) Popejoy Hall, just to your left. The SUB is also the third
      building to the east from Mitchell Hall, the site for the Heralds and
      Scribes Symposium. For a map of the UNM campus, go to
      www.unm.edu/campusmap.pdf

      (al-Barran Shaft--March & April, 2004)

      al-Barran May Day Celebration
      Barony of al-Barran
      Battan Park, NW corner of Lomas & Carlisle, Albuquerque, NM
      Sunday, May 2, A.S. XXXVIII (2004)
      Site opens at 9 AM and closes at 5 PM
      No site fee and the site is dry

      It’s May! It’s May! The lovely month of May! Come join us in a May
      Day Celebration of the performing arts at a mini-renaissance faire,
      hosted by the al-Barran Court Dancers. There will be dancing around two

      Maypoles, court dancing, middle eastern dancing, drumming, a “May Day
      Household Dance Competition”, singing, story telling, and puppetry.
      There will also be period games for adults and children, a heavy weapons

      tourney, a rapier tourney, merchants, a SCA items swap meet (clean out
      your collection of “SCA items” and bring them to swap, sell, or give
      away to newcomers and others) and classes for newcomers, along with
      regular fighter practice. We encourage you to wear your garb to this
      event and bring your period games, musical instruments, pillows,
      blankets, and chairs to sit on, as there will be lots of entertainment
      in the “Town Square” ! We are looking for individuals or households to
      sponsor and put on a heavy weapons tournament and a rapier tournament.
      If you are interested in hosting a tournament, entertaining, or teaching

      a class, please contact Lady Barbara. We will have special events and
      classes for newcomers, so this is a wonderful event to invite newcomers
      and your friends to. Come and make merry and contribute your talents
      and gifts to make this a Magical Day!!

      For the May Day Household Dance Competition, there will be eight dance
      categories for adults and youth: court dance, original court dance,
      maypole dance, and middle eastern dance. To enter this Household
      competition, a household does not have to have dancers in each of the
      eight categories and they may have more than one entry in a given
      category (for example they may have two groups of dancers dancing
      different dances in the original court dance adult division.)
      Individuals, not affiliated with a household, may also enter this dance
      competition. Prizes will be awarded to the winners of each dance
      competition, as well as to the winning household. A sound system that
      plays CDs and audio tapes will be provided on May 2nd.

      The al-Barran Court Dancers, who are sponsoring this Household Dance
      Competition, will give private court dance lessons to your household at
      the park on Sundays during fighter practice or elsewhere. We will
      also make copies of the court dance music (just bring an audio tape to
      the park) and even help you in selecting court dances for your
      household dance performing groups of two, three, four, six, eight,
      members or more. Maypole dance practices will be at fighter practice
      park on Sundays 3/7, 3/28, 4/18 and 4/25 with maypole practice for
      everyone, 12:30-2:30pm. Households may reserve time before or after
      these times on these dates for working out their own maypole dances.
      Please contact Lady Barbara, for private dance lessons, and for
      reserving private time to practice and work out dances with the
      maypoles. We also strongly recommend that your maypole dance
      correographers attend some of the maypole dance practices, to figure out

      how the maypole streamers react to different moves by the dancers.

      Directions: Take I-40 in Albuquerque to the Carlisle exit. Exit onto
      Carlisle and go south on Carlisle to Lomas. Turn right (west) at the
      light onto Lomas and go just past the Walgreens to Battan Park. For
      further information, contact the autocrat, Lady Barbara (Barbara Krege),

      505-293-7453, krege@...

      Court Dancing (March. 2004 Shaft article) (by Lady
      Barbara, 293-7453)

      Court dancing is certainly alive and well in al-Barran! Court dance
      practices are scheduled at fighter practice park (Battan Park, on Lomas,

