Re: Encouraging Period Dance

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 4 , May 21 9:48 PM
      This sounds like the theory I use for mundane dancing. I only dance at
      weddings, because my friends have probably seen me make a fool of myself
      before, and the people I don't know, I'll probably never see again.
      All of the ideas for encouraging more dancing sound good. I would suggest
      one more, and that is that some of the more experienced dancers ask relatively
      new or inexperienced dancers to dance. It is easy to get into the habit of
      dancing with certain people, especially spouses or signficant others. But if
      you dance with a less experienced person, and help them get through the dance,
      especially if you can try to make them look good in the process, it will
      encourage them to dance more.
      I think that the two biggest things are, making sure that there are
      opportunities to dance at events, and teaching period dances on a regular
      basis so that people know that they are fun.
      For those who don't get CA, the latest issue covers period dance. I haven't
      had a chance to read it yet, but I thought people would like to know.
      Eric Edmundsson
    • McClune, Sheila
      Message 2 of 4 , May 25 10:45 AM
        From: Eric <esbarnes@...>

        All of the ideas for encouraging more dancing sound good. I would suggest
        one more, and that is that some of the more experienced dancers ask
        relatively
        new or inexperienced dancers to dance. It is easy to get into the habit of
        dancing with certain people, especially spouses or signficant others. But
        if
        you dance with a less experienced person, and help them get through the
        dance,
        especially if you can try to make them look good in the process, it will
        encourage them to dance more.
        <<<

        One of the things we do try to do is mix it up so that people get to dance
        with lots of different partners. Our unofficial "rule" is that you
        shouldn't dance with someone twice until you've danced with everyone else
        there. I think that dancing with different partners helps a lot, and we do
        try to balance experienced dancers with inexperienced ones between sets,
        too.

        For those who don't get CA, the latest issue covers period dance. I haven't
        had a chance to read it yet, but I thought people would like to know.
        <<<

        I haven't had a chance to read this yet, either, since we just got it when
        we got home last night. But I got to meet the authors of this at Known
        World Dance, and they are cool folks. FYI, there is a CD of music to
        accompany the CA. I've ordered an advance copy, and I'll try to bring the
        info in tomorrow so I can tell other folks how to order it, too.

        And I'll be writing lots on KWD ... but not today, I'm busy catching up on
        three days' worth of work!

        With more than 17 million e-mails exchanged daily...
        http://www.onelist.com
        ...ONElist is THE place where the world talks!
        Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance. -- Dave Barry
      • JEANNE STAPLETON
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 1999
          > This sounds like the theory I use for mundane dancing. I only dance at
          > weddings, because my friends have probably seen me make a fool of myself
          > before, and the people I don't know, I'll probably never see again.

          I also find that there's a proportional relationship between alcohol
          consumed and dancing at weddings.

          But the cool thing is that not only does your impression of your own
          ability grow rosier, quite often people who are stiff *do* get better
          at dancing because they relax; and your tolerance of others' weird moves
          increases.

          > All of the ideas for encouraging more dancing sound good. I would suggest
          > one more, and that is that some of the more experienced dancers ask relatively
          > new or inexperienced dancers to dance. It is easy to get into the habit of
          > dancing with certain people, especially spouses or signficant others. But if
          > you dance with a less experienced person, and help them get through the dance,
          > especially if you can try to make them look good in the process, it will
          > encourage them to dance more.

          I agree that it's important to dance with more people than just those you
          know, especially if you're part of a couple. An interesting "moral"
          judgment can intrude in that I find that sometimes very shy or very
          new couples not only don't want to dance with anyone else, but sometimes
          mistakenly judge others harshly. I find that a careful explanation can
          deal with the latter, and a good on-going example the former--"see,
          everyone really *does* dance with someone different every dance, but
          they save their favorite for their spouse..."

          It's a pity that modern society has gotten at once saturated with sex
          and at the same time judgmental of activities that formerly had no
          potential hidden meaning attached to them...

          > I think that the two biggest things are, making sure that there are
          > opportunities to dance at events, and teaching period dances on a regular
          > basis so that people know that they are fun.

          Precisely. And don't allow the dichotomy to continue to exist making
          "period" dances the opposite of "fun" dances.

          I don't like the fast, sloppy dances any more where people are just
          romping and not paying attention to their styling, artistry and manners.

          > For those who don't get CA, the latest issue covers period dance. I haven't
          > had a chance to read it yet, but I thought people would like to know.
          > Eric Edmundsson

          It's really great and quite thorough.

          Berengaria