      NW corner of Carlisle & Lomas) for Sundays, 2/29, 3/7, 3/28, 4/18 & 4/25

      from 12:30 to 2:30 pm. Everyone, age 7 and up, is welcome at these
      free court dance lessons. (Note: the practice for 3/21 has been
      canceled and replaced with one on 3/7.) March 27, there will be the
      “Heralds and Scribes Court Dance Ball”, from 7pm to 11pm at the student
      union building (SUB) in Ballroom C at UNM, sponsored by the College of
      Blaiddwyn. This will be a free event. (Please see the article
      elsewhere in this Shaft.) On April 3rd, at Sworded Affaire, there will
      be several hours of court dance lessons during the day and a court dance

      ball that evening after the feast. Our wonderful al-Barran musicians,

      Scorpion Scales, will fill the hall with their wonderful music for both
      of these balls! Those wishing to have Scorpion Scales play at their
      event or demos, should contact Lady Lin Shiao Mei at
      shiao_mei@... or 934-3952. There will also be court dancing,
      Sunday, May 2nd, at the May Day Celebration. For the latest concerning

      times and locations of dance or music practices, please go to
      www.yahoogroups.com and join the al-Barran music & dance list,
      alBarranMusic_Dance@yahoogroups.com.

      In March and April at dance practice in Battan Park, we will be doing
      lots of maypole dancing and creating a few maypole dances, in
      preparation for our “al-Barran May Day Celebration” at fighter practice
      park on Sunday, May 2nd (please see the event article elsewhere in the
      shaft). At this May Day event, in addition to regular fighter practice,

      there will be a rapier tourney, a heavy weapons tourney, a “May Day
      Household Dance Competition”, maypole dancing, court dancing, middle
      eastern dancing, drumming, period games for children and adults,
      singing, puppetry, story telling, merchants, a SCA items swap meet,
      classes for newcomers, and lots of entertainment in the Town Square. We

      hope you will come in garb to celebrate the coming of May and make merry

      with us. This event will be like a mini-Ren faire and all ideas are
      welcome. This is an excellent event to invite newcomers to, as we will
      have several things special for newcomers, including newcomer classes.
      We also need volunteers to put on the rapier tourney and also to put on
      the heavy weapons tourney. If you would like to entertain on May 2nd or

      at the Heralds and Scribes Court Dance Ball on March 27, or are willing
      to host either of these tourneys, please contact Lady Barbara at
      293-7453 or krege@....

      I wish to thank Gabriel de Morland and Lord Gauvain Eisenbein of
      Blaiddwyn for the opportunity to have a court dance ball and to teach
      court dance classes at Winter Wolf in January. Thanks too to Lord
      Canus Dragonblood and Lady Isabella al Harith for teaching and leading
      some of the dances during the Winter Wolf Court Dance Ball. A very
      special thank you to Lady Melody Shaw, who has been duplicating the sets

      of 3 al-Barran court dance cds (originally created for us by the
      generosity of Lord Sean of Rio de las Animas), that I have been giving
      to the shires, cantons, colleges, and baronies in the Outlands, along
      with the 8 page court dance instruction booklet of 34 dances that I
      created, to help spread court dancing in the Outlands. So far these
      gift sets have been given to 9 of the 28 active SCA groups in the
      Outlands. Lady Lin Shiao Mei has diligently researched and located
      almost all of the sheet music for those same 34 dances and has them
      available for downloading to help other SCA musicians, at her website,
      http://shiao_mei.home.comcast.net/sscales.html.

      I was invited by Baroness Constance of the Citadel of the Southern Pass
      to teach court dancing at their 12th Night & Investiture, January 17 in
      El Paso and it was just delightful teaching court dancing to the Barons
      and Baronesses of Caerthe and Dragonsspine. Their dedication to
      learning and their enjoyment of those dances, during those several
      hours, is a memory I will long treasure. A very special thank you to
      Baron Sabastian, who made this trip possible, donated the fabric for 32
      more maypole streamers, and custom made and donated our new, padded,
      carrying bag for our park, dance practice boombox. A very special thank

      you also to Thalauriana, who sewed the 32 maypole streamers.

      Yours in service to the dream,
      Lady Barbara

      (Back page, March al-Barran Shaft)
      Court Dance Practice
      Court dance practices are scheduled at fighter practice (Battan Park, NW

      corner of Lomas & Carlisle), 12:30 to 2:30 pm, Sundays, 2/29, 3/7, 3/28,

      4/18, and 4/25. Please contact Lady Barbara at 293-7453 or
      krege@... or join the al-Barran musicians and court dance list for

      the latest information concerning court dance practices, at
      alBarranMusic_Dance@yahoogroups.com. Everyone, age 7 and up, is welcome

      to these free court dance practices.